DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI would like you to “See The Bigger Picture” on July 18th – announcement?

Anything that moves in the scene is a problem. I'd also use vertical mode to stitch a horizontal panorama - best vertical+horizontal coverage
If we're talking about content for social media, I don't think it matters all that much. If you're printing large format then you may notice some distortion due to the camera position changing relative to the axis of rotation. It hasn't bothered me much but I understand the frustration of no longer having a feature that was available in the older generation.

If we're talking about content for social media, I don't think it matters all that much. If you're printing large format then you may notice some distortion due to the camera position changing relative to the axis of rotation. It hasn't bothered me much but I understand the frustration of no longer having a feature that was available in the older generation.

It's mostly unfortunate they actually TOOK AWAY that feature more than anything. I am not an engineer, but I don't completely buy that they couldn't support rotation of the camera (unless maybe it risks hitting the "underside" of the top front of the drone body?

I was always very happy with my Mavic Pro gimbal quality, I recall 1 - maybe 2 videos where even with the gimbal it was a bit shaky video (but smooth shaky) just because wind was gusty enough

Reactions: Joola
"Simply cramming more pixels onto the same sensor and processor usually just increases noise and so on.

If if is the same sensor and proportionate pixel quality, you lose nothing by adding more MP should you take that higher MP version and downsize it to the lower MP equivalent before comparing. If it were the same sensor and processing with the only difference being MP, all else would be equal, so your statement is not true - higher MP in that example would always be the same or better with regards to image quality.

Taking the same sensor/processor and "cramming more pixels" onto it increases pixel-level noise, but you gain it back *and more* when you down-sample to match the lower resolution comparison. The reverse is not true, so if you were to up-res a lower MP image to try and match a higher MP image it would be much worse.

Modern sensors are all pretty much at the limit of what physics allow, therefore when the higher MP versions are down-sampled to match the lower MP versions, you are *never* left with a worse image (all else equal), and it hides noise better among other things. You also of course get extra benefits like much greater resistance to moire and less destructive post processing, as well as usage of the higher MP when you want it (cropping flexibility, etc.)

My point was not “all else equal”. We are comparing Pro model with Zoom. And the benefit of more MP is well know to be over rated. Google it and read for yourself. Here is one article from Digitrend.

I am aware of how it works, as well as the in-depth sensor physics behind it all. The article you posted is not well researched and perpetuates several myths, especially with the very basic/elementary explanations they are using in order to make broad, inaccurate generalizations. The benefit of more MP is most definitely not over rated, all else equal (even if you forget the Pro model and look at two 1/2.3" sensors). There is a whole lot more that matters, such as things like well capacity, bit depth, microlens array, how the ADC is handled, etc. It is not as simple as saying things like larger sensors are always better, and anything more than 12MP is a waste - there is so much more to it than that.

Any thoughts on DJI Care/refresh?

I had a Phantom 4 and then a Mavic Pro. Before I even sold my Mavic Pro, I was STILL on the original props. Perhaps I'm "too" careful with my drone - I'd like to use it more as a tool rather than baby it, but I also don't want to ruin a $2k purchase. Is it "worth it"?

I think I might just purchase some extras instead of the fly more combo this time around - I like the charging hub, but I never used the battery-to-USB nor the car charger. In fact, the car charger seemed to have issues with my mavic pro. I recall it being a bit of a known issue with some cars?

I already have a car DC->AC inverter/adapter... so I figure I'll just stick with the standard charger and use that in the car. That's fine right?

Reactions: Johnnyaibo
Did you guys see about the new controller option coming soon.. Like p4p+ going to have a built in screen available. Not yet but soon I saw in a review. Looks cool, I will not shell out my money on it yet.

Reactions: Clinton1
Well aware of sensor size. However resolution comes into play. Simply sticking "more megapixels" on a same size sensor is likely to make the image quality worse not better.

Did you guys see about the new controller option coming soon.. Like p4p+ going to have a built in screen available. Not yet but soon I saw in a review. Looks cool, I will not shell out my money on it yet.

I personally don't like the idea of a bigger remote as a result. With phantom, which is already big, it makes more sense to me. I prefer to reuse my phone, which I already have with me. BUT yes, I wish my pixel displayed much better in light!

Taking the same sensor/processor and "cramming more pixels" onto it increases pixel-level noise, but you gain it back *and more* when you down-sample to match the lower resolution comparison.

That simply isn't true. A lot of the noise is irreversible. You also stand a chance of getting diffraction artefacts introduced which again can't be filtered out or removed.

That simply isn't true. A lot of the noise is irreversible. You also stand a chance of getting diffraction artefacts introduced which again can't be filtered out or removed.

You do not understand how it works.

Here is an example:

You have two sensors, identical in every way except one is 24MP and one is 46MP. You take the same picture with both and compare.

When comparing the two, whether it be noise or other metrics, there is *never* a scenario where the 46MP image down-sampled to 24MP will look worse than the native 24MP image. If you increase the 24MP image to match the 46MP image, it will be much worse and the same is not true. The higher MP sensor affords you the benefits of both.

Higher MP hides things like diffraction and moire outside extreme scenarios, and they take post processing much better (such as software based noise reduction).

Here is a demonstration of the principle - the sensor technology isn't exactly equal but it's similar enough for demonstration purposes. Here you have a 46MP camera and 24MP camera in a stress test (ISO 12,800 and low light - a D850 and a D750) see how even when scrutinized at 100%, there is virtually no difference in observable image quality or noise? The D850 image is even underexposed by about 0.3EV which handicaps it, but it's about as good of a demonstration one can quickly come up with:

Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

Now, click on "full" instead of "comp" and you can see what the higher MP is hiding, demonstrating the effect. The advantage being you get the best of both worlds.

You do not get "artifacts" from diffraction caused by high resolution sensors, that is an optical property determined by the aperture used.

Am I the only one wondering what sort of problems the controller is going to have with phones?

Off DJI site:
Mobile phones that are 6.5–8.5 mm thick and no more than 160 mm long will fit in the remote controller clamps comfortably. We strongly recommend you to remove the protective cover before attaching your mobile phone. For tablets beyond this measurement range, please purchase the DJI Mavic 2 Tablet Holder.

The rumored google pixel 3 XL MAY fit, but not with any kind of case on it.
The Note 9 won't fit
The larger rumored iphones are unlikely to fit, I think?

As I predicted, around $1500 for the only one worth buying. It looks sweet, but a warning to all those that are ordering. Your going to end up spending $2000 by time you buy extra batteries, a new case and the ton of accessories that we all end up getting. Just be careful folks this is a lot of money and the extra video quality may not jump out at you like your expecting. I highly suggest watching a 4K review of the old Pro vs the Pro2 before shelling out the cash. Anyway I know this is falling on deaf ears as money is burning holes in peoples pockets! So order away and I will wait to see a real unbiased review.

Rob

What about the new waypoints 2.0 that's coming soon as well could this be offline waypoints feature planning dji are releasing pretty please dji hahaha

Screenshot_20180823-225348.jpeg

I've been looking for it and can't find it. Does anybody know if the mavic pro II has a rolling shutter or a global shutter?

I have to say that after watching some of the videos I am super impressed. The active track 2 feature is unbelievably good.

I watched the video on a 4K OLED and have to admit it's very good camera, it's of course not DSLR good but for a drone its darn good. I already went out and bought the googles based on it's early reviews and was some what disapointed so I am still going to wait to hear from regular folks about the good and bad points. I am especially interested in the NFZ stuff and how intrusive it is.

All in all it looks like they made a worthy successor based on the current videos but until it reaches into the hands of a lot more people I am not going to be pulling the trigger.

Nice video Review:

Rob

I've been looking for it and can't find it. Does anybody know if the mavic pro II has a rolling shutter or a global shutter?

It looks like it's electronic 'rolling'. The overwhelming majority of CMOS sensors do not have global shutters. I highly doubt it has a global shutter- they would have advertised that a lot. If they are using Sony's latest 1" stacked sensors with front side LSI and DRAM, they have very fast readout and rolling shutter should not be much of an issue.

The Phantom 4 Pro uses a Sony IMX 183 which is back-side illuminated but not a stacked sensor (it has a much faster mechanical shutter), and I don't know yet what the model number of the Sony sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro is, whether they used a new one or the same one as the Phantom.

Last edited:
It looks like it's electronic 'rolling'. I highly doubt it has a global shutter- they would have advertised that a lot. If they are using Sony's latest 1" stacked sensors with front side LSI and DRAM, they have very fast readout and rolling shutter should not be much of an issue.

The Phantom 4 Pro uses a Sony IMX 183 which is back-side illuminated but not a stacked sensor (it has a mechanical shutter), and I don't know yet what the model number of the Sony sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro is, whether they used a new one or the same one as the Phantom.
Thanks for the response. I was hoping this camera would have everything the Phantom camera has. Maybe next time. I'm sure the Phantom 5 will have interchangeable lenses or cameras or both. Can't really complain, we asked for a one inch sensor and got it.

Thanks for the response. I was hoping this camera would have everything the Phantom camera has. Maybe next time. I'm sure the Phantom 5 will have interchangeable lenses or cameras or both. Can't really complain, we asked for a one inch sensor and got it.

Yes this is about the limit on what we will see on a drone of this size. I really doubt the 1" sensor is really making a huge difference, it is making some difference but we have reached a point just like with phone cameras, the point of diminishing returns!

What is needed is bigger lenses and that is not going to happen on a drone the size of the Mavic. I truly think that in this form factor they can go no further in image quality. Maybe they can get away with the 1" sensor and 2x zoom in the Mavic Pro3 but that IMHO is the limit.

I think the mechanical shutter and 4K/60P are needed to differentiate it now that the Pro 2 is out - if it had those things, I don't know who would buy a Phantom. You're right though the 1" sensor is fantastic and in my opinion a game changer on a drone that can fold like the Mavic does.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121