DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum (Just Released)

Interesting refresh. Not enough for me to buy one. Rear sensors and an upgraded camera/gimbal might have persuaded me. This is a great option for someone who doesn't have a Mavic at all (in my opinion).

As for the new props - old aerodynamic design. My guess is that DJI had an idea about these since the conception of the Mavic but decided to save them for a refresh. The dihedral drooped tips have been around for a while. They reduce wing-tip vortices (increasing lift) and reduce noise signature. I'm surprised they haven't implemented them on the phantoms.

If only the gimbal and camera were an upgrade or replaceable with a few options id consider it, anyone selling their current mavic for a new one really is gaining nothing. If a china company can make it work, apple or microsoft sure as hell can and i cant wait to jump ship when someone does make something similar.

AND the firmware lock???

The firmware lock isn't reality - only conjecture at this point. My original question remains - is there anything intrinsically different about the Platinum that would lead one to believe regular Mavic firmware rollbacks wouldn't work? Do we really believe that Platinum's will be running distinctly different firmware from Pro's? If they've only marginally adjusted the ESC and changed out the props, why would they diverge the firmwares and upgrade process instead of sticking with one line of firmware/software for both. Heck they don't even use different versions of the DJI Go app for completely different DJI birds. Just asking...

A lot of this can only be answered as conjecture at this point. Fact is, nobody that can talk really knows until a few of us get our hands on one and I won't be one of'em because I have no interest in what it brings to the table beyond my MP. Especially not for $1100.

Folks this is exactly the same bird, compare the specs...3 minutes, lower DB, both accomplished it would seem and pointed out above by the new props. Nice color, but not worth reinvesting or going ape **** over.

I was thinking about a second unit so if I decided to get another I would get this one without a remote and basically for the cool color!

Reactions: Merlin23
The firmware lock isn't reality - only conjecture at this point. My original question remains - is there anything intrinsically different about the Platinum that would lead one to believe regular Mavic firmware rollbacks wouldn't work? Do we really believe that Platinum's will be running distinctly different firmware from Pro's? If they've only marginally adjusted the ESC and changed out the props, why would they diverge the firmwares and upgrade process instead of sticking with one line of firmware/software for both. Heck they don't even use different versions of the DJI Go app for completely different DJI birds. Just asking...

Very true it's only conjecture but it would be logical that DJI would close the holes. I am trying to think of a company that released an updated product and left the same vulnerabilities as the previous model. I am drawing a blank on that.

As for the look you can bet the companies that make skins are already working on clone versions.

If I was just now getting a Mavic this platinum version would be on my radar but it still would not be a slam dunk purchase until I find out how locked down it is. I seriously doubt Dumbldor will work on this now but who knows what the guys will be able to do given time.

Rob

Last edited:
Well, I am in a disjunctive. I have a 2 weeks MP that I can return for a full refund and then get de Platinum for some bucks. My MP appear to be a good one except that I don't use the AFC because it really did not work well. Maybe a bug, I don't know. It is also in 700 FW and dont want to update. Well, a couple of weeks to decide for one or the other.

This is an intermediary step to keep the interest up. While DJI designs something to top the Mavic. There may be improvements to the Platinum Mavic that's not mentioned to address any issues that some have experienced (although mine works flawlessly). I hope they couple the new craft with some enhanced app features. Hopefully the remove the 500 meter waypoint limit on this beast.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
The 'revised' models are a little confusing. Normally you upgrade models in such a way as to 'persuade' existing owners to 'sell' and upgrade. That certainly doesnt seem the case here. So what is the reason? Some have suggested that it relates to a lock down in firmware - possible - time will tell.

My personal 'guess' is that it is pure marketing. People expect 'new models' from DJI at this time of year in place for the run up to Christmas. If no new model appears maybe buyers hold off buying on the basis that they are 'just around the corner'. These forum are littered with 'should I buy now or wait for the Mavic 2?' - I suspect over at the Phantom forum it is even worse. So I suspect it is DJI simply 'telling us' that there are going to be no new models except these cosmetic upgrades - so that people dont hold off buying if they want a drone. They dont particularly need new models as they are well ahead of the competition.

I'd be willing to lose a small fortune that this ain't the "run up to Christmas." This is to get the original off the market. For whatever the reason(s) may be. I still think we'll see a new Mavic before the Holidays. I've been wrong before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merlin23
30 minute flight time is a significant benchmark. Wow. Who would have thought drones could stay up for half an hour... ?

...not really, of course. My Mavic pro stays up for 20 minutes max before a lot of beeping and such. So, we should see 22 minutes with this prop/power supply improvement. It's getting there.

Reactions: Masheen
Yep - shame it's not more of an upgrade as that would make my decision an easy one with my 1 week old MP. Is the plat worth $200 more - that's the question.

It's not. It's to grab noobs. When they add something like "quieter" it's a gimmick. Who cares. 4db isn't noticeable to me. Of course I played in a metal band for a long time

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut