DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic shooting kitesurfing and SUPing in Cape Hatteras

Trandg

Reactions
My Mavic Pro arrived in Canada last Monday and had to take it on a kiteboarding and surf trip down in the Outer Banks.

Some things I'm still working out - horizons aren't always straight in the wind (winds were up to 25knots); need to play with a few more colour profiles; and need another two batteries! I did manage to fly it 5.5kms away which was pretty amazing. RTH didn't land perfectly where it started which was annoying (a few meters away).

Overall, this thing is amazing and I'm quite pleased in the upgrade vs. my P2. Quality isn't perfect, but I don't care if I get cool shots with minimal bulk to my camera bag.

Let me know if you have any questions about usability.

Most of the shots were with the Mavic, but you'll be able to tell there are a few obvious shots at the beginning taken with my Olympus E-M1 and a few surf shots with my GoPro.

Wow! great shots. thanks for sharing.

I can hardly wait to get mine.

Reactions: Trandg
Great shots, but you weren't flying in or over National Park Service property (road shot at beginning, lighthouse, etc), were you?

Great shots, but you weren't flying in or over National Park Service property (road shot at beginning, lighthouse, etc), were you?

I didn't see any signs stating National Park so I don't believe I was. I literally pulled over on the side of the road, flew it straight up and flew it down for a total of 4 minutes. I think the National Park is much further north closer to Nags Head.

Almost all of Hatteras Island is in the National Seashore. There's a big sign at the beginning. And certainly there are more signs around the lighthouse.

Check out the AirMap app. AirMap.io

Almost all of Hatteras Island is in the National Seashore. There's a big sign at the beginning. And certainly there are more signs around the lighthouse.

Check out the AirMap app. AirMap.io

Crap - I didn't even think of it. Good to know for the future as I don't really think of it as a national park. Thanks for the heads up. (There do appear to be lots of drone flyers down there, not that it makes it ok)

Actually, someone just informed me of this:

"Cape Hatteras is a National Seashore. Merely Federal land overseen by the NPS. For now, it's okay to fly."

I'm not a rule Nazi, but flying drones has been banned from all National Parks including National Shoreline areas for the time being. Simply google "cape hatteras drone". I own a condo within the Gulf Islands National Seashore in Florida and am prevented from flying there as well.

Just trying to keep you from a surprise visit from constables. Not judging. I think your videography was fantastic and wish we all had legal flight access to these wonderful parks. Heck, my condo is within the boundaries and I'm sure my F-150 has a bigger impact than a drone.

Laws & Policies - Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)
----------

Unmanned Aircraft
  • Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of Cape Hatteras National Seashore is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent.
(The term “unmanned aircraft” means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device, and the associated operational elements and components that are required for the pilot or system operator in command to operate or control the device (such as cameras, sensors, communication links). This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g. model airplanes, quadcopters, drones, model rockets) that are used for any purpose, including recreation or commerce.)
(Justification: Visitor safety is seriously compromised if unmanned aircraft are launched from or flown over park grounds. Unmanned aircraft are a serious threat to the feeding, breeding, nesting and young rearing activities of shorebirds within the seashore. Unmanned aircraft can scare birds off their nests leaving eggs and chicks exposed to predators and deadly heat.)​

Buddy that was amazing footage..some scenes really make the Mavic shine... only the last bit seemed a bit out of focus, else it was awesome.

I have a feeling with all the laws .. one day you will only be able to fly it in your toilet ... what a shame

Last edited:
Awesome Video man!!, Getting shots of my family windsurfing and kiting is one of main reasons I bought the mavic!!...how did it handle in the wind?

If The Hover app is accurate it doesn't look like flying everywhere in OBX is banned. All ocean side looks to be considered national seashore, however the Sound side within city limits does not look to be.....looks like for some of your footage is at Real up in Waves which doesn't show as no fly zone. We stay in Avon on Sound side, so this makes me happy:)
931d4e3453ec22143675ac67145afe22.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice...the colors of the kites really "pop" set against the ocean.

Awesome Video man!!, Getting shots of my family windsurfing and kiting is one of main reasons I bought the mavic!!...how did it handle in the wind?

No issues with the wind. everyone was so impressed with his stable it was while everyone was kiting in 15-20knots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke