DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum - is it worth it?

heo3480

Reactions
This video shortly summarises what information I could find about the new DJI Mavic Pro Platinum.

What do you all think about it?

Likely clearing stock to make way for MAVIC 2
A new paint job and new style rotors?
Kinda pissed off as just bought mine 2 days ago, but I'm more than happy with it, although the new version would have been nice!!

The longer flight times and quieter running are welcome. I expect those two improvements are connected. Its not worth upgrading of course, but a move in the right direction.

Quieter, longer operation, a newer type of speed controllers for $100.00 more seems ok, but hopefully they have a newer Mavic Pro on the tables with some better features,
I'm happy with my Mavic Pro, I wish they would fix their DJI Go 4 software, that would impress me more.

Reactions: Wt3786 and eshaw119
No reason to upgrade IMO. Not until it gets a better camera.

Also, I would love to hear the first gen Mavic fitted with the new props (they are compatible).

Reactions: peakviews and kona
The propellers for the platinum can put on your mavic pro. This will make your MP just a quite as the platinum also it should increase our flight time also. I'm speculating ofcoarse but the noise and the time all most likely corollate to the new propeller design.

So buy the new props when they are available you can chose a option on dji to alert you when they are in stock. Then buy a sticker that says "platinum" and there you go you'll be keeping up with the joness in no time [emoji851]

The MP is practically flawless so I'm sure they are having a hard time making it appealing to customers considering the mavic pro is already pretty great if I say so my self

I like the small improvements overall less noise and touch better battery life nothing wrong with that.

Not enough to make me upgrade my current Mavic Pro, but maybe boost sales for guys looking to buy their first Mavic going into the holiday season.

Reactions: Londroner
I would agree there are no compelling quantum leap features to get the platinum. It seems like DJI would drop prices on Mavic Pro if they were trying to clear them out and get platinum sold. They probably figured out it would be easier to get users under their control by selling a new bird with new firmware.
I like the MP (more than my Spark or P3P), it flies great, video is great and I'm leaving it at version 700 until I see a real good reason to update. If the P3 was any lesson, they introduced more bugs than they fixed in each update. Pays to wait for others to discover the bugs.
I think DJI introduced a lot of models on Phantom trying to cover every price point / level. Maybe they are trying that with the Mavic, but it should have had an upgrade to the camera. They are due for a larger CCD sensor to improve image quality. There is no denying, however, they dominate the drone market.

Reactions: gppms and JMF
Agree with most of the above. The new features are nice but they aren't enough to make me regret buying my Mavic Pro a couple of weeks back.

At least it'll give dealers a chance the say they have the 'new model' in stock and give DJI a breathing space to work on the inevitable Mavic 2.

Kinda pissed off as just bought mine 2 days ago, but I'm more than happy with it, although the new version would have been nice!!

Buy yourself another battery and a set of the Platinum props when they come out and you will have something better.

DJI could have offered up these improvements as a simple upgrade you could buy for your Pro.
Platinum props, & some kind of download to improve flying time, eh, rather than a mavic pro with new make up/lipstick

DJI could have offered up these improvements as a simple upgrade you could buy for your Pro.
Platinum props, & some kind of download to improve flying time, eh, rather than a mavic pro with new make up/lipstick

They could have. However, the end user would need to open the Mavic and install the ESCs. I'm betting that is no simple task given the construction. They are offering the props for sale.

some kind of download to improve flying time

Not sure there is such a thing. There was a hardware change inside the new one (ESC = Electronic Speed Controller) as well as a prop change for the increased flight time.

I should say I think it's a hardware change, it's possible it's a firmware update? I get the gist of an ESC but can't say for sure.

Last edited:
As a guy who teaches aerodynamics as a helicopter flight instructor, my guess is that the majority of the increased flight time will come from the redesigned props. The dihedral swept design significantly reduces wing-tip vortices and greatly increases overall lift. I'm sure the tweaking of the ESCs help, but aerodynamically, the new prop design is what is going to give the increased air time.

This video shortly summarises what information I could find about the new DJI Mavic Pro Platinum.

What do you all think about it?

Updating to Platinum?

No, if you already own a Mavic Pro. Just buy a sets of the new props when available. (c’mon, + 3 min more flight time?)

No if you want to unleash the full potential of the drone

Yes if you are a buying a drone for the first time and want to enjoy great technology.

Reactions: Maldor and JMF
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan