DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI should release a Mavic Mini 2 in 2020!

It's turning out that implementing drone delivery on a mass scale, especially in urban areas, is a lot more complicated than initially envisioned. While It's technically possible to use a drone to make a long distance delivery and has been done successfully in some testing, those tests have been very limited in scope. At this point, it's looking like wide scale door to door delivery is a long way off yet. There are still a lot of technical, safety and social issues to overcome yet.

Once it will be more economically feasible it will all get approved and deployed in no time.

Once it will be more economically feasible it will all get approved and deployed in no time.

I disagree. Regardless of economics and regulatory approval, it's the consumer and the general public that will ultimately determine whether it goes forward for more than a handful of specialized situations. Additionally , there are still huge technical and logistical challenges in the real world that may or may not eventually be solvable, not the least of which is the human factor.

i am sure that any sort of system for populated areas is many years away, there are situations in thinly populated areas,for the adoption of some sort of drone delivery service ,mainly for medical reasons, the logistics of drone delivery are complex and at this time they are not cost effective due to payload restrictions

With the Mini being new and having some growing pains, a Mavic, Mini 2 should be coming soon (or at least by Oct 2020)

I think the idea of a sub 250 gram drone with 3d gimbal is amazing, but as with very cheap competitive drones now having active track, and waypoint mission, etc, (which are software driven) and the Mini having some structural issues, such as flexing arm causing props to hit, I think it’s time for a Mavic Mini 2!

Why is a new Mavic Mini 2 coming in Oct 2020 or sooner?
Firstly look at the history of the Mavic Pro one of DJI’s most successful consumer drones as reference. They had a steady stream of “New”

Sept 2016 First Mavic Pro
Aug 2017 Mavic Pro Platinum
Aug 2018 Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom
2019 nothing new for the Pro
2020 Q1 Mavic 3

Secondly if DJI is banking on sub 250 gram market to be huge, they should be releasing a new Mini 2 by Oct 2020, or sooner if the current model has structural issues!

Mavic Mini 2, seems a no brainer, as most folks want 3 things:
1) fix the arms so they don’t flex and props hit
2) add active track and waypoint mission, more quick pics, etc. this is a simple software add on and if folks are afraid to crash the drone, as there are no front sensors, then don’t use the feature.
3) ability to fly In NFZ as this is allowed with sub 250 gram drones. Or limit to a reasonable distance so folks can fly the Mini in their backyards?

Yes 2 of the 3 above are software fixes, so at a minimum we should expect a firmware upgrade soon. But admitting the arms flex would require a recall or new arms to be sent out, which is very expensive. An add on fix the arms, would surely take the weight to 250 grams, above the magic “fly everywhere”.

So a logical and lucrative fix would be to release a Mini 2 with all the features everyone wants while addressing the flexing arms. Way cheaper for DJI, and creates another amazing little sub 250 gram drone all current Mini owners will want, and all those sitting on the fence due to the issues listed above, will now surely jump in!

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Mini is an amazing drone, but I will sit on the fence till the Mini 2 releases!

What are your thoughts?

I have over 60 flights and 15 hours on my MM with no structural issues or props hitting. I have extended legs and a small flashing LED attached. I have 6 batts and am having a blast with this drone. Passed my part 107 and making some great videos. As a private pilot also, I think this is a great entry drone with a very affordable price point. I've done every firmware upgrade to drone, controller, and batteries, no problems. Using both an iphone7+ and iPad Mini 4. My biggest problem is iCloud storage! With reasonable line of sight to the drone I can go about 1700 - 2000' (I cant see it though) and have tested it to max altitude at a fairly safe place to 1500' (I know, that's illegal, wanted to check the envelope) Steep learning curve for the logistics of uploading logs and spend 3x more time post-flight with the data! I will for sure upgrade to a better Phantom or something, this would bet is part of the business plan for the MM.

Reactions: BADMINI444
In India the sub 250 category known as "nano" did not require registration. However from the 1st of March they do. In fact all Quadcopter require to be registered.
Can you supply a source / reference for this new piece of information?

Can someone throw some more light on the flexing arms issue - I wasn't aware of this problem.
Here’s one. There are several others.

Now with the corona virus, it is almost impossible to get Mavic Mini in Thailand.

I recently dipped my mavic air to sea. After cleaning and everything it is still turn on (red/yellow light) but can’t get connected. Would love to change and buy Mavic Mini.

It's turning out that implementing drone delivery on a mass scale, especially in urban areas, is a lot more complicated than initially envisioned. While It's technically possible to use a drone to make a long distance delivery and has been done successfully in some testing, those tests have been very limited in scope. At this point, it's looking like wide scale door to door delivery is a long way off yet. There are still a lot of technical, safety and social issues to overcome yet.

Ok, most of us here love technology and are often excited about what it can do, or promises. I often ask myself the question; "yeah, you can do it, but whyu would you?". I think that drone delivery makes sense in more isolated difficult locations, but for 90% of places, deliver my package by truck makes a lot more sense.

I would pay an extra $$ for extra features, esp front sensor and better firmware/software. On my 4th mavic mini due to buggy code/hardware. Why not make an awesome $700 mini? I'd pay that if it worked like my mp2

I would pay an extra $$ for extra features, esp front sensor and better firmware/software. On my 4th mavic mini due to buggy code/hardware. Why not make an awesome $700 mini? I'd pay that if it worked like my mp2
A much better drone not much bigger than the Mini with a lot of extra features is already available.

it’s called the Mavic Air. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: sunsetrunner

A much better drone not much bigger than the Mini with a lot of extra features is already available.

it’s called the Mavic Air. ?
I think the point is an all feature drone under 250 grams, vs a very heavy, and noisy Mavic Air.I had an Air and got a Mavic Mini, it was for the kids, but I love it so much, it’s now mine lol.
I still have a Hubsan Zino, and that is also a great drone, but find myself flying the mini every chance I get... do you know what the secret is?... it’s under 250grams and thus I can fly it almost anywhere anytime. (In Canada)

The spark was full featured and Dji built this with no regard to weight, and it was only 300 grams, I am shocked they could not intentionally build a New one with 4k and under 250 grams!

I would love to get my hands on a cheap spark and see if it can be Frankensteined to under 250 grams.

You think the Air is better than the Mini? I disagree.
As I own both, I can say with some conviction that it is substantially better. You only have to look at the specs for a start. Full manual camera control, 4K video, 100mbps bitrate, can handle strong winds.... and that's just scratching the surface.

Reactions: Starz
The flight time on the Air sucks. I have two MP2s, and just like in my camera life, I have backup gear and wanted a smaller device to carry around. I like having 25 mins flight time unlike the airs 15 min.

As I own both, I can say with some conviction that it is substantially better. You only have to look at the specs for a start. Full manual camera control, 4K video, 100mbps bitrate, can handle strong winds.... and that's just scratching the surface.

I had a Mavic Air and here are my pro and cons vs the Mini

Air 4k vs mini 2.7k... so I have a 160” 4k projector and hard To tell whether looking at 4k or 2.7k... so unless you’re watching a 60” tv 4ft away, how can you tell the difference.

tracking: Air wins, but I am confident tracking is coming in a future update.

wind: Air wins 35km/hr , Mini 28km/hr so not sure what all the hype is for 7km/hr

noise Air loud, very Loud

flight time Air 21 Mini 30... almost 50% more flight time!

parts Mini substantially less expensive

where to fly... in Canada the Air is restricted as over 250gram , I am registered and have my drone License... and struggle to find a place to fly... I fly my mini every second day, take it on walks these days as keeping social distancing.

I loved my Mavic Air, flew it only once a month,

I fly my Mini 2 to 3 times a week.
love to get your perspective as a Mavic Air Fan

Reactions: EyesWideShut
It would be great if they would up the weight to under 300g and add: collision sensors and a better RF. Going on my 5th MM here due to WiFi interference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev