DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 Pro tumbles into the ocean

bzmot

Reactions
@sar104

Hi guys, I need some help. I really love the new DJI mini 3 pro but I have been pretty unlucky with it. On a recent trip to Iceland it developed a gimbal problem and they were terrible vibrations while shooting videos. It showed “gimbal overload message” all the time. The DJI replaced it for free under warranty. Now with a new one in the Faroe Islands this happened: I was flying over the ocean, nice weather, virtually no wind, minding my own business. Suddenly the drone does a roll of death and just tumbles down into the water from 50 m above. I will of course file a warranty claim for that, it does seem like one of the motors died - at least that’s what it seemed to be by watching the video feed. Unfortunately I don’t have any cached video on the smart controller to show you.

Are there any logs I can post here from the smart controller so you can help me figure out what happened? I’m sure DJI will also need to analyze those but maybe if you could help me I could know first. Thanks a lot in advance!

@sar104

Hi guys, I need some help. I really love the new DJI mini 3 pro but I have been pretty unlucky with it. On a recent trip to Iceland it developed a gimbal problem and they were terrible vibrations while shooting videos. It showed “gimbal overload message” all the time. The DJI replaced it for free under warranty. Now with a new one in the Faroe Islands this happened: I was flying over the ocean, nice weather, virtually no wind, minding my own business. Suddenly the drone does a roll of death and just tumbles down into the water from 50 m above. I will of course file a warranty claim for that, it does seem like one of the motors died - at least that’s what it seemed to be by watching the video feed. Unfortunately I don’t have any cached video on the smart controller to show you.

Are there any logs I can post here from the smart controller so you can help me figure out what happened? I’m sure DJI will also need to analyze those but maybe if you could help me I could know first. Thanks a lot in advance!

Have a look at topic #3 in this very useful reference provided by @sar104.

Reactions: bzmot
Reactions: bzmot and YVRGUY
@sar104

Follow the advice above to retrieve the logs. They may or may not show conclusively what happened, but it's definitely worth a look.

Reactions: bzmot
So the general public is still testing out that drone for them....
Only a miniscule fraction of the general public own a Mini 3. And from my experience and that of others I read about, almost all those Mini 3s being used are performing just fine.

This one report of one warranty replacement due to a camera/gimbal issue and one crash with no substantial details offered doesn't indicate a general problem with the Mini 3.

Follow the advice above to retrieve the logs. They may or may not show conclusively what happened, but it's definitely worth a look.
I had a damaged propeller several weeks ago. The drone exhibited that roll over behavior. Luckily it was in safe environment.

Hey guys sorry I didn't realize my email updates were off so I assumed no one replied yet. Thank you all for your contributions. DJI have agreed to replace the drone so I can suspect what you'll find in the logs. But I'm very curious as to details myself. I will post them later today.

Also: of course two cases may just mean I have been unlucky. But I for one will be very reluctant to use this drone anywhere near inhabited areas, possibly even a little afraid to rely on it for anything....

But that's my experience.

Luckily I had the Mavic 3 with me as well so I completed all the shots I wanted to and no footage was lost. BTW I am more than happy with the 3. The 28x zoom seems more like a marketing gimmick but the rest feels very premium and reliable.

Reactions: sar104
Hey guys sorry I didn't realize my email updates were off so I assumed no one replied yet. Thank you all for your contributions. DJI have agreed to replace the drone so I can suspect what you'll find in the logs. But I'm very curious as to details myself. I will post them later today.

Also: of course two cases may just mean I have been unlucky. But I for one will be very reluctant to use this drone anywhere near inhabited areas, possibly even a little afraid to rely on it for anything....

But that's my experience.

Luckily I had the Mavic 3 with me as well so I completed all the shots I wanted to and no footage was lost. BTW I am more than happy with the 3. The 28x zoom seems more like a marketing gimmick but the rest feels very premium and reliable.
Going to post the logs file?

I'm sorry guys... the flight was there, now it's not there. It's possible DJI techs deleted it from the cloud and then my device synced with it and now no file... The last file I got there is from the day before. I posted it here by mistake but then deleted it because I realized it's the wrong one....

You sync it so it’s gone now don’t sync if you can help it.

I'm sorry guys... the flight was there, now it's not there. It's possible DJI techs deleted it from the cloud and then my device synced with it and now no file... The last file I got there is from the day before. I posted it here by mistake but then deleted it because I realized it's the wrong one....
Are you saying the .txt file is gone?
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

I am saying that the logs are there. All except the final flight. I posted the last file on the list and it turned out to be a flight from the day before, which was in reality second to last. Somehow the log of the last flight got erased.

I am saying that the logs are there. All except the final flight. I posted the last file on the list and it turned out to be a flight from the day before, which was in reality second to last. Somehow the log of the last flight got erased.
Are you talking about the .txt file from your phone or tablet or something else?
The txt files don't get erased.

Yes the txt file. All I can show you is a screenshot from my dji rc. The last file on the list is from 6 August. I uploaded it to the viewer and it’s not the flight where the accident happened. The accident happened on 7 August. But there is no file from 7 August. In fact nothing after the 6 August file.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000