DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI would like you to “See The Bigger Picture” on July 18th – announcement?

Same here

I commend them on being able to ship immediately, but I'll be waiting for the bugs to be worked out on new models.

In the meantime, my MP is up for sale on CL

Which bugs do you speak of? I have a nearly 2 year old MP that I bought at launch that still works flawlessly. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

How is a 1" sensor be only 20MP and the smaller one be 48MP?

I think it just has an automated pano mode using the zoom lens to capture a large stitched pano with minimal distortion (because it's at 48mm)

Why would anyone need the zoom? It's a drone. Just fly closer. 1" sensor for the win!

I guess I am not overly impressed by either option. If the pro had interchangeable lens like we all were hoping and even DJI Stores were saying it would have, it would be a no brainer. Anyone notice they never used the word “Enterprise”? Maybe the Mavic 2 Enterprise version will have interchangeable lenses and ability to use Cendence? Also, what about the pics with the top mounted camera or whatever it was.? With a Mavic Pro and I2, no big motivation to buy now.

1) can the controller sticks come off like the air controller?
2) Can the pro camera still rotate 90 degrees and shooter portrait/vertical?

1) Still looking myself but I would be shocked if not

2) No it can't (confirmed on DJI FAQ)

The smaller one is still 12MP for regular stills, the 48MP is a stitched image/Panorama.

I capture mostly wildlife so the zoom might be good for that, no need to get up close and spooky them.

Even at 48mm, you aren't even beyond the approximate focal length of a human eye field of view. The zoom is almost entirely useless IMO. I can't imagine it will make much a difference at all for wildlife, 48mm is still quite wide.

MP beyond 12+ mean virtually nothing. The sensor is the most important for IQ and low light.

This is not true. There is nothing magical at all about 12MP. All else equal, it's *always* better to have more megapixels from an image quality perspective. Again all else equal, there is never a scenario where a down-sampled higher MP image does not equal or surpass a lower MP image with regards to quality. Exact same principles apply as they do in the DSLR world and apply regardless of sensor size.

1) Still looking myself but I would be shocked if not

2) No it can't (confirmed on DJI FAQ)

Saw elsewhere that the sticks are indeed stored in the fold-out arms area.

But wow, the lack of vertical is... disappointing. With 4x5 photos still being ideal for Instagram, and IGTV now pushing vertical video even more - I think this is a huge miss. I don't think this will be a dealbreaker for me... but yeah.

Also I would use vertical for my panoramas - fewer shots to get the best vertical field of view as you swing across.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
No..and this is a problem!

Yep... I don't think this will be a dealbreaker for me, but with Instagram/IGTV... vertical video is being pushed harder than when the Mavic Pro v1 was released. Seems really weird they didn't still support it - and even explicitly answer it in their FAQ. Obviously a conscious decision by them, but that sucks. :(

Yep... I don't think this will be a dealbreaker for me, but with Instagram/IGTV... vertical video is being pushed harder than when the Mavic Pro v1 was released. Seems really weird they didn't still support it - and even explicitly answer it in their FAQ. Obviously a conscious decision by them, but that sucks. :(

The FAQ states that there is a vertical pano mode that will stitch multiple phones together to achieve the same effect with a higher resolution output than just turning the camera into portrait mode. I don't see this as a problem at all.

The FAQ states that there is a vertical pano mode that will stitch multiple phones together to achieve the same effect with a higher resolution output than just turning the camera into portrait mode. I don't see this as a problem at all.

Anything that moves in the scene is a problem. I'd also use vertical mode to stitch a horizontal panorama - best vertical+horizontal coverage

This is not true. There is nothing magical at all about 12MP. All else equal, it's *always* better to have more megapixels from an image quality perspective. Again all else equal, there is never a scenario where a down-sampled higher MP image does not equal or surpass a lower MP image with regards to quality. Exact same principles apply as they do in the DSLR world and apply regardless of sensor size.[/QUOTE]

"All things being equal" agreed.
But when you have different sensors and different image processors that falls apart.
Simply cramming more pixels onto the same sensor and processor usually just increases noise and so on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut