DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 Best Drone not requiring registration?

quickcut

Reactions
So I am fairly new to drone flying but really love it. I have a DJI Mini 2 that unfortunately I recently crashed and messed up the gimbal. The camera itself is not damaged but the gimbal is.. it seems to still be connected to the wires but I can no longer control the movement of it from my remote.

It looks like fixing this thing could be upwards of $300 which is more than half of what this drone costs new. Since I'm still a novice I'd probably want to get another drone without having to go through registering it. It looks like the DJI Mini 3 is just under half a pound so it wouldn't be required to. Is this the best drone available that doesn't require registration?

Reactions: MA2 317 and GFields
Hello from the Crossroads of America quickcut

It looks like the DJI Mini 3 is just under half a pound so it wouldn't be required to. Is this the best drone available that doesn't require registration?

It's the newest of the sub250 gram drones.

Of course it's better. ;)

I'm not sure about the other Mini 3's, but the PRO model is RID compliant with the FAA and ready to go when implemented.

Please note, any accessories added (strobe, prop guards, etc.) may push the take off weight past 250g and would have to be registered.

It's only five bucks and the numbers look cool.

If you haven't taken the TRUST test yet, you should. It's a free no fail test that's easy to take and you should keep a copy with you when you fly whatever you fly.

I don't have a mini myself, but might be shopping soon for a RID drone. My MA2 didn't make the list (yet).

Good luck, do your research and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Is this the best drone available that doesn't require registration?
It is the current best DJI drone that doesn't require registration.

Reactions: quickcut
With your experience it seems that purchasing Care Refresh with your new DJI would be a wise option.
Whatever you get it only costs $5 to register, so that shouldn't be an obstacle.
Getting yourself legal to fly also matters.
Is the almost $300 price a quote from DJI or just a guess?

Reactions: GFields

Sweet!

I appreciate the heads up. I really wasn't looking at any additional components, although I hear there is an option to get a separate controller for it instead of having to use your cell phone. I would probably go for that if I understood that right. What's only 5 bucks with cool numbers?

Yes, I've recently heard about this. I think it's a new requirement regardless of drone size right? Regardless I'll be taking it.

Thanks! I'm guessing you want a bigger drone with more features?

With your experience it seems that purchasing Care Refresh with your new DJI would be a wise option.
Whatever you get it only costs $5 to register, so that shouldn't be an obstacle.
Getting yourself legal to fly also matters.
Is the almost $300 price a quote from DJI or just a guess?

Is care refresh some sort of warranty? What would it cover? I would agree based on my experience and what happened recently I should get some kind of protection plan.

Well I just googled Gimbal repairs for the DJI Mini 2 and it seemed like that number came up. Is DJI my only resource for drone repair? I think I'd have to mail it into them and it sounds like you have to pretty much go with whatever price they say... Do you think there would be any local places that could potentially fix and assess it? I'm guessing Best Buy doesn't do that kind of thing right?

Reactions: MA2 317
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

You do not have to register a drone weighing under 250 grans
Register your drone at FAA DroneZone either under part 107 or the Exception for Recreational Flyers. If you are not sure what kind of a drone flyer you are, check out our User Identification Tool or visit our Getting Started webpage to learn more.

• All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.
  • Drones registered under part 107 may be flown for recreational purposes as well as under part 107.
  • Drones registered under the Exception for Recreational Flyers cannot be flown for Part 107 operations.

How to Register

Reactions: razoraerial
Sweet!

I appreciate the heads up. I really wasn't looking at any additional components, although I hear there is an option to get a separate controller for it instead of having to use your cell phone. I would probably go for that if I understood that right. What's only 5 bucks with cool numbers?

Yes, I've recently heard about this. I think it's a new requirement regardless of drone size right? Regardless I'll be taking it.

Thanks! I'm guessing you want a bigger drone with more features?

Is care refresh some sort of warranty? What would it cover? I would agree based on my experience and what happened recently I should get some kind of protection plan.

Well I just googled Gimbal repairs for the DJI Mini 2 and it seemed like that number came up. Is DJI my only resource for drone repair? I think I'd have to mail it into them and it sounds like you have to pretty much go with whatever price they say... Do you think there would be any local places that could potentially fix and assess it? I'm guessing Best Buy doesn't do that kind of thing right?
Care Refresh is a DJI all peril coverage for your drone. Check DJI support for pricing and coverage; it's like a no-fault comprehensive policy. It is not part of DJI warranty.
DJI is probably best for repair. Either contact DJI through support or start a repair process through support. You can also check out DJI support for possible costs.

In order of preference, 1st choice to last I would suggest
1) send the mini 2 into DJI and ask for a repair estimate, they seem to be quite reasonable.
2) look for a second hand Mini 2 on the likes of ebay. Assuming ebay USA has the same buyer protections as here, UK, a drone sold in the used category MUST work as the manufacturer intended IRRESPECTIVE of any text written by the seller.
If it does not then the buyer is entitled to send the drone back via pre paid carriage, paid for by the seller, and to get a FULL refund of the original purchase cost including the original carriage from the seller to the buyer.
If you go that route ASK the seller to confirm in an ebay message that any/all FLYAWAY insurance bindings, between the drone and the seller's DJI account and between the drone and the controller, have been undone.
Why another mini 2? Because you likely have spare batteries for the mini 2 and other accessories that will not be compatible with the likes of a mini 3.
3) A mini 3, why last? It will probably be a the most expensive option. Yes the Mini 3 is probably better than the mini 2 but the Mini 2 is a perfectly serviceable drone.

So I am fairly new to drone flying but really love it. I have a DJI Mini 2 that unfortunately I recently crashed and messed up the gimbal. The camera itself is not damaged but the gimbal is.. it seems to still be connected to the wires but I can no longer control the movement of it from my remote.

It looks like fixing this thing could be upwards of $300 which is more than half of what this drone costs new. Since I'm still a novice I'd probably want to get another drone without having to go through registering it. It looks like the DJI Mini 3 is just under half a pound so it wouldn't be required to. Is this the best drone available that doesn't require registration?

Unless you plan to travel abroad somewhere abroad where 250g is a go/no-go weight cutoff, I would not factor registration into your shopping criteria. It takes maybe 5 minutes, and you have to do TRUST anyway, so it's a non-issue. At this point, you can get a used Air2S for not much more than a Mini3. There are obviously tradeoffs there, but for me my priority was a bigger sensor, and the bigger and heavier platform seems more stable in the wind.

Good lord. Spend the $5 and register your drone. If you are not a Part107 pilot you are actually registering YOU and you can use the FAA number on all your drones. Don't understand people's reluctance to spend $5 yet spend $1000 on the drone. Yes, yes, I know some people don't trust the government...but that's just tinhat stuff. Also, the M3P is OVER 250g if you use the larger battery that comes with the Flymore kit.

Good lord. Spend the $5 and register your drone. If you are not a Part107 pilot you are actually registering YOU and you can use the FAA number on all your drones. Don't understand people's reluctance to spend $5 yet spend $1000 on the drone. Yes, yes, I know some people don't trust the government...but that's just tinhat stuff. Also, the M3P is OVER 250g if you use the larger battery that comes with the Flymore kit.
Amen.

It's amusing that people think nothing of registering their dog (AKC and city) or carrying a personal location broadcast device (cell phone with location services on) but fear registering a drone.

Reactions: Aerophile
DJI did my gimbal work for $100 on my Mini 2, plus some other faux pas. That was a bargain. Great work. Contact them. Send in the drone. They give you an estimate. Pay to play.

I presume you just have to pay for the shipping both ways if you decide not to have them do it?

@FLDave I appreciate the care refresh advice. I think I'm definitely doing that if I end up getting a more expensive drone.

@Yorkshire_Pud good advice!

@BobaFuct Is it really that quick to register it? I think I actually prefer the smaller drones for now as I'm learning the ropes.

@spsphotos Definitely not about the money, just figured it was more of a hassle but sounds like it's not a big deal.

Appreciate everyones help and input!

The DJI Mini 3 Pro, the best?

Depends on what you're looking for, what you want to do with it & how much you want to spend.

10 Best Drones Under 250 Grams or 0.55lbs In December 2022

I'm not inclined to recommend DJI, not because of their products, but because of their attitude.

As to the “registration” comments following your question, to each their own. I took the “TRUST” course & got the certificate, & that's enough for me. I'm with Obi-Wan Kenobi when he mentioned his preference to avoid any “Imperial Entanglements”.

Attachments

• blazing-saddles.jpg
    blazing-saddles.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3
@BobaFuct Is it really that quick to register it?
Well it's 4.5 minutes to register as a pilot and 30 seconds to add your drone. Really, you're not registering your drone as a recreational pilot in any case, since the registration number is for you and goes on all your drones. Not sure why the "no registration for <250g drones" phrasing has been allowed to perpetuate. YOU have to register regardless of your drone's weight, and then you just input the serial number of your drone in the system as part of your inventory, but your drone doesn't get a unique registration number like it would under 107. In effect, I think the only difference a sub-250g drone makes for a recreational flyer is that you don't have to label it with your registration number?

Well it's 4.5 minutes to register as a pilot and 30 seconds to add your drone. Really, you're not registering your drone as a recreational pilot in any case, since the registration number is for you and goes on all your drones. Not sure why the "no registration for <250g drones" phrasing has been allowed to perpetuate. YOU have to register regardless of your drone's weight, and then you just input the serial number of your drone in the system as part of your inventory, but your drone doesn't get a unique registration number like it would under 107. In effect, I think the only difference a sub-250g drone makes for a recreational flyer is that you don't have to label it with your registration number?
You are completely mistaken! Please cite your source

<250g drones" phrasing has been allowed to perpetuate
Because this is a FACT. Read the FAA's website!
  • All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.
  • Drones registered under part 107 may be flown for recreational purposes as well as under part 107.
  • Drones registered under the Exception for Recreational Flyers cannot be flown for Part 107 operations.
You ONLY need to register a drone weighing less than 250g if flying Part 107, and in that case, you are registering the drone and a unique FAA ID is to be placed on "each" drone.

Recreational pilots register themselves, not each drone. Note: drones that are registered under Part 107 can be flown recreationally.

Ya beat me to it GFields

I think the only difference a sub-250g drone makes for a recreational flyer is that you don't have to label it with your registration number?

Now you know...

☮️.

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor