DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Support response and a warning to anyone who wants a DJI product.

Is really so... I fly on sea (open space)... some days I arrived at 4,5km, other only 3... more things change the maximum distance

There are lots of things that can interfere with the GPS signals, especially since the GPS signals are pretty weak. Obstructions, solar flares, someone using a GPS jammer nearby, etc.

... compass issues will also cause you to drop out of GPS mode, even if you have plenty of satellites in view...

Hi mate! I am a Newbie Mavic Pilot and just wanted to say sorry about your dilemma, must be frustrating ! I have attached a Trackr device onto my Mavic and it works brilliantly! Check them out you might want one for your next drone
Which tracking device do you use?

Can you believe that I did a google search for "Alternatives to the Mavic Pro" and by-golly there were tons of other companies that make drones too.. WOW!

I think this every time I read blanket statements about dji. Ive built my own drones and they've been fairly reliable after I learned how to solder. You can put GPS devices on drones as well.

Of course a DYI drone isnt gonna be as compact and sexy as a MP. But on the positive side you dont have to deal with dji's supposed draconian rules.

Reactions: stafvh and DodgeP
Your absolutely correct, but as there is no indication it's mine either and no explanation from Dji that's it's my fault, I can only assume it's a faulty product they will not admit to. I except no responsibility for my actions, and they do not seem to want to either.

They at least have the flight log up to the point it ended that show it was responding properly to your commands . You have nothing that indicates it is their problem . Dji or any other company should not be responsible for rookie mistakes or the lack of using common sense . People should fly very close in VLOS until they become proficient with the controls , flight characteristics , flight modes and how the app is working with their setup etc . If I ever had a app crash I would stop flying out of VLOS immediately until I figured out the issue or accept responsibility for whatever happened if I lost control . If a person has had numerous app crashes or loss of control and can't figure it out quickly they should return the drone and either buy something else or accept the fact that drone operations are out of their scope of ability and call it quits until a 100% failsafe totally automated flight system is invented .

The amount of buyers with the entitlement attitude that Dji has attracted into the RC field is quite amazing/Alarming .
Absolutely the BEST consumer grade drone that has ever been sold to the public and people want to blame everything but their own deficiencies .

DJI did a great job with mine! The Mavic clearly had a malfunction and they covered it under warranty. If they aren't sure what happened and its as likely your fault as their, 30% is pretty darn good and you should be happy! -CF

Keep the MP in line of sight and you won't have this problem. I hear a lot of stories about people losing their Mavic and it's over 2 miles away. There is no way that is flying within the rules of line of sight. I have been flying for several months and have lost connection several times but I was always able to see my Mavic until I gained control. Just because the MP can fly 4 miles away doesn't mean you should do it.
If we wanted a drone that you could not fly over 200' away and out of line of sight, we would buy a $30.00 piece of crap from Harbor Freight Tools. There are very few Mavic owners that stay within eye contact of the Mavic. It's hard to see even at 300'.

Silence is convicting ....

I wouldn't say that at all. Rather why come for more abuse?
On there one hand we have people bringing up legitimate issues with their birds doing something weird right in front of their eyes. No pilot error, seems likely to be a glitch in software. Nobody gives them grief in spite of logs showing no issues. But let a guy let it out of his sight and all the DJI fanboiz come out of there woodwork screaming it's heresy to think DJI could be at fault. These same people will bemoan DJI changes that land your drone if it thinks it's in a NFZ.
I personally think it's likely a loss of communication but then why not RTH? There are legitimate questions why any drone gets lost with all the fail-safes. While operator error is assuredly one of the possible causes it isn't necessarily the first people should invoke.

I have had a problem lost almost all connection to the mavic about 2.5 miles away 4,1 km

Lost gps constitution and got stuck in atti mode so no head speed no position and no video feed all i had sowing on the controller was distance
So I navigate it only on that back to me little over a mile then it went back to gps and all lights up again

It was stressful but be come and think on your feet that what pilots do

Don't panic and start doing stupid things that pilot error

You had yours 100 meters 335ft from you

Wow man I wonder how you go from 19 satellites to no satellite signal! Mountains in the area? Looks like open ground, especially if you managed 2.5 miles out. I would have done the same. Lost video signal one time a couple miles out and did the same thing watched my remote distance and still had sats and remote connection. Also used my map and drone icon. Must use any and all tools available when things go bad. I have State Farm for when all that fails :)

Reactions: dektronrancher
If we wanted a drone that you could not fly over 200' away and out of line of sight, we would buy a $30.00 piece of crap from Harbor Freight Tools. There are very few Mavic owners that stay within eye contact of the Mavic. It's hard to see even at 300'.

I don't believe any Mavic owner that says they never flew beyond visual range. Especially any of the drone police on here.

I wouldn't say that at all. Rather why come for more abuse?
On there one hand we have people bringing up legitimate issues with their birds doing something weird right in front of their eyes. No pilot error, seems likely to be a glitch in software. Nobody gives them grief in spite of logs showing no issues. But let a guy let it out of his sight and all the DJI fanboiz come out of there woodwork screaming it's heresy to think DJI could be at fault. These same people will bemoan DJI changes that land your drone if it thinks it's in a NFZ.
I personally think it's likely a loss of communication but then why not RTH? There are legitimate questions why any drone gets lost with all the fail-safes. While operator error is assuredly one of the possible causes it isn't necessarily the first people should invoke.

Agreed 100%. There are many fail safes inherent in this drone's design that should have saved his drone. Loss of signal? RTH. No battery? RTH. DJI does not have the world's best customer service IMO, after months of dealing with their DJI Go 4 app crashing on both tablet and phone, and seemingly no support feedback from them. However, I will say that after what seemed like a dozen app and firmware updates its not crashing anymore.

Well. Hopefully they will send you a brand new free drone and a letter of apology.

Flying into a high voltage line might abruptly end the communication. Any other ideas on what could kill it completely, mid flight...I mean, besides the obvious...aliens...

Reactions: Brojon and cderoche
Flying into a high voltage line might abruptly end the communication. Any other ideas on what could kill it completely, mid flight...I mean, besides the obvious...aliens...
LOL -there's two ports they could probe.. ;)

It would be enlightening to have coordinates and a flying height when the issue happened. Wonder if a sat view would show anything.

Anything can happen if you lose LOS, yes power lines, bird strike is most common or simply RF or EMF disturbance , I've had this happen to me because I'm in a very strong RF interference area, its luck of the draw sometimes if affects my bird more than other times, including what the sun is doing..so many factors has nothing to do with DJI fault. If you go beyond LOS, its the fault of the operator even though there are reduncies Mavic should fly back, but how do you know what happened to it, so many variables..REason I 'm always shaking when I lose sight of my MAVIC and come back asap so I can actually see it again because you just never know what might be in the environment, mostly the bald eagles and hawks in the area...Its sucks to lose MAVIC for whatever reason, I feel your pain but can't blame DJI unless you can prove it was problem with the software, FM..

What you think of the response that took over a week, I will never buy a DJI product again as they will never admit its their fault when the product fails. Full transcript and logs available for anyone and will be posted soon if required, but waiting for their response first after another few days
To be honest, I did not see it do a flyaway as some have, too busy with the reconnect on the remote and waiting for it to come back, searched all night till it went dark and 4hrs the following day, simply not within 150m radius of where Find my drone said it should have been.

"Thanks for your patience.
For your claimed case CAS-??????-W?????, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked at GPS mode and responded to RC command well;

2. t=2:28, h=102 m, d=106 m, the aircraft flew forward after the pilot pushed pitch stick forward. The record ended suddenly.

With the record ended without any sign of abnormality, we could not verify what happened afterwards.

We truly appreciate your support for DJI, and especially applied for a 30% off coupon for aircraft without charger and remote:"

Absolutely disgraceful support.
Comments please.

YOW, DJI customer support is done in Chinese society parameters. They just don't understand real business style customer support. It seems like they are used to people trying to scam them all the time so they are not customer friendly.

I just noticed they specified the height at 102 m. That's too high to be a power line or tree - unless he was flying up the side of a mountain. Still coulda been a bird but you would expect there to be some data on a change in sensor data - they did detect the stick being pushed forward so it *was* sending telemetry up to that point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview