DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI NO Tax Free Shipping Question

rgsherr

Reactions
I'm wondering if this no tax and free shipping promotion applies to shipping to Canada and no Canadian tax.

Not sure abiut Canada. But here in NY, it's a law that aviation aircraft (inc drones) are exempt from sales tax. Yet DJI still charged me sales tax. Seems they don't care. Or maybe they are collecting sales tax for the state they are in. Not sure.

Not sure abiut Canada. But here in NY, it's a law that aviation aircraft (inc drones) are exempt from sales tax. Yet DJI still charged me sales tax. Seems they don't care. Or maybe they are collecting sales tax for the state they are in. Not sure.
This is a common misconception -- I've even seen it repeated on blog posts on reputable sites -- but it's wrong. Drones are taxed in NY, as the section that exempts general aviation aircraft from sales tax specifically defines that term to not include an "unmanned aerial vehicle or drone." The relevant law is N.Y. Tax Law §1115(a)(21-a) (font color/underlines by me):

(a) Receipts from the following shall be exempt from the tax on retail sales . . .
(21-a) General aviation aircraft, and machinery or equipment to be installed on such aircraft.  For purposes of this subdivision, “general aviation aircraft” means an aircraft that is used in civil aviation, that is not a commercial aircraft as defined in paragraph seventeen of subdivision (b) of section eleven hundred one of this article, military aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicle or drone."

It would be nice if it were true, but alas, it isn't.

I'm wondering if this no tax and free shipping promotion applies to shipping to Canada and no Canadian tax.
I have bought a Tello and a Spark charging station from DJI and the price you see is the price you pay in US$. The only thing you need to factor in is the exchange. Taxes and brokerage charges are included in the price.

One thing I have noticed that has changed is the Free Shipping limit. It used to be $100, now it’s $300.

I haven’t ordered directly from DJI in over a year so things could have changed. Best to check with them first.

Chris

I have bought a Tello and a Spark charging station from DJI and the price you see is the price you pay in US$. The only thing you need to factor in is the exchange. Taxes and brokerage charges are included in the price.

One thing I have noticed that has changed is the Free Shipping limit. It used to be $100, now it’s $300.

I haven’t ordered directly from DJI in over a year so things could have changed. Best to check with them first.

Chris
yup.... it's been 2 years since I purchased, but the free shipping and no duty is why I bought directly. There was no issue with DJI.... the price you see is what you pay. Came right to the door for the quoted US$.

Chris

It was like US$89 free shipping for the longest time. I used to buy crap load of accessories and was a select member. Now that its at US$349, it defeats the purpose to become a select member and to buy accessories.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag