DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC Pro Controller vs RC, RC-N1? Advantages?

MS Coast

That's MS as in Mississippi.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm curious about any functional advantages of the RC Pro controller compared to the RC and the RC-N1 with a good tablet. The larger, brighter screen and additional programmable buttons are certainly attractive. But are there other advantages or features to justify the expenditure? (Unfortunately, DJI is not yet offering the Mavic 3 Pro alone with the Pro controller.)

I'm wondering whether the so-called "faster processor" reduces the lag when changing cameras of the Mavic 3 Pro. Are panorama stitching times improved? Anything else?

Thanks.

The programable buttons is the only thing I can think of personally.

Judging by what gets posted around here I'd say two things: Broad compatability (just about every Occusync drone model), and the ability to add additional third-party apps like Litchi.

I'm wondering whether the so-called "faster processor" reduces the lag when changing cameras of the Mavic 3 Pro. Are panorama stitching times improved? Anything else?

Thanks.
Brief answer is no on both counts.

The camera stitching is done on the drone and stored locally in the SD card (or memory for Cine models) so the processor speed of the remote is not relevant. The camera lag also appears to be with the drone. I have a RC Pro I was using with a Mavic 3 before getting a Mavic 3 Pro and my lens switches were never as slow as with the Mavic 3 Pro and still aren't when I fly the older M3.

Brief answer is no on both counts.

The camera stitching is done on the drone and stored locally in the SD card (or memory for Cine models) so the processor speed of the remote is not relevant. The camera lag also appears to be with the drone. I have a RC Pro I was using with a Mavic 3 before getting a Mavic 3 Pro and my lens switches were never as slow as with the Mavic 3 Pro and still aren't when I fly the older M3.
Yes, that definitely makes sense on the stitching.

I've been flying the Mavic 3 Pro with the RC controller and just came in from another session. The camera switching delay is disappointing. I haven't put a timer on it, but subjectively, it seems worse than with the two cameras on the Mavic 3 with the RC-N1.

The range is definitely lacking with the RC controller. I was unable to maintain a signal in locations and altitudes that work fine with the Mavic 3 and the RC-N1.

Tomorrow, I'll pull out the RC-N1, tablet, and Mavmount for an overall comparison.

Reactions: Duncan McCall
Some tidbits here.

Some tidbits here.
Looks like a few errors in that table. In the controller section. The RC Pro is listed twice - with a Mavic 3 and Mini 3. One shows 1995 mw output and the other 398 mw, both in 2.4 ghz FCC mode.

The "Mini 3 RC-Pro" is actually the DJI RC controller, not the RC Pro.

From the DJI specs, the output from the RC Pro is 27% greater than that of the RC, at 2.4 ghz, FCC. And the RC-N1 and DJI RC have the same output.

EDIT: The dBM scale is logarithmic rather than linear. The RC Pro's output is nearly five times greater than that of the RC-N1.

Last edited:
Just my two cents: I really like the DJI RC and I’m usually that guy that needs to have the latest and greatest. Sure the little bit brighter display, the custom buttons, and the higher signal output of the Pro would be nice.

However, the DJI RC has a couple of advantages over the pro. It is really lightweight, in fact almost half the weight of the Pro and better balanced than the RC-N1 with a phone attached. I know that may not seem like a big deal but it is very comfortable to hold even with one hand and that makes a surprising difference to quality of life in the real world when flying.

Reactions: rp6 and EmsAir
However, the DJI RC has a couple of advantages over the pro. It is really lightweight, in fact almost half the weight of the Pro and better balanced than the RC-N1 with a phone attached. I know that may not seem like a big deal but it is very comfortable to hold even with one hand and that makes a surprising difference to quality of life in the real world when flying.

I have both controllers since I bought my Mavic 3 Pro as the base package and the RC came along with it. I have since paired it with my old Mavic 3 and given it a try just to see what the controller was like to work with. I do like the look and feel of the RC Pro version over the RC and in particular the feel of the joysticks in use but brett8883 is absolutely correct about the weight differences.

The Pro version is significantly heavier which isn't an issue for short flights but if you are doing a marathon photo shoot and going through multiple batteries that weight will start to take a toll. The RC controller feels like its about half the weight of the RC Pro.

Just my two cents: I really like the DJI RC and I’m usually that guy that needs to have the latest and greatest. Sure the little bit brighter display, the custom buttons, and the higher signal output of the Pro would be nice.

I agree completely about the convenience, feel, and usability of the RC controller. I really enjoy the one that came with the Mini 3 Pro. But after using it with the Mavic 3 Pro for a few days, I'm seeing that I'm losing connection with the drone in an area where I flew frequently with the Mavic 3 and RC-N1. This evening, I flew the Mavic 3 Pro with the RC-N1 and it behaved just as well as the Mavic 3 with RC-N1 did.

I'll do a few more flights tomorrow to confirm, but right now it seems like the RC controller with the Mavic 3 Pro isn't going to cut it. The options seem to be picking up and RC-N1 for $100 and using the tablet and Mavmount or spending $1100 for the RC Pro. I guess I was hoping that someone would sell me on the RC Pro. I

I agree completely about the convenience, feel, and usability of the RC controller. I really enjoy the one that came with the Mini 3 Pro. But after using it with the Mavic 3 Pro for a few days, I'm seeing that I'm losing connection with the drone in an area where I flew frequently with the Mavic 3 and RC-N1. This evening, I flew the Mavic 3 Pro with the RC-N1 and it behaved just as well as the Mavic 3 with RC-N1 did.

I'll do a few more flights tomorrow to confirm, but right now it seems like the RC controller with the Mavic 3 Pro isn't going to cut it. The options seem to be picking up and RC-N1 for $100 and using the tablet and Mavmount or spending $1100 for the RC Pro. I guess I was hoping that someone would sell me on the RC Pro. I
Seems like maybe there’s an issue with the equipment or some firmware issue. Unless you are pushing things to the limit you shouldn’t be having connection issues on a Mavic 3.

Seems like maybe there’s an issue with the equipment or some firmware issue. Unless you are pushing things to the limit you shouldn’t be having connection issues on a Mavic 3.
I confirmed this morning that there's a very significant difference in the way the RC and the RC-N1 perform with the Mavic 3 Pro. The signal strength with the RC is not adequate to operate at at location and altitude at which the RC-N1 maintains 2 to 4 white bars. The video feed with the RC lags and the signal strength varies between 1 to three orange bars and frequently loses connection entirely. Firmware is up to date for all devices.

Are you seeing similar connection performance with the RC as with the RC-Pro? Does the 21% additional output power with the RC-Pro make a significant difference?

I confirmed this morning that there's a very significant difference in the way the RC and the RC-N1 perform with the Mavic 3 Pro. The signal strength with the RC is not adequate to operate at at location and altitude at which the RC-N1 maintains 2 to 4 white bars. The video feed with the RC lags and the signal strength varies between 1 to three orange bars and frequently loses connection entirely. Firmware is up to date for all devices.

Are you seeing similar connection performance with the RC as with the RC-Pro? Does the 21% additional output power with the RC-Pro make a significant difference?
Keep in mind that video feed performance is determined by the RC's ability to receive signals from the aircraft (not transmission power of the RC) and is also dependent on the processing power of the RC, in which case the device on the N1 likely has better processing power than the RC. (The RC-Pro has much better processing power than the RC does).

Keep in mind that video feed performance is determined by the RC's ability to receive signals from the aircraft (not transmission power of the RC) and is also dependent on the processing power of the RC, in which case the device on the N1 likely has better processing power than the RC. (The RC-Pro has much better processing power than the RC does).
Very good point on the video feed. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the difference in the connection quality between the three controllers?

That’s not the point though. The processing power of the chip doesn’t determine connection strength of the radio connection. If the chip can process the video feed when there’s a good connection it’s not like it takes more processing power to decode the signal when there’s poor radio connection. I also highly doubt the RC-N1 has a better processor than the RC N1. The better processor on the pro is for running 3rd party apps and simultaneously apps.

I have no connection issues what so ever with my Mavic 3 and the DJI RC. In fact it’s the best connection I have ever had with any DJI product and I have had a lot of them. Admittedly I haven’t tried the RC N1 with it because I haven’t felt a need to.

That’s not the point though. The processing power of the chip doesn’t determine connection strength of the radio connection. If the chip can process the video feed when there’s a good connection it’s not like it takes more processing power to decode the signal when there’s poor radio connection. I also highly doubt the RC-N1 has a better processor than the RC N1. The better processor on the pro is for running 3rd party apps and simultaneously apps.

I have no connection issues what so ever with my Mavic 3 and the DJI RC. In fact it’s the best connection I have ever had with any DJI product and I have had a lot of them. Admittedly I haven’t tried the RC N1 with it because I haven’t felt a need to.
RIght, I agree that quality of the video feed and the controller/drone control signal quality are two distinctly different things and that processor power is not a determinant of controller signal strength and performance.

I've had no complaints about signal strength with any of the other six DJI drones I've had. The performance was fine at the distances and conditions I was willing to fly with. (I'm not the "range test" sort.)

I've been frequently shooting video and photos in the same location for the past two years. With the Mavic 3 and RC-N1 I could consistently operate down to 20' AGL with reasonable signal strength. In the past week, with the Mavic 3 Pro and RC controller, I've been unable to maintain a workable connection at that location below 250' AGL. I confirmed that the Mavic 3 and RC-N1 were still doing well, and then flew the Mavic 3 Pro with the RC-N1. It did equally well.

In may case the RC controller that came with the Mavic 3 Pro just does not communicate with the Mavic 3 Pro nearly as well as the RC-N1. I'm wondering whether the RC controller is faulty. And I'm wondering whether an RC Pro controller (higher power output, external antennas) might exceed the performance of the RC-N1.

My next step will be to try to RC controller from the Mini 3 Pro with the Mavic 3 Pro. But since it's 300 miles from here, that's going to have to wait a bit.

I appreciate your input.

and is also dependent on the processing power of the RC, in which case the device on the N1 likely has better processing power than the RC.
And to be clear you're referring to the tablet/smartphone by, "the device on the N1", right?

RIght, I agree that quality of the video feed and the controller/drone control signal quality are two distinctly different things and that processor power is not a determinant of controller signal strength and performance.

I've had no complaints about signal strength with any of the other six DJI drones I've had. The performance was fine at the distances and conditions I was willing to fly with. (I'm not the "range test" sort.)

I've been frequently shooting video and photos in the same location for the past two years. With the Mavic 3 and RC-N1 I could consistently operate down to 20' AGL with reasonable signal strength. In the past week, with the Mavic 3 Pro and RC controller, I've been unable to maintain a workable connection at that location below 250' AGL. I confirmed that the Mavic 3 and RC-N1 were still doing well, and then flew the Mavic 3 Pro with the RC-N1. It did equally well.

In may case the RC controller that came with the Mavic 3 Pro just does not communicate with the Mavic 3 Pro nearly as well as the RC-N1. I'm wondering whether the RC controller is faulty. And I'm wondering whether an RC Pro controller (higher power output, external antennas) might exceed the performance of the RC-N1.

My next step will be to try to RC controller from the Mini 3 Pro with the Mavic 3 Pro. But since it's 300 miles from here, that's going to have to wait a bit.

I appreciate your input.
Well RC Pro does in fact have the 2T4R antennas and is the only RC that can use O3+, so on paper it could possibly have an advantage. However, most actual tests of this seem to indicate there’s not a whole lot of real world difference but maybe in these fringe situations it could make a difference.

The problem with trying to compare what you used to be able to do with what you can do now is the environmental factors change. Down there in Mississippi in the summer even the humidity can be a factor. But if there’s a big noticeable difference on the same day using the two remotes to would send it in

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure