DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum (Just Released)

Interesting refresh. Not enough for me to buy one. Rear sensors and an upgraded camera/gimbal might have persuaded me. This is a great option for someone who doesn't have a Mavic at all (in my opinion).

As for the new props - old aerodynamic design. My guess is that DJI had an idea about these since the conception of the Mavic but decided to save them for a refresh. The dihedral drooped tips have been around for a while. They reduce wing-tip vortices (increasing lift) and reduce noise signature. I'm surprised they haven't implemented them on the phantoms.

How else will this prop shape affect flight characteristics? I figured with a longer flight time there would be a lower top end speed. I know speed really isnt a factor for a camera drone but I really know nothing about prop design/characteristics lol

No Mav for me until they improve the camera to be as good as the P4P

Then go ahead and buy the P4P.. I usually shoot with full frame DSLRs so I'm the last person to be with happy with a tiny sensor but I would not have 95% of the footage that I got with the Mavic if it was bigger, because I would simply not have it with me... So I'll just eat my cake and accept that it's gone ;)

Then go ahead and buy the P4P.. I usually shoot with full frame DSLRs so I'm the last person to be with happy with a tiny sensor but I would not have 95% of the footage that I got with the Mavic if it was bigger, because I would simply not have it with me... So I'll just eat my cake and accept that it's gone ;)

Precisely! I have L glass all the way up to my 600 F4 but if it's not with you or too cumbersome to take along then it's not going to get you the shot. Having said that my P4P is due in a day and while I know that I will not take it out like I do my MP I am looking forward to 20MP and seeing how well it does in low light.

Not worth the money.
Change your props and buy a custom decal. No one will know the difference. A pity they did not improve the camera, now that would have made it worth while.

Rob
I agree, I recently received mine right under a month and it's still not worth it to me to upgrade.I think DJI should of waited and made more upgrades to it, like with the Inspire 2.I'll stick with my Pro until the next model comes out and hopefully it'll be something worth getting..at least to me..;)

Can this platinum mavic be *hacked* like the pro is with the *parameter mod*?
Literally hasn't even hit the shelves yet, but you can email DJI and ask them directly.

Me personally, I won't buy it until there's a rose gold version.

Reactions: bas4241
Precisely! I have L glass all the way up to my 600 F4 but if it's not with you or too cumbersome to take along then it's not going to get you the shot. Having said that my P4P is due in a day and while I know that I will not take it out like I do my MP I am looking forward to 20MP and seeing how well it does in low light.

From the Mavic you'll see a different. Many say it's not as noticeable as you would think.
I have the P4P and getting the Mavic for the same reason as as many. The P4P is a great tool but hauling a backpack isn't the most pleasurable thing. Especially if you have a couple of pro bodies and glass.

Don't expect the P4P to yield dslr level images but goneith an open mind and enjoy.

The 'revised' models are a little confusing. Normally you upgrade models in such a way as to 'persuade' existing owners to 'sell' and upgrade. That certainly doesnt seem the case here. So what is the reason? Some have suggested that it relates to a lock down in firmware - possible - time will tell.

My personal 'guess' is that it is pure marketing. People expect 'new models' from DJI at this time of year in place for the run up to Christmas. If no new model appears maybe buyers hold off buying on the basis that they are 'just around the corner'. These forum are littered with 'should I buy now or wait for the Mavic 2?' - I suspect over at the Phantom forum it is even worse. So I suspect it is DJI simply 'telling us' that there are going to be no new models except these cosmetic upgrades - so that people dont hold off buying if they want a drone. They dont particularly need new models as they are well ahead of the competition.
I'm going to save money and cut my existing blades to look like the new ones.

Its the same camera, and will run the same firmware, so you would be pretty right to presume it will be the same.

The only change is Props, motor controllers, and colour.
Not true, on Dji Facebook page a dji rep said there is new hardware in the camera to fix "certain" issues, strange they don't mention this in the literature, I feel they don't want to admit there are problems with the original.. perhaps the dji rep spoke out of line, but he mentioned it a few times in the thread

Not true, on Dji Facebook page a dji rep said there is new hardware in the camera to fix "certain" issues, strange they don't mention this in the literature, I feel they don't want to admit there are problems with the original.. perhaps the dji rep spoke out of line, but he mentioned it a few times in the thread

Well it certainly isnt strange that the company didnt mention 'fixing certain issues' because companies dont talk like that. Every 'problem' is defined as an 'opportunity for product enhancement' - so it is surprising that we didnt hear things like 'improved image quality' 'smoother gimbal movement' 'more accurate control' etc if they had been 'fixing' things.Given they are claiming none of these things I can only assume that any hardware changes made in the new model were to reduce costs and increase margins.

Reactions: adramelech52
BTW I dont see any reason for anyone to complain (not that anyone really is.) The quite remarkable thing about the Mavic is how incredibly good it is for a 'first generation product' - it feels like a 3rd generation product to me. You know one of the first rules of tech is 'never buy the first generation of anything'. This is usually good advice....

Please forgive me for a daft question....

I'm soon to take the plunge and buy a Mavic. Is the Platinum replacing the current model or is it an additional model being added to the range. i.e. If I were to buy in a few weeks time will the original still be marketed or only until current stocks are exhausted?

Second question: If buying from scratch, is there any reason (apart from the slightly higher price) not to go for the Platinum? It sounds as if an extra $100/£100 is worth the slightly longer flight time and decreased noise.

Thoughts?

OK - I just saw the Platinum live at the DJI booth at IFA Berlin (Consumer Electronics Show).

Here is what I learned: Staff said, that it might (!) be availabel end of September, but they did not seem to know for sure (same with propellers only). Also they said, that the motors are different hardware than in the Mavic Pro - so not only a chip or software. They claimed, that there might be no or very little noise reduction effect with the new propellers on an old Mavic (though I'm sure that staff never tried it out).

I saw the Platinum flying there (in a cage) as well - now this might be due to lots of ambient noise - but to me it sounded extremely silent. HUGE difference to Mavic Pro! It was hovering just 2m in front of me and I was impressed by how little noise it made.

Then I went outside to an open air cage they had as well. And again they flew the Platinum just in front of me in a cage. This time, the Mavic had propreller protectors (bumpers, not cage) on it. And the noise was pretty much the same as with my Mavic Pro. The staff said, that it is due to the protectors and that it's a big difference to when they flew it without the protectors...

Overall the color is nice - but no need to increase price in my opinion...

Attachments

• IMG_5493.JPG
    IMG_5493.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun