DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

So I'm going to Iceland this upcoming week, is this saying that I'll possibly not be able to fly there? Or when I get home not be able to fly here as it would think I'm in Iceland?

So I'm going to Iceland this upcoming week, is this saying that I'll possibly not be able to fly there? Or when I get home not be able to fly here as it would think I'm in Iceland?
This is the exact same question I just had. I am going to Italy in the coming days for a week and worried if I update there that it will permanently think my drone is in Italy in terms of the limitations it may impose.

"If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high."

It reads plain as day to me. If you update the firmware but don't re-activate then you will be restricted in flight. So just don't update the firmware. Why is this so confusing to everyone?

Reactions: dwallersv
It sounds to me like nobody really knows yet what this software update will bring.

So shouldn't the real question be how we can prepare for it in case it locks down or otherwise cripples our drones?

Some guy created a server with a complete image of an earlier update. I think it was 0.4. is that still around?

Reactions: timsco60 and adiru
Agree!!! If we do sign up to allow these sort of blanket changes every time we update then shame on us! But like a lot of these types of contracts it still has to pass a "fairness" test. Be interesting to see if that will hold up if it goes to class action.

And just how do you expect a class action suit to proceed against a company based in China? Good luck with that....

Reactions: Fplvert
I use 2 different mobile devices. A Samsung Galaxy S7 and an iPad Mini 2.
The iPad Mini 2 is wifi only so if I disabled the wifi function, the iPad will not connect to the internet.
On the S7, I can put it into airplane mode, so it is not connected to the internet.
So theoretically, DJI would have no idea I was even there and everything should remain as it is.
Right?
:rolleyes:

I use 2 different mobile devices. A Samsung Galaxy S7 and an iPad Mini 2.
The iPad Mini 2 is wifi only so if I disabled the wifi function, the iPad will not connect to the internet.
On the S7, I can put it into airplane mode, so it is not connected to the internet.
So theoretically, DJI would have no idea I was even there and everything should remain as it is.
Right?
:rolleyes:

YES. That is correct. Like I said, this just seems to be an excuse for a bunch of people to ***** about a broader trend. Its like when there's a police shooting or case of sexual harrassment in the news. No one cares about the particular details of the cases, they all just want to expound on their views of race and gender relations, and timely news stories make that possible.

In regards to the mavic, the only way that DJI could theoretically force you to update is if they had set even the earliest versions of the firmware to expire after so many months. That would mean that even if there was no update available at the moment you would still periodically be required to login and re-activate your drone just to start the expiration date countdown of the firmware over again. But there is no evidence that that's the case and no one at all has ever been asked to re-activate their firmware on account of it expiring. But you wont hear this from certain posters on this forum because they want you to panic.

Man this certainly sucks as using warranty / Care Refresh will now really become a problem for everyone who wants to 'stay' on older firmware...

Reactions: adiru
Man this certainly sucks as using warranty / Care Refresh will now really become a problem for everyone who wants to 'stay' on older firmware...

No its not a problem because a company CANNOT change a warranty after the sale is made. DJI never stated that firmware updates were required, so DJI cannot make it a clause now. Even if the tried to include it in a new EULA when you re-register, it would still be illegal.

Rob

Last edited:
So does this mean that in Canada, with our ridiculous legislation our devices will essentially be bricks within city limits?

I'm pretty sure everything is going to be fine, even in the Email they sent me last night, they said that nothings changed and they aren't adding any more limitations.

After reading the email I got from Dji about this update it seems you can avoid the whole mess by just not updating. The way I read it is IF you update and don't re-register it will be locked down. Nowhere have I seen anything that said it would be locked down if you don't update. Now will this new app work with old AC firmware such as .400? That is the only possible forced upgrade I can see out of this. But at this point its all speculation. We will know nothing for sure until it comes out and users report back. It seems there is a lot of wasted energy here discussing and arguing about unknown/possible outcomes. it could turn out there is very little or no effect on users here in the US. Wait and see

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman