DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Pilot App cuts off screen, also flight record sync problem

ischonfeld

Reactions
I've been using the DJI Pilot app on an iPhone and iPad for a M2ED. It works fine as far as flying and controlling the drone. But when I try to sync flight records there are 2 problem. First, the flight records screen is cut off - like the screen was designed to be shown in portrait mode but the app runs in landscape. Then, the small screen that controls syncing of flight records is also cut off, with only half of the button to start syncing shown and nothing below it. I can't believe I'm the first to bring this up, but a search of the forums didn't help.

The second half of the problem is that when I do manage to click the Start button, it gets to 3% and the app crashes. I've tried logout/login, restarting the phone and tablet, deleting and reinstalling the app - none of that helps. I might try clearing flight records (although I don't really want to lose stuff), but that part of the screen doesn't exist due to the above cutoff.

None of this happens with the DJI Go 4 app for my P4P+, it's all fine.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Might I ask why you are syncing in the first place? I think you lose the DAT logs in the process and they are sometimes handy things to have.
If it is for record keeping why not back the logs up to a computer or external hard drive, that way you can back up both the txt flight logs and the DAT flight logs.

Might I ask why you are syncing in the first place? I think you lose the DAT logs in the process and they are sometimes handy things to have.
If it is for record keeping why not back the logs up to a computer or external hard drive, that way you can back up both the txt flight logs and the DAT flight logs.
I fly with different Apps and different screen devices, so I thought that in order to have all flight records in one place I needed to sync. If I don't sync then I don't see everything. Is there a better solution?

The following is my personal preference.
I dislike cloud storage and the idea of my 'stuff' being at the 'mercy' of a company who might close down the service if it suits them or if they get taken over. Besides I do not have a data allowance on my mobile phone and connection to the inernet via the phone's service provider would be EXPENSIVE. My wired connection has a comparatively slow up load speed.

Aside from the above, I believe that syncing wipes the DAT files ( DAT's are useful things to have) and that to get a copy of a DAT you then have to ask DJI for it. I do not like that idea at all. Nothing to do with the nationality.

So, via my computer I download the txt and DAT files and store them in an external hard drive. Across Phantom 3's, Mavic Mini's and Mavic 2's I have over 2800 txt logs saved and a lesser number of DAT's saved.

I am not sure what the situation is with the M2ED, but with the Phantom 3, Mavic Mini (control app version depending) and the Mavic 2, I can process both sorts of log with CsvView or, for the txt logs and en-masse via a suitable DOS command, TXTlogToCSVtool or TXTlogToCSVtoolMM, as appropriate (see [TOOL][WIN] Offline TXT FlightRecord to CSV Converter).

Then, via a modified version of a Linux script that is posted somewhere in here, I can process the resulting csv's and produce a flight history for all my drones. I can look at whatever interests me e.g. battery usage, distance flown, max distance, max height etc. etc. etc.. The latest addition was a looking at by how much 'reported landing height' differs from zero .

In terms of storing logs I do a similar thing for the logs from a Mini 2 and an FPV. They are not counted in the above 2800+, but to process one of their txt's (FLY App versions 1.2 and or later) I have to upload a copy to either DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help or Airdata.
The former stores a log only temporarily and I delete logs from the latter once I have downloaded the csv.
I have not yet looked in detail at these downloaded csv's but, from memory, the csv's from the former contain more information. I suspect I will have to write a new Linux script to process these csv's but hopefully that is likely to involve copying my normal script to a new file and then modifying it suit the layout of the 'new' csv's rather than literally writing an entirely new script from scratch. (I make loads of mistakes so debugging a change is a matter of runing the script and working out what causes it to crash, an entirely new script would likely take me HOURS to debug).

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually use an Android to fly my M2ED with DJI Pilot. Never a problem. Tonight I used my iPhone and the app kept crashing while I was flying plus I had all the problems you described.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31