DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Pocket 2 Released Today!

Here's a size comparison of the action cameras I use vs the original Osmo Pocket (the new one is a similar form factor just slightly taller).
Upper Left - GoPro Hero 6 Black
Lower Left - Osmo Action
Center - Osmo Pocket
Upper Right - Naked GoPro (striped down Hero 6 Black for FPV)
Lower Right - GoPro Hero 9
PXL_20201021_011830479.jpg

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Here's a size comparison of the action cameras I use vs the original Osmo Pocket (the new one is a similar form factor just slightly taller).
Upper Left - GoPro Hero 6 Black
Lower Left - Osmo Action
Center - Osmo Pocket
Upper Right - Naked GoPro (striped down Hero 6 Black for FPV)
Lower Right - GoPro Hero 9
View attachment 115520
They are really amazing to me as are our drone cameras. Fifty years ago I would have never dreamed something as small as these could produce the images they do.

They are really amazing to me as are our drone cameras. Fifty years ago I would have never dreamed something as small as these could produce the images they do.
Agreed, here is the first Hero 9 video I shot on one of my FPV drones, Nothing special just got the GoPro delivered that day and slapped it on a drone ?
PS Turn the volume down, motors are loud LOL:

Reactions: Thomas B
Agreed, here is the first Hero 9 video I shot on one of my FPV drones, Nothing special just got the GoPro delivered that day and slapped it on a drone ?
PS Turn the volume down, motors are loud LOL:
Holy Smokes!!! I would have crashed it a thousand times. That's some amazing flying!!! Absolute obstical course. Didn't look like a complete fish eye either. From the footage it looks like a real nice camera.

Holy Smokes!!! I would have crashed it a thousand times. That's some amazing flying!!! Absolute obstical course. Didn't look like a complete fish eye either. From the footage it looks like a real nice camera.
Thanks, I do like the Hero 9, other than it is bigger and heavier for FPV use.

How would an Osmo Action camera compare to the GoPro?
There are several great You Tubes on this question. Just put your question in the You Tube Search box. I did just that and purchased the Osmo Action which I love. Better stabilization and front facing camera too for those who blog (which I do not). The main complaint I have with Osmo Action is that the camera lens is too wide angle for me. I use the Osmo Action for hiking, travel views from the passenger seat, etc. to supplement drone and iPhone video and timelapse videos from my Nikon DSLR

There are several great You Tubes on this question. Just put your question in the You Tube Search box. I did just that and purchased the Osmo Action which I love. Better stabilization and front facing camera too for those who blog (which I do not). The main complaint I have with Osmo Action is that the camera lens is too wide angle for me. I use the Osmo Action for hiking, travel views from the passenger seat, etc. to supplement drone and iPhone video and timelapse videos from my Nikon DSLR
Don't want to hijack the thread but I think this is solidly tangential. I think I'm going to stick with the GoPro for a mini camera. The Osmo 2 may be better but I'm looking at another problem to solve. I have a UX 90 which is great for a lot of shots and a D850 which also has it's place. I have nothing with good autofocus that can maintain a good hand held or gimbled shallow depth of field shot. The Blackmagic Pocket intrigues me but there is no continuous focus. Sony, Panasonic, and Cannon seem to do the best job but I am solidly invested into Nikon lenses. I'm hoping the Nikon Z6 II turns out to be an answer.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I am definitely looking at picking one up. guys do you think its worth waiting on a combo deal black Friday this year?

How would an Osmo Action camera compare to the GoPro?
Go Pro is an action camera meant for simply that...action. Surfing biking going hiking stuff like that it excels in. Osmo pocket more for everyday footage to me. Personally don’t enjoy shooting either one of them And have had both for years.

I am definitely looking at picking one up. guys do you think its worth waiting on a combo deal black Friday this year?
They will probably have the original Osmo Pocket on sale on Black Friday to get rid of old stock, I would doubt the new one will be heavily discounted, if at all.

They will probably have the original Osmo Pocket on sale on Black Friday to get rid of old stock, I would doubt the new one will be heavily discounted, if at all.
yea makes sense. Hopefully you are wrong and i get 20$ off. hahah!

I think the OSMO Pocket is a brilliant device. It’s so much more useful for everyday purposes than the GoPro. The super wide lens of the GoPro has its purpose, creating a dramatic lens effect with movement, looking best with a human subject in the near foreground, otherwise it really needs to be mounted to a gimbal, which makes it a bulky contraption.

The OSMO Pocket is so small and works very well handheld. Coupled with the DJI Extender, you have pan/tilt control, phone mount and a very solid extending selfie stick. My issues with it are the need for an adapter to add an external mic and the tiny little phone connector that requires 2 hands if you want to use your phone for display and control. Another issue is the $58 bluetooth adapter required if you want the phone mounted to the extender grip.

I just got my OSMO Pocket two months ago, but I’m gonna review the new Pocket 2 Improvements very closely and will likely buy one this week.

I think the OSMO Pocket is a brilliant device. It’s so much more useful for everyday purposes than the GoPro. The super wide lens of the GoPro has its purpose, creating a dramatic lens effect with movement, looking best with a human subject in the near foreground, otherwise it really needs to be mounted to a gimbal, which makes it a bulky contraption.

The OSMO Pocket is so small and works very well handheld. Coupled with the DJI Extender, you have pan/tilt control, phone mount and a very solid extending selfie stick. My issues with it are the need for an adapter to add an external mic and the tiny little phone connector that requires 2 hands if you want to use your phone for display and control. Another issue is the $58 bluetooth adapter required if you want the phone mounted to the extender grip.

I just got my OSMO Pocket two months ago, but I’m gonna review the new Pocket 2 Improvements very closely and will likely buy one this week.
Thank you for sharing your views

I would opt for an action camera (Osmo Action or Hero 9) for my type of filming. I have my OA set up with a pgytech case, Rode VideoMicro and a mannfrotto foldable tripod, plus the front screen helps to set up a shot when you can’t see the back. One thing that gets me is the lag or hard stop from the pocket’s gimbal when turning it back and forth. I found phone gimbals do this too. If it’s tracking a subject does it turn smoother?

I'm still struggling with gimbals. With both the Karma and the Ronin S, I'm still trying to learn the movements they will respond to best. I'm constantly talking to the things. "No, over this way! Come on, quite that. Really?"

As far as I can tell, you hit upon the biggest improvement in the Pocket 2...its audio capabilities. I have the Osmo Pocket with all the goodies. Bluetooth module, mic adapter, selfie stick, wide angle lens... But you cannot use the audio adapter with the Bluetooth module. Some guy on YouTube did a mod to allow it, but I was not so brave. The Pocket 2 addresses this issue, and that makes it so much better. Having Bluetooth and external audio is critical for me since I much prefer a phone or iPad to its tiny screen.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar