DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pay attention! (I didn’t)

Starz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Check your props and see if they are doing a bit of self trimming. If you have ever heard a clicking noise that comes from nowhere, you may now have an answer. I never put the two together until someone else brought it up. I’m not thinking this is a pilot error issue at all other than the fact that my preflight was not up to snuff. This mini has never seen anything but air, so the material missing from the prop is definitely from the contact it’s making on the shell.2DEE9C2E-2E18-4469-8B73-810D7A283533.jpeg69769F13-0089-40E2-98CA-999643AC3556.jpeg

Just hold the MM in your hand, start the motors with CSC for idle rpm and take a look into the propellers as shown on the photo.You should see just one line at the tips of each propeller, ensuring that both blades have the same pitch angle and run in the trace of each other. If that is not the case and even one blade is running near to the MM body, you should immediately exchange that pair of blades.

IMG_20200111_132407.jpg

In the process of switching out this prop, I’m finding that the screw is bent. Doesn’t really surprise me based on the diameter of the screw that this all hinges on. Only about 1.5mm to work with I think. Don’t have my digital caliper right now to get a real accurate reading.

If you use a straight edge along the leading edge of the prop to see if there's any daylight in the center. This would indicate prop condition.

Reactions: netsonic
If you use a straight edge along the leading edge of the prop to see if there's any daylight in the center. This would indicate prop condition.
Not sure what you mean. There are no straight edges on these props other than the area they mount to the motors.

Sorry I was thinking that if the prop was curved or bent the outside edge might make contact with the arm and cause the mark. If the blade was warped or bent the outside edge might run lower. I have a MM sitting unopened in the box now for a week. I shouldn't have commented without checking the design. I assumed the leading edge of the prop should be straight. My apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: netsonic
I've had two 'issues' with the Mini props, both after too-hasty pre-flight...

One is that they'll spin up with the rear arm not quite rotated completely, at a little angle, and hit the Mini's body, making a chip and nick like shown by the OP.

The other is that if I'm not careful to cross the props under the belly when putting the Mini in its little case, it's easy to bend a prop.

Those incidents, plus a tangle with a tree, have accounted for the three pairs of props I've swapped out on my Minis.

I have been thinking about some of these propeller holder. Some guys are fixing the propellers with rubber bands when in transport also. maybe the propellers get slightly bent by this? Also they could be forced into the case if not positioned right.

Reactions: Arnu69 and Capt KO
Just hold the MM in your hand, start the motors with CSC for idle rpm and take a look into the propellers as shown on the photo.You should see just one line at the tips of each propeller, ensuring that both blades have the same pitch angle and run in the trace of each other. If that is not the case and even one blade is running near to the MM body, you should immediately exchange that pair of blades.

View attachment 90442
What is CSC, and how do you start the mini in this mode?

I'm thinking this is a DJI problem created in the interest of making the drone as light as possible. All drone props flex a lot and I doubt if they are very often damaged by normal handling. The trailing edge is pretty easily nicked with some badly designed prop guards..and of course..the old marketing advise..easily fits in your pocket has never seemed like a good idea to me

I'm thinking this is a DJI problem created in the interest of making the drone as light as possible. All drone props flex a lot and I doubt if they are very often damaged by normal handling. The trailing edge is pretty easily nicked with some badly designed prop guards..and of course..the old marketing advise..easily fits in your pocket has never seemed like a good idea to me
The part of this issue that needs some attention is the direction of flex for these props to do what they are obviously doing. It’s the wrong direction. I’m wondering if the flex is emanating from the arm itself.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen any after market strengthening sleeves pop up on eBay yet. If I didn’t have my warranty to maintain I’d be tempted to remove the front foam filler, grease the cable where it enters the AC body and file the arms with epoxy resin or silicone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61