DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC and GPS - not good news

rod.carter

Reactions
Does anyone who has the DJI RC with a Mini 3 Pro, have a GPS lock on their RC when the M3P is powered off?

All I have is ‘Locating…’, and never progresses beyond this. There is a symbol on the top bar when swiping down from the top indicating GPS, but never a lock.

There is a thread on the DJI forum where a few people are saying the same thing.

If the RCs GPS is not working correctly, how would altering the RTH position when flying the M3P ever work if the GPS in the RC doesn’t know its position separately from the M3P?

Hi,

Same issue here, I raised this on the DJI forum too: Mini 3 Pro RC Controller - GPS

I have had it get a location, but only 1 time that I noticed.

I don't want to have to return my whole mini 3 pro package to DJI for a replacement if this can be fixed via firmware?

I'm not sure how many other people have the same problem or even notice they have the problem??

Will keep an eye on this thread too...

I just checked. Mine is the same. Are we sure the RC actually has a GPS chip in it? It's not listed on the specs. I didn't think it did.

From the M3P user guide:-

Remote Controller

DJI RC

When used with DJI Mini 3 Pro, DJI RC remote controller features OcuSync O3 video transmission, works at both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency bands. It is capable of selecting the best transmission channel automatically and can transmit 1080p 30fps HD live view from the aircraft to the remote controller at a distance of up to 12 km (7.5 mi) (compliant with FCC standards, and measured in a wide open area without interference). The DJI RC is also equipped with a 5.5-in touchscreen (1920×1080 pixel resolution) and a wide range of controls and customizable buttons, enabling users to easily control the aircraft and remotely change the aircraft settings. The built-in 5200 mAh battery with a power of 18.72 Wh provides the remote controller with a maximum operating time of four hours. The DJI RC comes with many other functions such as Wi-Fi connection, built-in GNSS (GPS+Beidou+Galileo), Bluetooth, built-in speakers, detachable control sticks, and microSD storage.

Does anyone who has the DJI RC with a Mini 3 Pro, have a GPS lock on their RC when the M3P is powered off?

All I have is ‘Locating…’, and never progresses beyond this. There is a symbol on the top bar when swiping down from the top indicating GPS, but never a lock.

There is a thread on the DJI forum where a few people are saying the same thing.

If the RCs GPS is not working correctly, how would altering the RTH position when flying the M3P ever work if the GPS in the RC doesn’t know its position separately from the M3P?

If your drone is turned off, how would the RC have a GPS lock? I think it doesn't have a GPS chip, nor internet connection. You need to tether it to your phone for an internet connection if you want it to have a GPS lock without the drone being on? You don't see this behavior with the old screen less RC-N1 controller because of course you always had your GPS / internet enabled phone connected to it.

Reactions: Torque
It would have to in order to support a change in RTH position.
The M3P would have no idea where to return to if you moved position with the RC.

this may require a tether of your phone (even wirelessly) to do with the RC. The RC-N1 of course always had the phone connected physically so that wasn't an issue.

If your drone is turned off, how would the RC have a GPS lock?
I think it doesn't have a GPS chip, nor internet connection.
You need to tether it to your phone for an internet connection if you want it to have a GPS lock without the drone being on?
The tablet in the controller has a GPS receiver of its own.
Where the drone is or what it is doing is irrelevant.
And an internet connection has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: tribar and z28lt1
People are suggesting its a software issue - GPS is working inside the Fly app map but not on the home screen.

So it "works" but not everywhere. That hints at software.

For clarity, DJI confirmed to me that the remote has GPS built in, I have a case open where they want me to return everything for replacement - I'm just holding off to see how wide an issue this is....

With only the controller powered on and irrespective of if it has an internet connection I have not seen it get a GPS lock for over 24 hours - but it did yesterday morning!

I have made a flight with drone connected etc and it still did not get a GPS lock, no blue circle or arrow on the attitude display, just the home point which is provided by the drone not the controller.

I hope this is a firmware issue, but the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think it is hardware...

• Sad
Reactions: Torque
With only the controller powered on and irrespective of if it has an internet connection I have not seen it get a GPS lock for over 24 hours - but it did yesterday morning!
If you could install the GPS Status app, you could see if the controller display is receiving sats, how many and whether it is getting good GPS location data.

Reactions: maggior
this may require a tether of your phone (even wirelessly) to do with the RC. The RC-N1 of course always had the phone connected physically so that wasn't an issue.
Tethering a phone will share internet data, but it doesn't share GPS data.

Reactions: RetiredInFL
Tethering might help it acquire an initial lock assuming its using standard Google location services as it'll use WiFi and other lookup tables to get an initial location.

But it isnt needed for GPS overall, just speeds up the initial process.

If you could install the GPS Status app, you could see if the controller display is receiving sats, how many and whether it is getting good GPS location data.
How would we install the GPS Status app, the RC is locked at an Android level unlike the RC Pro?

I have carried out further tests, and conclude that the RC controller either has no GPS module or it is not working.

When flying the drone, and you try and change the home point, you get a series of errors:-

1) Enable location services and app permissions for your mobile device to ensure your location can be determined accurately.

and then

2) Mobile device unable to access GPS. Move to open area.

Sorry cannot take screenshots of the controller as the errors disappear when swiping down to get to the option.

These appear to show that the Fly app is not finding a GPS module in the RC controller, either it isn’t there, or it is faulty in several units.

This is a serious limitation as the user is limited to staying in the exact same place as when taking off, or manually scrolling the map and updating the home point that way.

The range issue I can live with as normally fly close by, but not having a GPS in the controller, and the Fly app not being aware it is not running from an Android phone is unacceptable.

Really surprised that not a single YouTuber appears to have indicated any issues like this with the RC, especially as they all appear to have been given the RC for testing.

Last edited:

Good News:

This behavior is 100% normal and exactly the same as on the RC Pro. Once the Drone is on and gets a sat lock, it will change to "Recommended Zone". You will still have GPS features if you subsequently turn the drone off.

Try it.

Good News:

This behavior is 100% normal and exactly the same as on the RC Pro. Once the Drone is on and gets a sat lock, it will change to "Recommended Zone". You will still have GPS features if you subsequently turn the drone off.

Try it.
How is it good news?

See my post above, the Fly app clearly states that it cannot find a GPS module in the RC.

I cannot comment on the RC Pro as I don’t have it, but as it is open Android, GPS apps etc. could be installed to get around this.

If I walk to a new location, and wish to update my home point, how is that possible with no GPS in the controller? The errors show that it cannot find a GPS to use, even though it has the options to do that. This is either sloppy/lazy programming as there options to use GPS in the same way that the Android version has, or the GNSS/GPS unit is faulty/missing.

The M3P manual is very clear that it has GNSS.

I could scroll the map and manually select a new home poiny, but no it easy and would have no precision.

How is it good news?
Well, for one...
Your issue is not the same as the OP's first question. Which I replied to.

The second question from the OP assumes that updating the Home Point is to the controller's position and it's not. When changing the home point with the drone in flight, you manually change the point to it's new position, which could be your position as indicated on your display (blue dot).

A similar discussion was held here:

Could you have an actual issue when changing your home point? Sure. But that's not what I was talking about.

Reactions: boldblue737
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan