DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro 2 overheated in case while turned off

RickDee1965

Reactions
Yesterday I got my DJI Mavic Pro 2 out yesterday which had been in the case for a couple of months. I noticed an odd odor. After futher examination I noticed the plastic lens covers for the sensors and the plastic covers on the gimble cover were slightly deformed. It looked like it had gotten hot even when it was off. The drone was off when it was stored in its case and kept in a 68 degree environment the whole time.

First your in the MA2 thread, second never leave batteries in aircraft for this reason. There are reports of the M2 series turning on with defective batteries. People disagreed with me about storing batteries in aircraft and storing all batteries in case with with aircraft. Had your battery go "nuclear". It would have taken out all batteries and aircraft, but possibly and highly likely burnt down your home and then if happened dead of night?....you get the picture.

This is noted in a few threads about M2 batteries, no rhyme or reason why it happens to some and not others..other than trying to find out a batch date of batteries which not sure if that was ever established. If the aircraft is in warranty and possibly if battery is too, you can take a claim with DJI. They may even "listen" if outside of that warranty.

However I would imagine storing in aircraft and battery storage is mentioned in your owners manual that you should have read and anything done contrary to that advise would be on you...but doesn't hurt to at least try. 68° is too high to store a lipo though and coupled with the battery going to self discharge creating more heat might explain what happened.

Just bad storage on your part I am afraid to say IMHO. Battery Safety Guidelines, See line 4 of Battery Storage: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mav...igent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.I definitely wont leave the batteries in the unit anymore. I do feel lucky that it didnt catch fire. Do you think it's possible that I may have gotten lucky were the drone is concerned? right now it looks as if all I may need to do is replace the lower and upper housing shells and the gimble plastic covers which I've already ordered.

It looked like it had gotten hot even when it was off. The drone was off when it was stored in its case and kept in a 68 degree environment the whole time.
Welcome to the forum! Yes you were lucky.

It appears to be a learning moment for you, and for many other forum members. I had my M2P for several months before I learned this lesson myself...

I had everything stored in the wonderful hard case with custom foam that many love seeing, with four batteries in their slots, and one in the M2P. I can’t confirm that a battery turned on inadvertently, but while applying my Mavic Pilots decal to the outside, I noticed the case was warm. When opening the case, nothing was turned on, but the battery in the drone was warm. (Late 2018 batch with around 55 cycles at the time)

So now my batteries are stored long-term in a LiPo battery case. Bullet dodged for sure!

Thank you for your reply.I definitely wont leave the batteries in the unit anymore. I do feel lucky that it didnt catch fire. Do you think it's possible that I may have gotten lucky were the drone is concerned? right now it looks as if all I may need to do is replace the lower and upper housing shells and the gimble plastic covers which I've already ordered.
Only you know that, charge a battery up and check for function...outside to be safe obviously. Lesson learned and move on. :)

First your in the MA2 thread, second never leave batteries in aircraft for this reason. There are reports of the M2 series turning on with defective batteries. People disagreed with me about storing batteries in aircraft and storing all batteries in case with with aircraft. Had your battery go "nuclear". It would have taken out all batteries and aircraft, but possibly and highly likely burnt down your home and then if happened dead of night?....you get the picture.

This is noted in a few threads about M2 batteries, no rhyme or reason why it happens to some and not others..other than trying to find out a batch date of batteries which not sure if that was ever established. If the aircraft is in warranty and possibly if battery is too, you can take a claim with DJI. They may even "listen" if outside of that warranty.

However I would imagine storing in aircraft and battery storage is mentioned in your owners manual that you should have read and anything done contrary to that advise would be on you...but doesn't hurt to at least try. 68° is too high to store a lipo though and coupled with the battery going to self discharge creating more heat might explain what happened.

Just bad storage on your part I am afraid to say IMHO. Battery Safety Guidelines, See line 4 of Battery Storage: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mav...igent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_EN.pdf
68° F is certainly not too high to store batteries. 68°-78° is typical room temperature depending on outdoor climate and one's affinity for conserving energy. Are you suggesting storing them in the fridge? That I've seen is not recommended.

There's no need to condition the batteries unless you live in a frigid area. Keep in mind lithium is like people, we enjoy and have to most output capacity at around 65-70 degrees. The colder the cells are, the shorter the flight. This is typical of electric cars which I happen to own three - during winter we lose 20-30% of our capacity in cold weather. If you would like further information on lithium you can visit my personal web site at: www.rvvolt.com

Mike

68° is too high to store a lipo though
I'm in Florida, it hardly ever goes below 68. The AC in my house is set at 75 Degrees when it's 95 outside.
If this 68 degrees is listed somewhere I must have missed it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki