DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2. Even if you are not using your Android device to fly turn off Google Assistant or at least don't use it. I lost control of my Mavic 2 on four occasions after initiating Google Assistant it was very dangerous. Dated Thursday 21st March 2019. Please wait for software upgrade for your Mavic 2.
I have informed DJI and sent them the video.
When I said, “I did say the word.” It was the Google Assistant initiation phrase. “Ok Google.”
This does not occur when flying a Phantom 4 Pro V2, I have used it many times.

Last edited:
If your Android device is capable of running Google Assistant, you could be pulling the trigger on someone.

On some Android devices it is almost impossible to disable Google Assistant. I have a Samsung Galaxy 9+ running Android 8 Oreo. No matter what I do, and I have been searching for a whole day I can not disable it.
I go through all the procedures and it says off, but it still runs.
The only thing you can do is turn your phone off. Because if you momentarily forget and say “Ok Google” your Mavic 2 could cause real harm to people. Really you could lose complete control while it spins like crazy and climes to dangerous heights.

I agree it makes no sense at all. But I tell you on both of the last of the 4 occasions, as soon as I said "Ok Google" off it went. The best I can think of is that as Google Assistant "GA" starts it interferes with the go app software. Maybe GA takes over part of the allocated RAM that is occupied by the go app on the Mavic 2. If this is so the RTH function could be in a part of RAM that is protected from all other allocated memory, for safety.
Someone somewhere must have used GA while flying a Mavic 2. This never happened with me while flying a Mavic Pro, Mavic Air or Phantom 4 Pro.
Whatever the case I will not be experimenting again with GA while flying the Mavic 2.
I have flown the Mavic 2 since with my 9+ switched off. Three batteries so a bit over an hour and no problems at all.

I agree it makes no sense at all. But I tell you on both of the last of the 4 occasions, as soon as I said "Ok Google" off it went. The best I can think of is that as Google Assistant "GA" starts it interferes with the go app software. Maybe GA takes over part of the allocated RAM that is occupied by the go app on the Mavic 2. If this is so the RTH function could be in a part of RAM that is protected from all other allocated memory, for safety.
Someone somewhere must have used GA while flying a Mavic 2. This never happened with me while flying a Mavic Pro, Mavic Air or Phantom 4 Pro.
Whatever the case I will not be experimenting again with GA while flying the Mavic 2.
I have flown the Mavic 2 since with my 9+ switched off. Three batteries so a bit over an hour and no problems at all.

i am looking at flashing lineage os to get rid of google and the flashing usb problem on my samsung tablet 8" s-2 going with a differant os might help if you are techy enough to do it and un do it. could brick on you to so there is that. i havent been flying enough latley but every time i do i threaten to do this,, so just a matter of time!

Very strange issue.
I’m wondering if the flight log gurus here might find something in your logs that may help decipher this issue @sar104
@Meta4

I would also advise that you should have all of your settings (like screen brightness) set and ready for flight before you start your motors. Not ideal to be setting up for flight whilst in flight

Reactions: tleedom
DJI got back to me, asked some questions, said they were grateful for the alert and sent it to some section to look into. So hopefully we will get a software upgrade to address the issue.
I have got so used to using GA many times a day for a multitude of things, it's hard to not use it. Until then I will just turn my phone off when flying the Mavic 2.
I hope no one is tempted to try it though, not worth the risk.

Sorry but I find it hard to imagine that saying OK Google would cause your aircraft to go crazy. Seems to me there is some other reason. Don't mean to be rude, just being honest.

I am so tempted to say try it. But I won't, because I know what will probably happen. Be safe and wait for a software update on your Mavic 2. I think Google Assistant is initiated with "Ok Google" or "Hey Google."
They told me not to do it in an email
3月29日 21:27 CST

Only the higher end phones can use GA

While all the phones with Google Assistant are too many to list, here are the flagship handsets that currently support Assistant:
  • Google Pixel.
  • Google Pixel XL.
  • Samsung Galaxy S8.
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus.
  • HTC U Ultra.
  • HTC U11.
  • LG G6.
    Link
But I agree it is hard to imagine. Watch the video and stay safe.

Siri is a completely different AI, I don't use it so I have no idea what it will do. I know what GA does when you are using the DJI GO 4 app for Android does. DJI have my logs.

I feel uneasy doing so having given them to DJI. Let's just leave it at that.
The important thing is it's dangerous to try it and it's best not to until a DJI GO 4 update.

You mentioned even if you aren't using the Android to fly. By that I assume you mean the phone not connected to the RC.
It is impossible for the phone to do anything to the AC when it is not connected to the RC by way of a USB cable.
An exception is the older models that can be flown by Wi-Fi but there's a switch on the AC to enable this.

Since his video seems to show it RTH to another location, sounds like the home point is altered to AC's present location.

Recovery in this case: reset home point to RC's position, which is really the position the mobile device reports is the device's position.
Pause should stop the AC in its tracks and hover.

Altitude should never be affected though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS