DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI's drone 'privacy mode' is now available

Yes they promised a "Local Mode" and they have been true to their word, however, they have stripped it right back, no map, no various flight modes, and I am sure there is other stuff missing.

But in their eyes they delivered what they said they would....... they never said it would have all the features of the standard app now did they!!

Another game of Chinese checkers.

Reactions: TheRoach
Too little, too late. Wouldn't trust that the data collected 'locally' wouldn't be transmitted at the next connection.

LOL - all DJI products are continuously in beta. Stopped flying DJI and couldn't be happier.
I am continuously looking for a better than dji drone, but I couldn't find it.

Can you please enlighten mee?
What are you flying now?

Thks

Anyone that would want this garbage software that DJI is throwing at us now is either delusional or uninformed of the alternative avenues of keeping their data private and DJI out of their business. There are multiple ways of keeping the DJIGO app from sharing your data without loosing any features. This forum unfortunately does not want any of those ways spoken off here. Not all information is accepted here.

If you are using dji go 4 app and you have a data plan, watch out. On my android plan the app used up my 2gb data plan in 14 days. Dji go 4 is costing me money. I stopped dji go 4 from having access to data.

Drone Harmony - Litchi - AutoPilot, and dare I say it "Special Version of GO" :)

Reactions: Bklynite
Your confused, I didn't even know there was a "pilot app". What's the difference between the Go4 app and the Pilot App and how do you install the pilot app on and android tablet and update the mavic firmware.

Thanks.

I’m confused, so they aren’t making this a dji go4 feature and I couldn’t find the pilot in App Store and when I do a google search it doesn’t seem that the pilot app is even available?

The Pilot App I believe is intended for the DJI CrystalSky screen, and some earlier devices (Drones). However, some have managed to get it working on Android devices without too much issue.

Very much cut down version of the Go App, the local mode is "supposed" to ensure that it does not talk to the dozens of Chinese servers the Go App does.

This was promised by DJI after the US Forces pulled the plug on them for all the Chinese chatter.

Those who have installed it, have found that not only is the maps missing, but also the various flight modes. So DJI delivered what they said they would, they never said it would have all the other features of the Go app.

Thanks for the info, I just tried it on my Samsung Tab E and I can not get it to connect. Might be the GO4 app is interfearing but I will be getting a CrystalSky in the near future so it's good to know that it works on that. I do a lot of indoor flying in a restricted zone and although I have not had a problem as of yet I just don't want to go to the gym and find out I can't fly one night.

The Pilot App I believe is intended for the DJI CrystalSky screen, and some earlier devices (Drones). However, some have managed to get it working on Android devices without too much issue.

Very much cut down version of the Go App, the local mode is "supposed" to ensure that it does not talk to the dozens of Chinese servers the Go App does.

This was promised by DJI after the US Forces pulled the plug on them for all the Chinese chatter.

Those who have installed it, have found that not only is the maps missing, but also the various flight modes. So DJI delivered what they said they would, they never said it would have all the other features of the Go app.

TROLL

He can’t answer the question. The kid is a troll
He may be away for the weekend...some people have a life ;)

Based on prior postings it looks like he's flying a Yuneeq H520, which is a compelling offering. But at $2000 to $4700 for a drone with commercial/industrial aspirations, and not portable like the Mavic, it's apples and oranges.

What he's doing is being a troll, for sure. He appears to be bitter, but misses the community. I'm guessing that any online community for the Yuneeq would carry the sound of crickets.

I run android on a Samsung S5 which is dedicated to the Mavic Pro. Although it has a SIM in it, I keep it in Airplane (Aeroplane) mode and keep WIFI and bluetooth off. It works just as well without a SIM. Any data generated or collected by the AC and transmitted to the RC, can't go anywhere except local cache memory or storage devices, either emulated or physical. Physical storage is usually a micro SD card in the phone. The DJI Go 4 app creates a number of files for each flight in the emulated storage. The file names are based on the phone's date and time settings and locale. The file types are mostly text files and can be opened with any text editor. Some files contain Chinese pictograms as well as English text. These files can be deleted, copied or moved.
Any of these files could be sent back to DJI's servers if you run the DJI app with the phone connected to the internet. As far as I know, there are no background threads running which would send these automatically when an internet connection is established. Any data that is recorded in the aircrafts internal storage may also be sent back to DJI's servers if the AC is powered on and linked to the RC and the app is running and an internet connection is available. As far as I know the AC is not GSM radio equiped, so it relies on the device running the app for any data to be sent over the internet. The external SD card installed in the AC by the user also has files created on it besides the video files. They are in a hidden folder named "misc".

In conclusion, if you don't let the app have an internet connection you are effectively in Local Data mode. The only time you must connect to the internet is to activate each different AC once.

I hope this helps.

Eric

You are correct Eric, many of us have been running in Airplane mode for some time now, some of us have been blocking the DJI Comms using firewalls, which is a little better as you can still be online with your maps, but always running the risk of one of the streams getting through the firewall.

There has been a great deal of discussion on "other sites" regarding these communication channels, and time and time again have shown that they are up to no good with them.

If its not their comms, then its down to the little bits of software they sneak in to do other nasty deeds.

Unfortunately Apple users done have the luxury of being able to use Firewalls, but they do have offline mode.

I have not used online mode for some considerable months now, I just don't see any reason why DJI have to harvest so much data ...... Of course they say its for our benefit...... form your own opinion.

Reactions: KiterTodd
Helpful tip for others that may be have/be using smaller 8 inch tablets

I have an off brand 8 inch Android table (Honor) I purchased a while back from one of those Chinese online shopping sites (have a few favs) that I like to use to fly my Mavic with and tried to use the Pilot Beta with. When i tried to "Activate Locate Data Mode" I was not able to because, like the android Phones, that check box at the bottom after entering the code was not visible for me. I tried a bunch of stuff but did not know it was there and did not know what i was missing.

After a while I figured there must be something there at the bottom that I was not seeing so I went looking for a way to make my screen show more - this is what I did (I have Android 6 - not sure what the setting are for other versions of Android). I went into the Android Setting --> Display --> View Mode and set it to "Small".

After the tablet reset brought the Pilot Beta app back up and was just able to see enough of the check boxes to select it (was a close thing - could not really make it out but kept clicking until boxes was marked).

That did it for me - now the app is in LDM! Maybe that will help others.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock