DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI would not UN-Bind an already registered Drone/Controller

BGJCOLS

Reactions
I recently purchased a DJI Mini 2 from Amazon "Scratch and Dent" but when it was received looked NEW. Worked find on Mini 2 controller that came with it but when I linked it to my Smart Controller "Unable to take off pop up on screen after opening FLY APP" provided option of "Change Bound Device" "Unbind" or Cancel.

I did try "Cancel" and screen disappeared that but still "Unable to take off"

Change and Unbind did not work (something about Account Info did not match) But worked fine when I used controller that came with it. I called DJI Support and was told this unit was registered to someone else and they would not UN-Bind the account it was registered to (At this point my Smart Controller was useless with this Mini 2).

I called amazon and they are sending me another one "Hopefully this one works",

Moral of story,,, If someone has already registered the Drone/Controller you cannot use a different controller. BAD DJI as I could have provided proof of purchase but they did not care!

Attachments

• IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 86
I ran into this when I bought my Mavic 3 second hand. I had to contact the seller to sign out of his account attached to the drone before I could bind it to my account. Buying an open box drone from Amazon Warehouse doesn't give you this option.

DJI created this situation and should come up with a solution. Your proof of purchase should be enough for DJI to unbind from the old account.

Is this particular instance DJI's problem or is it Amazon's?

Is this binding not meant to prevent stolen or lost and found applicable equipment being used by the thief or finder? There have been threads on here asking for such measures.
If the binding was easily broken then thieves will certainly exploit that weakness. The fact that legitimate buyers fall foul of sellers who do not sever the connection is not really DJI's fault.

I am not being nasty here, it is a concern for anyone who buys a used 'bindable' item. (recent 'mavic' drones etc.?) And that likely includes me.

I believe that the fact that this is a used item bought from Amazon puts the ball firmly in Amazon's court, shouldn't the item have been checked before it was sent out. There is a similar thread over on the DJI forum though it concerns an M3. In the case of this thread Amazon have stepped up to the mark and sent out a replacement seemingly with little or no hassle to the unfortunate buyer.
If this is repeated and goods are returned to Amazon because of it I would bet it will not be long before Amazon are given the means to break this binding or there are container loads of equipment going back to DJI for resetting.

Unless there is a serial number and proof of ID on the reciept all the receipt proves is that some one bought an xyz drone from abc shop. OK an Amazon reciept probably has the buyer's name and address on it but does it list the serial number? I can't remember.

Last edited:
Not sure how much I like the new remote bind update. I recently contacted DJI because I use 2 controllers sometimes the stock one sometimes the smart controller. I was a little upset that I could not bind to 2 different controllers that I purchased and registered in my name. DJI really should have that as an option considering how many people have the control that comes with the drone as well as the smart controller. We should be allowed to bind both.

Reactions: fd123_2000
Not sure how much I like the new remote bind update. I recently contacted DJI because I use 2 controllers sometimes the stock one sometimes the smart controller. I was a little upset that I could not bind to 2 different controllers that I purchased and registered in my name. DJI really should have that as an option considering how many people have the control that comes with the drone as well as the smart controller. We should be allowed to bind both.
You can only have one remote bound to the drone at a time. Nothing prevents you from changing the bound remote. My Mavic 3 can either be bound to my RC-N1 with which it shipped, or my RC-Pro. Each time I change the bound remote, I need an internet connection to change the bound remote for purposes of Fly Away coverage, or I can fly 5 times without doing so.

You can only have one remote bound to the drone at a time. Nothing prevents you from changing the bound remote. My Mavic 3 can either be bound to my RC-N1 with which it shipped, or my RC-Pro. Each time I change the bound remote, I need an internet connection to change the bound remote for purposes of Fly Away coverage, or I can fly 5 times without doing so.
It is a total PIA to have to do that constantly every time I want to use one remote or the other. I paid for and registered both remotes and everything is under the same account. I nave a mini 2 and the Air 2s both can be operated by the same Smart controller. I may want to use both RC-N1 and my Smart controller in the same outing on any givin day. I feel like I should be able to use either one without going through the process each time.

It is a total PIA to have to do that constantly every time I want to use one remote or the other. I paid for and registered both remotes and everything is under the same account. I nave a mini 2 and the Air 2s both can be operated by the same Smart controller. I may want to use both RC-N1 and my Smart controller in the same outing on any givin day. I feel like I should be able to use either one without going through the process each time.
I agree. However, according to the M3 message, I can fly 5 missions after a simple binding, before I need an internet connection to continue with that device, if it was originally bound to the other device on my account. That gives the flexibility you are seeking, as the binding change takes only 30 seconds.

I agree. However, according to the M3 message, I can fly 5 missions after a simple binding, before I need an internet connection to continue with that device, if it was originally bound to the other device on my account. That gives the flexibility you are seeking, as the binding change takes only 30 seconds.
I have used the same RC-N1 for both drones in the past so I did not need to carry both remotes but have not tried recently. ??? It just seems like having the ability to use all my compatible DJI equipment regardless of which controller/drone registered under the same account satisfies my mission (or has a fully charged battery) is a reasonable request. I have expressed my concerns to DJI, hopefully it will be adressed.

Reactions: fd123_2000
Gadgetguy, what happens if you break the binding of BOTH controllers too your DJI account? Can you still use the controllers, one at a time, with the drone, after, at each swap, you do the normal 'old' linking thing between the drone and the chosen controller? Is there still a 5 flight limit?

As a second question, under your current set up, once you have bound the chosen controller to your account is there still a 5 flight limit before you must once again have an internet connection etc.?

Not binding any controller to your account does solve the multi controller issue however if not bound to your account DJI does not support fly away coverage.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks but that does not answer my question. Though it does raise two other questions,
1) why should the controller need to be bound to the account for the Flyaway cover to be valid? (Other than an arbitrary decision made by DJI.) It is the drone that one would normally 'expect' to lose, not the controller.
Having just typed that it prompts a third question, does fly away cover cover a lost controller too e.g. dropped into deep water or down a cliff?
2) If the controller is bound to the account does that binding process also bind the controller and drone to each other? Again, I AM NOT asking about the normal linking of the drone and controller.

Currently I have multiple std controllers for a Mini 2 ( one of the "bindable" drones, ) but neither the drone nor the controllers are bound to my account. Currently I can swap between the controllers as I choose with no 5 or any other number, flight limit. Obviously I have to link the 'new' controller each time I make a swap.

Last edited:
This is all only related to the Fly Away coverage. You can freely link any controller to any drone it is capable of controlling. The controller is not covered under any Refresh policy. The 5 flight limit only relates to FlyAway coverage, and should not prohibit using the same controller for more than 5 flights without an internet connection.

Is this particular instance DJI's problem or is it Amazon's?

Is this binding not meant to prevent stolen or lost and found applicable equipment being used by the thief or finder? There have been threads on here asking for such measures.
If the binding was easily broken then thieves will certainly exploit that weakness. The fact that legitimate buyers fall foul of sellers who do not sever the connection is not really DJI's fault.
Amazon can't do anything about this currently.... It has to be DJI. Amazon is reselling returned product and can't unbind. A retailer can't be expected to scrap drones because someone tried one out and returned it.

If someone has a valid receipt from a company for proof, especially from legit companies like Amazon then DJI should have a method to unbind so that the new owner can use it.

Amazon is currently taking a bath on this so they may be able to pressure DJI to fix the system. There are numbers of Amazon returns showing up on Ebay and other secondary markets that are being sold for parts. These come from pallet lots of Amazon returns deemed unusable.

I want to thank you all for your valid comments!

Yes Amazon sold me the done and took the responsibly “As they should”. (I might be a little prejudice here as I use “Love” Amazon and their 100% return policy) they stand behind what they are selling! Without them I might’ve been stuck with a DJI Mini 2 that was legitimately purchased but cannot be “UN-Bounded” and bounded to my legitimately purchased Smart Controller. Not all lightly used Drones are sold by Amazon.

Not to mention my DJI Mavic 2 Zoom & Smart Controller was bought “New in 2019” through Amazon and registered with DJI “Must have Bounded” and refresh was purchased through DJI.

On another note DJI knows who the DJI Mini 2 was accounted to but made NO effort to contact previous buyer to affirm “Account Release” that would’ve provided a solution. No-they-Just-Said “ON ME”! Remember I did not have previous buyer Email - No, but DJI did!

I told DJI I have the receipt from Amazon as proof of purchase and they still was not willing “In any way” helping me. I reached out to Amazon, explained what happened with DJI support and without hesitation they’re sending out replacement (Amazon will be sending someone to my house to pick bad one up, saving me time of packing up and going somewhere to get it returned). Amazon also mentioned that if no one stops by within 3 days to pick it up - I could keep it! “We’ll see if they pick it up”.

What I really think “DJI is protecting their proprietary property to the extent of harming legitimately purchasing buyers”. I imagine the previous buyer bought this drone new from Amazon, set it up, went through the process of setting up account “bounded the Drone” and decided they did not want the toy like Drone and sent back to Amazon. No, DJI is looking at their bottom dollar and not consumer satisfaction “thinking one now sold and perhaps another one due to their unfriendly proprietary boldness”.

I guess many companies do the same thing, it’s just sad of their unwillingness to help in any way of resolving my predicament. “My god it’s not rocket science” “Un-Bind my controller” “Send previous owner Email to verify” “Reach out to Amazon of issue”,,,, Options were endless but just saying NO HELP should’ve not been one of them!

I ran into this when I bought my Mavic 3 second hand. I had to contact the seller to sign out of his account attached to the drone before I could bind it to my account. Buying an open box drone from Amazon Warehouse doesn't give you this option.

DJI created this situation and should come up with a solution. Your proof of purchase should be enough for DJI to unbind from the old account.
How did the previous buyer sign out of their account? "Un-Bind it",, Did you have to provide them the Drone/Controller to do it or can it be done on the DJI Web site?

How did the previous buyer sign out of their account? "Un-Bind it",, Did you have to provide them the Drone/Controller to do it or can it be done on the DJI Web site?
If you have a look in the thread on the DJI forum concerning the Amazon bought M3 one of the MOD's posted how an original owner/binder can undo the binding and it looks as if it can be done remotely or that is my understanding of what was written.

.......A retailer can't be expected to scrap drones because someone tried one out and returned it.

If someone has a valid receipt from a company for proof, especially from legit companies like Amazon then DJI should have a method to unbind so that the new owner can use it.
Just a point, I did not suggest a retailer scrap such bound equipment. I did say ".......I would bet it will not be long before Amazon are given the means to break this binding or there are container loads of equipment going back to DJI for resetting"

A scenario. I find or steal a new looking drone, it turns out to be bound. Because I am a dishonest person I am able to forge a genuine looking receipt from a retailer that sells the drone. I contact DJi, sending them a copy of the receipt, and explain that I bought the drone from someone who provided either the original receipt or a copy of it and ask DJI to break the binding. I come up with a reasonable excuse to explain why the original owner can not or will not break the binding or can not be asked to do so.
Unless the drones are traceable to the retailer or DJI check with the retailer to see if the retailer did sell the drone etc. are DJI to accept that everything is kosher and break the binding?

Amazon have done the honourable thing here and are sending out a replacement. All credit to them for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
interesting - i ddnt know this was a problem. I have a M2P with a smart controller, but i recently purchased a used standard controller to use for drone deploy and other app based missions. I havent got around to trying it out yet, but it sounds like this is going to be a problem. I have to unbind and re-bind every time i want to switch controllers?

I have purchased used and ran into "already bound to another account". No I did not need to provide them with the drone/controller, fortunately I was able to contact seller and he simply logged into his DJI account and unbound from his account, very simple.

If I sign into Google from another computer I get an email notification asking if it was me or not. It would seem like DJI could set up something similar with a statement requesting to unbind if you no longer have interest in the drone.

Reactions: Pile
interesting - i ddnt know this was a problem. I have a M2P with a smart controller, but i recently purchased a used standard controller to use for drone deploy and other app based missions. I havent got around to trying it out yet, but it sounds like this is going to be a problem. I have to unbind and re-bind every time i want to switch controllers?
This entire thread is not relevant to the M2P. The "binding" referred to in here is something new and available only on the newer model drones, e.g. Mini 2, M3, and maybe the Air 2s and or the Air2.

With regards, to multiple controllers linked to the M2P, note I say "linked" to differentiate between the two associations, you can link two controllers to the M2P and indeed they can be simultaneously switched on and connected to the drone. But they do not have the same authority, the "primary" has precedence over the "secondary" at all times. The drone can be controlled by the secondary but if the primary issues a command it is the primary's command that is followed. This is detailed in the manual.
If you wish to alternate between the two controllers and have full access to menus via each controller then you will have to relink the controllers as you alternate them.
The default linking process results in full access to menus so I assume constitutes setting the 'new' controller as the primary.
Setting a 'new' controller as the primary or secondary respectively displaces any previous controller from the chosen position.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikegrad
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143