DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI's drone 'privacy mode' is now available

shiprex

Reactions
In August, DJI announced that it would be introducing Local Data Mode to its line of drones, a setting that would cut drones off from internet activity and stop information like flight location from being uploaded to the company's servers. Well that privacy mode is now available through a DJI Pilot app update for DJI CrystalSky monitors and some Android tablets. "We are creating Local Data Mode to address the needs of our enterprise customers, including public and private organizations that are using DJI technology to perform sensitive operations around the world," Brendan Schulman, DJI's VP of policy and legal affairs, said in a statement.

While the announcement of the new setting noted that it had been in the works for some time, it did come after the US Army stopped using DJI drones due to "increased awareness of cyber vulnerabilities." The Australian Defense Force also ceased use of DJI drones temporarily, but began using them again following a two week security assessment.

While in Local Data Mode, DJI drones won't be able to detect location, so information like flight restrictions or no fly zones won't be automatically adhered to. Therefore, any infringements will be on the user. To activate the privacy mode, click "Activate LDM Mode" in the DJI Pilot app. Local Data Mode isn't available yet for iOS or the DJI GO 4 app, but DJI told The Verge that it plans to incorporate it into those platforms in the future.

So are they effectively dropping all the restrictions they currently impose? Does "Won't be able to detect location" mean GPS and the features that depend on it won't be available? So many questions...

Man I haven't used the DJI Pilot app in forever. I didn't know they were still updating it honestly.

Just read the article and I wasn’t sure that I read it correctly about the pilot app, couldn’t find it in the App Store? I run the DJI Go4 app, lots of questions which is why I came here to see if anyone knew how to activate and the the general low down. Here’s the article I read.
DJI launches a privacy mode for its drones after US Army ban - The Verge
https://apple.news/AM3uzzwhZT4OiMqCEyVoFyghttps://apple.news/AM3uzzwhZT4OiMqCEyVoFyg

Last edited:
Reactions: charles leahy
I’m confused, so they aren’t making this a dji go4 feature and I couldn’t find the pilot in App Store and when I do a google search it doesn’t seem that the pilot app is even available?

Reactions: charles leahy
only android at the moment and it states beta
download is for 0.3.6 but it updates on first run
Half the size of go 4 app
Screenshot_20171002-212218.png

Its designed for crystalsky which is android so what makes you think that ios is their preferred?
DJI has always stated that iOS is their optimal platform; software releases prior to this work with all iOS products going back 5 years. Contrast this to Android, and you see hit and miss compatibility with Android versions/hardware. In fact the "purest" and most recent version of Android -- on Google's Pixel phone is completely unstable and (I'm told) crashes on almost every flight.

I use Android myself -- a Oneplus3 -- and it works fine. But nobody told me it would work, I just took a chance. And I was prepared to perhaps have a separate Apple phone just for the Mavic. Fortunately, I haven't needed to.

If Apple would license iOS, you can bet that CrystalSky would be running it.

Reactions: ElPocho
After reading the article I have more questions than answers.
What do they mean by "it won't transmit any telemetry data when in flight"? Since the data is stored does it mean after landing and getting a wifi signal it will still send the data?

I figure that it offers no real NFZ relief since these are already stored in the software and firmware but I assume you will have no more sudden request to update the databases while out on the field. Once your home that may change.

Just my assumptions based on the tiny bit of info provided.

Rob

doesn't transmit telemetry to the RC so even if someone hacks into the occusync they won't see where you or the drone is on a map which means the app also has no map

Reactions: lostinspace
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78