DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I don't I.

the reason for two of each as you put it,is because of safety ,it is normal practice in manned aviation ,it probably has to do with cost and space internally that they have changed from two to one, or it could be that the electronics have improved and are now more reliable

I'm with you. I've ordered, then cancelled 3 times now. I have a Pro 2 and Mini, I do not need another, yet...
There are several more 'negatives' that I keep considering once I have placed an order, no ADS-B and no certification. I'm currently takiing the A2 CofC and because of this I would like my next purchase to include ADS-B and CE drone certification catagory.

I cannot advisewhich you should get, what I can say is either is an improvement over the Mavic Air 1. Great drone but bloody loud.

Just to clarify, the Mavic Air (1) only has a single real compass. The redundancy is the "vision" compass using the sensors to estimate positioning. The Pro 2 also only has 1 compass.

As to dual IMUs - as I posted in another thread here, the redundancy of 2 has to be better than only 1, but the Phantom 1,2,3, spark, mini all only have a single IMU, so its not new to DJI. I would not be overly worried about it.

I did read in another thread, that @sar104 hasn't ever seen a back up IMU actually work in the event of a primary IMU failure.
I hope I read and understood his reply correctly, he may drop by and confirm.
Not sure how many crashes he's seen with an IMU failure in a M1P or M2.

If the money not a big issue definitely get the zoom. Fantastic drone. The zoom lens is extremely nice to have. The pro camera is really not a whole lot better the only way it’s better if you do a lot of editing.

I did read in another thread, that @sar104 hasn't ever seen a back up IMU actually work in the event of a primary IMU failure.
I hope I read and understood his reply correctly, he may drop by and confirm.
Not sure how many crashes he's seen with an IMU failure in a M1P or M2.

That's correct - I don't recall that happening, but of course if it happened successfully and the aircraft didn't crash then it might not even be noticed, let alone posted here. I have seen cases where the primary IMU went south and the FC didn't switch to the backup, even though that was working fine.

@BudWalker may know of some other examples.

I've seen flights where a switch from one IMU to the other was made. But, it wasn't clear why the switch was made.

I've seen flights where a switch from one IMU to the other was made. But, it wasn't clear why the switch was made.
How are things in AG? I used to live there when I worked for Loomix.

Reactions: Peterson
How are things in AG? I used to live there when I worked for Loomix.
Windy at the moment. We've been here for 18 months. Used to be located 9 miles east of Santa Margarita.

I feel exactly the same. I sold my Mavic Air a few days ago when I saw the Mavic air 2 came out. I live in UK. I feel a bit short changed. We don’t have that new system To detect planes and then it only has one IMU. It’s a brand new drone surely any problems will be found out in the first few month then there will be an update so do I sit out for a bit Or do I spend the extra get the 2 Pro and have no headaches :/. In peoples experience do people think the Mavic 2 Pro price will drop now or stay the same. One of the reason I’m worried about the IMU is that I live on an island and often fly over water so want the drone as safe as possible thanks for you help

Reactions: marksavill
I'm taking my A2CofC when lockdown is all over. So, for me - none of the drones on the market are currently worth buying as they don't/won't comply with the EASA regs. So, I'm sticking with what I have as they'll be perfectly useable until 2022, by which time there should be plenty of options for EASA C Class drones available.

Reactions: marksavill
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hidnflagn