DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I buy a Mavic 2 Pro ??

The M2P is a great drone, some have no doubt put off buying one, waiting for the much speculated about M3. Only guesses at this point as to when that might be.

If you also want the excellent Smart Controller,* that sort of cements the deal, the the Air 2 was supposed to also work with Ocusync on the SC after a software update - - that hasn't happened either.

*I'd give it 5 stars for functionality and features, but with one downside which is the non-user replaceable batteries. IMO that was plain dumb.

The M2P is a great drone, some have no doubt put off buying one, waiting for the much speculated about M3. Only guesses at this point as to when that might be.

If you also want the excellent Smart Controller,* that sort of cements the deal, the the Air 2 was supposed to also work with Ocusync on the SC after a software update - - that hasn't happened either.

*I'd give it 5 stars for functionality and features, but with one downside which is the non-user replaceable batteries. IMO that was plain dumb.
I think the M3 would be very expensive if it is, as rumoured, a replacement for the Inspire 2.
I am going to order a M2P because I really don't like the look of the Fly app. I don't like that it doesn't have the battery slider at the top, I don't like the obstacle detection orange bars at the top and bottom etc, I don't like that you can't livestream. Much prefer Go4 app.

Would the Mavic 2 Pro be a good buy now even 2 years after release ? Was looking at the Mavic Air 2 but I don’t like what I’ve seen of the DJI Fly app. You can’t even livestream from it.
There are only a couple of real questions that you need to answer in the decision making process: 1) after reviewing the M2P documentation, will it do MORE than what I anticipate my needs/wants for a drone; 2) is there good support for the product in case I have questions or have a problem; and 3) can I afford it. If the answer is “yes” to all three questions is “yes” then “do the deal” and start flying, plain and simple.

Reactions: John_Howard3105
I own both drones. I own the MA2 for short period of time and here is my feedback.

Mavic 2 Pro:

Pros:
1- The camera is superior to the MA2 in quality. No noise, handle very well low light situations, you have control of everything with the camera as well.
2- Is faster. Not for much but is faster.

Negative:
1- Bigger drone, bulkier and expensive

Mavic Air 2

Pros:
1- 4K/60FPS is a plus recording videos, slow motion and zoom capable.
2- Battery last 3 minutes more over the Mavic 2 Pro
3- very compact design
4- The range is impressive without lag the video, very precise.
5- Offer more features for your money.
6- Very well constructed, feels solid but light.
7- SD card is easy to access compared to the M2P
8- Is a very fast drone. You can fly in sport mode without eat the battery quickly.
9- Very quiet
10- Remote control feels very well even when does not have display,
11- Landing LED can be turn on manually from the app.
12- Cost half of the price compared to M2P offering even more features

Negatives:
1- The camera produce too much noise in dark environments or cloudy day.
2- The app could be better
3- Not compatible yet with Smart Controller
4- Several reports from Batteries swelling or melting (i guess is a bad batch)
5- Batteries LED hard to see in sun light
6- The remote control does not have information screen
7- In paper says 48 Megapixels but honestly does not impress me at all. I like more the
quality of the 20 Megapixels from the M2P

Conclusion:

Both drones are amazing, the camera in one side from the M2P is superior but lack form zoom or slow motion recording. If you ask me what drone to recommend, i have to give the vote for the Mavic Air 2, for price, features and practicality.

If you can afford both drones, go for it because like me, i use each drone for different situations or scenarios. By the other side, i can not wait to see a Mavic 3 Pro.

I think the M3 would be very expensive if it is, as rumoured, a replacement for the Inspire 2.
I am going to order a M2P because I really don't like the look of the Fly app. I don't like that it doesn't have the battery slider at the top, I don't like the obstacle detection orange bars at the top and bottom etc, I don't like that you can't livestream. Much prefer Go4 app.

The main reason to go for the M2P is the stills quality and while it does have a few other advantages it's harder to recommend for the money outwith that.

It's difficult to know what's coming next since there's still no credible rumours on the Mavic 3 which suggests it's not that close, usually within a couple of months of release we start to see leaked shots of the drone and official certification but we still seem to be at the wild stage of rumours. I have a M2P as I value the 1in sensor for its wide dynamic range and always said if I lost it, I wouldn't hesitate to get another but thought if it was near the end of summer I'd wait for any proper Mavic 3 information.

It's a difficult question because you could be waiting months and lose out getting some great shots in the summer but on the other hand there could be a better drone around the corner.

Last edited:
Your list seems oddly disproportionate with a lot of detail for the MA2 but pretty much nothing for the M2P, many of the pro's for the Mavic Air 2 that the M2P also has are omitted, the MA2 doesn't have a physical zoom (it's just digital same as the M2P) and you've missed many of the advantages of the M2P such as the better controller with an inbuilt display (which strangely you list as a pro for the MA2 rather than a con), smart controller compatibility, works with DJI Go rather than the more basic Fly app, much better dynamic range and DJI goggles compatibility. It's a very strange way to summarise the two especially when you own an M2P.

I completely agree with you, as you notice i have almost no cons in M2P but yes i should highlight all the pros. But as you say is hard to justify double the price. Still M2P is my favorite drone.

I completely agree with you, as you notice i have almost no cons in M2P but yes i should highlight all the pros. But as you say is hard to justify double the price. Still M2P is my favorite drone.

Sorry, I deleted that reply because I felt it was being overly pedantic. I do feel there's a few more pro's and cons to the M2P though but I agree it's hard to justify double the price unless taking advantage of the 1in sensor for photos. The Mavic Air 2 has a nice balance of features since it offers occusync and better wind performance over the Mini but much cheaper than the Mavic 2 series.

Reactions: zeusfl
Its just the new kid of the block. will have much improvement.
For me the range is one of the most amazing improvements, it beats my Raptor XR and my Allientech 5.8 Boosted. Just stock.

Guys I really appreciate the feedback here.
There are many pros and cons for both M2P and MA2 but ultimately my thing is that I don’t want to use the Fly app. I had a MP a couple years ago so I’m familiar with GO4 app and much prefer it to the Fly app. I know the MA2 is amazing value for money but I’m happy to pay extra for the M2P. Also as silly as it may sound, I want to be able to livestream, I quite enjoyed that with the MP

I own both drones. I own the MA2 for short period of time and here is my feedback.

Mavic 2 Pro:

Pros:
1- The camera is superior to the MA2 in quality. No noise, handle very well low light situations, you have control of everything with the camera as well.
2- Is faster. Not for much but is faster.

Negative:
1- Bigger drone, bulkier and expensive

Mavic Air 2

Pros:
1- 4K/60FPS is a plus recording videos, slow motion and zoom capable.
2- Battery last 3 minutes more over the Mavic 2 Pro
3- very compact design
4- The range is impressive without lag the video, very precise.
5- Offer more features for your money.
6- Very well constructed, feels solid but light.
7- SD card is easy to access compared to the M2P
8- Is a very fast drone. You can fly in sport mode without eat the battery quickly.
9- Very quiet
10- Remote control feels very well even when does not have display,
11- Landing LED can be turn on manually from the app.
12- Cost half of the price compared to M2P offering even more features

Negatives:
1- The camera produce too much noise in dark environments or cloudy day.
2- The app could be better
3- Not compatible yet with Smart Controller
4- Several reports from Batteries swelling or melting (i guess is a bad batch)
5- Batteries LED hard to see in sun light
6- The remote control does not have information screen
7- In paper says 48 Megapixels but honestly does not impress me at all. I like more the
quality of the 20 Megapixels from the M2P

Conclusion:

Both drones are amazing, the camera in one side from the M2P is superior but lack form zoom or slow motion recording. If you ask me what drone to recommend, i have to give the vote for the Mavic Air 2, for price, features and practicality.

If you can afford both drones, go for it because like me, i use each drone for different situations or scenarios. By the other side, i can not wait to see a Mavic 3 Pro.
Zeusfl - Thank u for such an informative post. One question I’d love u to answer if u don’t mind. Is the Air 2 much quieter than the M2pro? That will ultimately determine which one I buy. Thank u in advance.

Zeusfl - Thank u for such an informative post. One question I’d love u to answer if u don’t mind. Is the Air 2 much quieter than the M2pro? That will ultimately determine which one I buy. Thank u in advance.

Yes, the Mavic Air 2 is more quiet. I will do a video to compare the tree drones for you,

Yes, the Mavic Air 2 is more quiet. I will do a video to compare the tree drones for you,
Thank you very much, but you don’t have to go to those lengths. Your word is enough for me. I had read that they were comparable, with the Air 2 being slightly quieter. But I’m coming from an original Phantom 4 which is quite loud so anything would be an improvement I assume.

I'd get the M2P now. There's always a better (fill-in-the-blank) waiting around the corner. Life is short, get busy living it fully RIGHT NOW.

I get free drones, so I'm gonna have both :) Can't wait for the 3. I'm a contract engineer and I have a client that motivates me with gifts.

Reactions: John_Howard3105
M2P or MA2 you will be happy with either one. Both are amazing drones. But if money is not problem, go for the M2P.

Guys I really appreciate the feedback here.
There are many pros and cons for both M2P and MA2 but ultimately my thing is that I don’t want to use the Fly app. I had a MP a couple years ago so I’m familiar with GO4 app and much prefer it to the Fly app. I know the MA2 is amazing value for money but I’m happy to pay extra for the M2P. Also as silly as it may sound, I want to be able to livestream, I quite enjoyed that with the MP

Is there any reason you didn't want to include the M2Z into your list? It will cost less (M2P), bridge the gap with Zoom function, give you go 4 (Streaming) and is really quite quiet with MAS props...I love mine with a SC :) I got mine 3 months ago, after dropping the MA2 pre-order...couple things didn't sit well with me it can't do that M2's can on my must haves. Just wondering?

And to follow up with thread, is it only the SC (Which I have) can turn on landing lights with a remote toggle? I just leave them on auto anyway. :oops:

And why is it DJI won't give us short press, long press double function on the back buttons like Litchi??? The SC has 6 programmable buttons for functions (7 with a firmware update supposedly, Button 11) I would love to have two more available on C1 & C2. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: LakeErieFlier
Is there any reason you didn't want to include the M2Z into your list? It will cost less (M2P), bridge the gap with Zoom function, give you go 4 (Streaming) and is really quite quiet with MAS props...I love mine with a SC :) I got mine 3 months ago, after dropping the MA2 pre-order...couple things didn't sit well with me it can't do that M2's can on my must haves. Just wondering?

And to follow up with thread, is it only the SC (Which I have) can turn on landing lights with a remote toggle? I just leave them on auto anyway. :oops:

And why is it DJI won't give us short press, long press double function on the back buttons like Litchi??? The SC has 6 programmable buttons for functions (7 with a firmware update supposedly) I would love to have two more available on C1 & C2. ;)

M2P can turn on lights. I have it programmed to one of the switches on the remote. Toggle on/off. Not sure if that was your question.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom