Aerial-Pixel

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.aerial-pixel.com
Reactions: zeusfl
Is expensive.

Is expensive.

It's only ten pounds more than the original which I think is reasonable given the number of improvements they've made all round, they seem to have corrected some of the flaws of the original and made worthwhile changes to the sensor and lens.

I am very tempted by this particularly the improved audio since I currently either use a DJI Osmo Mobile 3 or the DJI Ronin SC and a Sony A7SII the latter of which is not working for my use but the pocket 2 might.

There seem to be a few very good 360 degree cameras out there for a bit less money. I'm toying with the idea of getting one but don't know what to, whether get a 360 or get this new pocket 2. Anyone have any opinions to sway me one way or another?

There seem to be a few very good 360 degree cameras out there for a bit less money. I'm toying with the idea of getting one but don't know what to, whether get a 360 or get this new pocket 2. Anyone have any opinions to sway me one way or another?
They are 2 different animals for sure, both have their own strengths. The big question would be what do you plan on using it for? The Pocket 2 footage is good-to-go straight off the sd card, on a 360 camera like the Insta360 line there is post processing you have to view to use the footage, reframe it, etc.. Video resolution on the Pocket 2 will be much better than the exported 360 video, most 360 cameras are capable of reframing the 5k source down to 1080p.

I have a Garmin Virb 360 and wish I'd never bought it since I find the 360 degree footage difficult to work with and by the time it's re-encoded for Youtube or similar the quality is just awful. It burns through batteries and memory cards although those problems are more manageable. I normally use a gimbal and a GoPro which gets great results but not waterproof so I bought the 360 to mount on my helmet safe from all the mud and it's weather sealed, the gimbal simulated movement works really well but again the quality isn't good.

I'd agree with above it depends what you want it for as well as I wouldn't want the Osmo pocket to be doing what I was recording with the 360 camera.

I have a Garmin Virb 360 and wish I'd never bought it since I find the 360 degree footage difficult to work with and by the time it's re-encoded for Youtube or similar the quality is just awful. It burns through batteries and memory cards although those problems are more manageable. I normally use a gimbal and a GoPro which gets great results but not waterproof so I bought the 360 to mount on my helmet safe from all the mud and it's weather sealed, the gimbal simulated movement works really well but again the quality isn't good.

I'd agree with above it depends what you want it for as well as I wouldn't want the Osmo pocket to be doing what I was recording with the 360 camera.

How would an Osmo Action camera compare to the GoPro?

I don't know as I've not used them, I'm still on the older GoPro 5 sessions as I much prefer the smaller form factor for my use. The Osmo action camera reviews well but I would say it's for a different purpose to the pocket, I'd use an Osmo action for a POV action camera to record a bike ride whereas I'd use the Pocket handheld or tripod mounted to record a certain subject.

Last edited:
I like them both I like the Osmo Action better than the GoPro 6, 7 and 8 but the GoPro 9 is better in my opinion. I've had the Hero 9 Black for a few weeks now, stabilization is hands down better than the Osmo Action. Keep in mind though the GoPro's can do stuff the Osmo Action can't like this trip to the Kart track my office did last week, you can overlay all the GPS info on it, this clip was off of the Hero 6 as my Hero 9 GPS info isn't compatible with the Go Pro Quik app that does the GPS overlays.

Very disappointed in DJI once again. Looked at their babble and all over the net and still have no idea what it is or what it can do.

Is the zoom optical or digital?
Does the zoom hold to the min aperture or does the aperture change with zoom?
What is battery life?
How much will an SD hold? Time per Gb
Their pushing "cinematic" but increased the FOV to 80° to 93°. Sounds like their moving toward gopro to me.

What I do know about it is that it is small, you can video a girls butt with it, and DJI wants my money.

I guess I'll just wait for the herd of reviewers and try to wade through that.

Very disappointed in DJI once again. Looked at their babble and all over the net and still have no idea what it is or what it can do.

What is battery life?
Their pushing "cinematic" but increased the FOV to 80° to 93°. Sounds like their moving toward gopro to me.

What I do know about it is that it is small, you can video a girls butt with it, and DJI wants my money.

Disappointed in what regard? I think they've done a great job correcting the flaws of the original model, making some overall improvements all while not compromising the size, weight or batterylife.

It's a 20mm equivalent prime lens with no zoom. Battery life is 140 minutes recording 1080p30 same as the original and I would expect a bit lower when using higher resolutions. SD capacity will vary hugely on what settings you're using but there's nothing exotic with the video so capacity will be much the same as comparable video devices.

The Pocket is definitely not moving this product towards the GoPro since they already have an action camera which is a direct GoPro alternative and amusingly it's GoPro that have been moving toward DJI with the Hero 9 implementing the same forwarding facing screen the Osmo Action offers.

Reactions: Gr8fulTed

What is battery life?

Zoom is digital so the aperture remains f/1.8 all the way up to 8X digital zoom.
From some of the videos I watched on it the battery lasted about an hour and 45 minutes (1:45:00) recording 4K on the non-energy saver mode which maintains 100mbps bitrate.
Raw 64MP photos were about 120MB each
A 4K 30fps sample video was 97 seconds long and was 932MB so right about 10.4MB per second of video. So a 128GB card would get you about 3.5 hours of video.
Even though the 93 Degree FOV is much wider than the original Osmo Pocket the video has a very linear look compared to the fisheye look the GoPro's have. Very much aimed toward the cinematographer and vloger not the Action / Sports market.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I like them both I like the Osmo Action better than the GoPro 6, 7 and 8 but the GoPro 9 is better in my opinion. I've had the Hero 9 Black for a few weeks now, stabilization is hands down better than the Osmo Action. Keep in mind though the GoPro's can do stuff the Osmo Action can't like this trip to the Kart track my office did last week, you can overlay all the GPS info on it, this clip was off of the Hero 6 as my Hero 9 GPS info isn't compatible with the Go Pro Quik app that does the GPS overlays.

I might be misreading your post but I can't see any reason why you can't have GPS data like that on the Osmo action, I've never had any problems generating the GPS overlay from a GPS file and overlaying it onto a video aside from making sure the framerates match,

Disappointed in what regard? I think they've done a great job correcting the flaws of the original model, making some overall improvements all while not compromising the size, weight or batterylife.

It's a 20mm equivalent prime lens with no zoom. Battery life is 140 minutes recording 1080p30 same as the original and I would expect a bit lower when using higher resolutions. SD capacity will vary hugely on what settings you're using but there's nothing exotic with the video so capacity will be much the same as comparable video devices.

The Pocket is definitely not moving this product towards the GoPro since they already have an action camera which is a direct GoPro alternative and amusingly it's GoPro that have been moving toward DJI with the Hero 9 implementing the same forwarding facing screen the Osmo Action offers.
You are much better at web research than I for sure. I could not find any of those details. Thank you for sharing your research! My disappointment was not with the unit but the information I could find from DJI regarding it.

Last edited:
Zoom is digital so the aperture remains f/1.8 all the way up to 8X digital zoom.
From some of the videos I watched on it the battery lasted about an hour and 45 minutes (1:45:00) recording 4K on the non-energy saver mode which maintains 100mbps bitrate.
Raw 64MP photos were about 120MB each
A 4K 30fps sample video was 97 seconds long and was 932MB so right about 10.4MB per second of video. So a 128GB card would get you about 3.5 hours of video.
Even though the 93 Degree FOV is much wider than the original Osmo Pocket the video has a very linear look compared to the fisheye look the GoPro's have. Very much aimed toward the cinematographer and vloger not the Action / Sports market.
Very much appreciated!!! I guess I will have to go back to googoo school and figure out better search wording. With your description, it is looking interesting. I have a gopro and the fisheye is a serious turn off for me. Glad I posted. Got answers here much better than on google.

Very much appreciated!!! I guess I will have to go back to googoo school and figure out better search wording. With your description, it is looking interesting. I have a gopro and the fisheye is a serious turn off for me. Glad I posted. Got answers here much better than on google.

Which model do you have? Most of the models should offer different FOV modes which will crop the video a bit to give a reduced field of view and less ultrawide distortion.

I might be misreading your post but I can't see any reason why you can't have GPS data like that on the Osmo action, I've never had any problems generating the GPS overlay from a GPS file and overlaying it onto a video aside from making sure the framerates match,
You must have misread it. Osmo Action doesn't have a built-in GPS like the GoPro Black edition cameras do. Yes you can save GPS data from external devices like a GPS enabled cell phone etc. but it then has to be synced up. On GoPro's the GPS data is stored in the video file.

Which model do you have? Most of the models should offer different FOV modes which will crop the video a bit to give a reduced field of view and less ultrawide distortion.
I've got the black 7. I picked up a Karma as well. I have to note that I have not played with it a lot. I do need to put it through more situations prior to making a decision on how viable it is my filming. If I remember correctly it had a wide and some other setting, maybe HD? I put it on the other setting. The wide was horrendous for what I wanted to shoot. Definitely fish eyed.

Reactions: Aerial-Pixel
I've got the black 7. I picked up a Karma as well. I have to note that I have not played with it a lot. I do need to put it through more situations prior to making a decision on how viable it is my filming. If I remember correctly it had a wide and some other setting, maybe HD? I put it on the other setting. The wide was horrendous for what I wanted to shoot. Definitely fish eyed.

Gopro have this table on their site which shows the different field of views in each mode:

For comparison the Pocket 2 without the optional lens is a 93 degree field of view (20mm equivalent)

The advantage of the Osmo Pocket over the Karma and GP7 is the small size and convenience. I didn't realise just how small the pocket was until I saw one in store. It's something you could stick in your pocket which is definitely not the case with the Karma plus the pocket is a bit more convenient since it's one product so just one battery to charge etc. I've been really hoping DJI would make a cross between the action and the pocket because I find it a fiddle setting up the GoPro in the gimbal and would like just one device to stick in the mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmilingOgre
Gopro have this table on their site which shows the different field of views in each mode:

For comparison the Pocket 2 without the optional lens is a 93 degree field of view (20mm equivalent)

The advantage of the Osmo Pocket over the Karma and GP7 is the small size and convenience, I didn't realise just how small the pocket was until I saw one in store. It's something you could stick in your pocket which is definitely not the case with the Karma plus the pocket is a bit more convenient since it's one product so just one battery to charge etc. I've been really hoping DJI would make a cross between the action and the pocket because I find it a fiddle setting up the GoPro in the gimbal and would like just one device to stick in the mount.
Very cool!! Thanks again for sharing. I agree, the size is very appealing. Always have it with you without burden. The Karma is good for "no fiddle" but as you note, much larger and something to tote around.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31