DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 - flies, but right rear arm won't fold/rotate to closed position

DJI_Bob

Reactions
I crashed my Mini 2 this past weekend from about 30 feet up. Not terribly hard crash. Anyway, the right rear arm won’t fold back in. The drone flies fine, operates fine, no error messages. I just can’t fold/rotate the arm back in to stow the drone. It feels like it hits a solid stoppage after rotating the arm half an inch or so.

Any thoughts? Anyone encounter this on a Mini 2?

Can you post a close up photo or photos of the arm where it meets the drone's body i.e. it pivot area?

The attached show the innards of a Mini 2 rr arm pivot and the sort of views sought (partially dismantled Mavic mini)

Attachments

• Mini 2 rr pivot.jpg
    Mini 2 rr pivot.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 27
  • rr arm MM.jpg
    rr arm MM.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
I crashed my Mini 2 this past weekend from about 30 feet up. Not terribly hard crash. Anyway, the right rear arm won’t fold back in. The drone flies fine, operates fine, no error messages. I just can’t fold/rotate the arm back in to stow the drone. It feels like it hits a solid stoppage after rotating the arm half an inch or so.

Any thoughts? Anyone encounter this on a Mini 2?
A month or so ago I crashed one of my Mini 2s. Fairly mild crash from less than 10' up, but it bent the arms at what looked like odd angels. Busted a prop blade.

I thought for sure I was going to have to send it in for DJI refresh, but that turned out not to be the case. I repositioned the arms to their normal open position, and replaced the prop blades on the arm where one had broken.

When i went to go test fly it, it said the gimbal was stuck, and to my great surprise I was able to un-stick the gimbal without breaking anything. Flies good!

But to be fair, I haven't tried to close the arms since then...

These little birds are pretty tough!

TCS

Here are four photos of the arm and its pivot point. No visible cracks, no visible signs of distress. Thx in advance for any additional info/advice.

As mentioned in my original post, the drone flies fine and no error messages appear in DJI Fly app. I just can't fold this arm back in to stow it and put the drone in its carrying case.

IMG_8110.jpgIMG_8111.jpgIMG_8114.jpgIMG_8115.jpg

Is the screwhead pointed to in the attached touching the under side of the body shell as indicated in the attached? The second photo's are of the clearance on my Mini 2

Attachments

• mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8114 c&P.jpg
    IMG_8114 c&P.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 10
Is the screwhead pointed to in the attached touching the under side of the body shell as indicated in the attached? The second photo's are of the clearance on my Mini 2
The screw does not touch the underside of the body; there is clearance. In fact, I can rotate the arm far enough that the screw has completely cleared the underside of the body--then the arm hits what feels like a "hard stop", something I don't want to push harder on for fear of really doing more damage internally.

Thx so much for your reply and suggestion!

AHH in that case remove the screws in the top and bottom of the arm and EASE the arm off its pivot assembly.
NOTE "EASE" do not pull with force. Do this over a tray etc. to catch anything that falls out, nothing should but........
it is likely that there is enough slack in the wiring to get the arm off the pivot but if you 'yank' the arm off the pivot you may do damage.
If you can get the arm off the pivot examine the pivot and maybe photograph it. If there is damage and the pivot needs to be replaced you will need to open the drone and unsolder the motor's wire, they pass through the centre of the pivot.
The attached is a photo taken for another thread, I think the wiring was connected when that photo was taken. I can't remember for certain if that was the limit of the slack but if not then there was not much more.

But since this is a mini 2 it might still be under warranty and you may not want to open the drone

Attachments

• mini rear arm pivot.jpg
    mini rear arm pivot.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
AHH in that case remove the screws in the top and bottom of the arm and EASE the arm off its pivot assembly.
NOTE "EASE" do not pull with force. Do this over a tray etc. to catch anything that falls out, nothing should but........
it is likely that there is enough slack in the wiring to get the arm off the pivot but if you 'yank' the arm off the pivot you may do damage.
If you can get the arm off the pivot examine the pivot and maybe photograph it. If there is damage and the pivot needs to be replaced you will need to open the drone and unsolder the motor's wire, they pass through the centre of the pivot.
The attached is a photo taken for another thread, I think the wiring was connected when that photo was taken. I can't remember for certain if that was the limit of the slack but if not then there was not much more.

But since this is a mini 2 it might still be under warranty and you may not want to open the drone
Thx! Will do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803