DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not fly any drone in Key West

The description box is referring to the shaded area which, as mentioned above, is a UAS-restricted area by FAA agreement. It's not the Class D airspace and altitude grid, although it does note that it is in Class D airspace.

If this were just Class D then a hobbyist could call the airport (if within 5 miles) and fly, but there is no mechanism for a hobbyist to fly in a security NFZ.

Got it so what you were talking about is just the shaded red areas here:70550

DJI Geozones is calling these “military zones.” So besides these zones the normal rules are in effect and the OP could have flown in Key West (except in the red shaded areas above) if he had called the airport to notify local LE really don’t have any recourse to stop him because, according to city ordinance, it’s allowed as long as adhering to FAA regulations. Correct?

It really does not matter what any ordinance, rule or statement. When a police officer said you cannot do that. YOU CAN NOT DO IT. It will not be worth the headache

It’s true but if you come equipped with the right information you can politely and respectfully demonstrate that you are following the rules. You can also complain after complying with the order so that it doesn’t happen again. LE can’t make up stuff as they go.

And then the officer will take you politely to the station and ruin your vacation until you get all straightened out in 4 or 5 hours.

Reactions: Springmeyer
And then the officer will take you politely to the station and ruin your vacation until you get all straightened out in 4 or 5 hours.

I’m saying you comply with the order to stop flying if the supplied information doesn’t sway the officer. If they still arrest you then they were always gonna do that.

But afterwards you can file a complaint with the precinct, and the FAA, Nothing worse then a cop who thinks he makes the rules. I tend to think 4-5 hours just to see the look on the cops face as you stroll out is worth it but that’s just me

So they found out your doing nothing wrong , let you go and that was that. so why are you posting here warning us? If we do nothing wrong we have nothing to worry about.
Sorry [Moderator Removed] just acting like Barney Fife........... they don’t want you to hurt the water

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JakeRobinson
First of all I apologize on behalf of myself and everyone else that thought you didn’t know what you were talking about, looks like you stumbled on a very complicated area.

However, I couldn’t find any “no drone policy” for the City of Key West. I did however find the Key West city ordinance for UAVs Municode Library

ARTICLE VI. - UNMANNED AIRCRAFT
  • Sec. 26-300. - Purpose and intent.
    It is the purpose of this article to provide the residents and visitors of the City of Key West protection from invasions of privacy, and reckless operation over crowded areas, due to the rapid implementation of drone technology being put into use by individuals and business entities. The unregulated use of drones also poses a significant public safety concern to individuals and property on the ground and other nearby aircraft in the event of malfunction, operator negligence, loss of control, or other inability to sustain flight as intended. Nothing in this ordinance is intended to prevent, prohibit, or regulate any type of drone or remote controlled model aircraft that are otherwise permitted by the FAA for recreational use, or any operator who lawfully possesses a Certificate of Authorization or Letter of Exemption issued by the FAA.
    (Ord. No. 16-02, § 1, 2-17-2016)
  • Sec. 26-301. - Definitions.
    The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this article, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
    Drone means any powered, aerial vehicle, that is either fixed wing or rotor-operated, that does not carry a human being, which uses aerodynamic forces to provide the vehicle with lift, that can fly autonomously or be piloted remotely, and that can be expendable or recoverable.
  • Sec. 26-302. - Prohibitions.
    No person may operate a drone, whether or not it has the capability of capturing or transmitting audio, video, or still images within or over the City of Key West, unless the drone operator possesses either a certificate of authorization, a letter of exemption lawfully issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, or unless the operator is using a drone strictly for recreational purposes pursuant to the Federal Aviation Administration Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft cited as 14 CFR Part 91 and attached as Exhibit A.
  • Sec. 26-303. - Penalty.
    There shall be one verbal or written warning for any first time offender of this article provided that compliance is immediately achieved. Subsequent violations of this article shall be punished consistent with section 1-15 of the Code of Ordinances for the City of Key West.
So looks like wherever you read that didn’t understand what they were talking about. Now you might have still needed a FAA waiver(waiting to hear back on that) but sounds like you might have even had one.

Do you have that still can you post a picture of it please?
Great research, not necessarily going to key west any time soon but really appreciate the info. Probably my biggest set back from flying my M2P around is Im always a little intimidated to take off somewhere and get harassed ? Knowledge is power, anyway appreciate your input

Reactions: brett8883
The op stated the police as saying they did not care what he had. Part 107 basically allows you to fly commercially. It isn’t some magic card that you can wave and the police will then beg for your forgiveness and let you do as you please. Just my opinion, but I think many people are under the impression that with a part 107 certificate you can fly wherever and when ever you want. If you’re on a job (which the op clearly was not) then you had better have all the permits and authorization required to fly in that area at that time. If you’re not on a job then you’re just a recreational flyer regardless of what certifications you have.

Reactions: BigAl07
The op stated the police as saying they did not care what he had. Part 107 basically allows you to fly commercially. It isn’t some magic card that you can wave and the police will then beg for your forgiveness and let you do as you please. Just my opinion, but I think many people are under the impression that with a part 107 certificate you can fly wherever and when ever you want. If you’re on a job (which the op clearly was not) then you had better have all the permits and authorization required to fly in that area at that time. If you’re not on a job then you’re just a recreational flyer regardless of what certifications you have.

One clarification - you don't need to be flying commercially to fly under Part 107 - that's the overarching sUAS law and you can fly under it for any purpose, including recreational. However, the OP confirmed that he is not Part 107 anyway.

I think OP has learned two points with his post. Point one how to get attention. Point two, get your facts in order and be prepared to post your flight data. That is unbiased facts that will quickly provide the data to backup or disprove his statement. I put my props on we will never see the flight data.

I’m not sure the cop knew what he was talking about in re to drone laws in Key West. One extra thing to do is to check the city, Monroe Co., and Florida state codes for additional UAV laws, as there may be additional ones on the books you have to comply with.

As a general recommendation, if you do fly out there, get an ATC clearance from KEYW, restrict operations to Part 107 on the western side of the key and remain clear of NAS Key West’s airspace and the restricted areas to the east of the key. There is quite a bit of military jet activity in those areas.

As a side note, get yourself a proper VFR sectional chart as opposed to these ( Mod Removed )drone apps. They are a lot more useful

Attachments

• D0A7A5C6-39B3-4413-A699-B88E45E87AC0.png
    D0A7A5C6-39B3-4413-A699-B88E45E87AC0.png
    3 MB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07

Other way around. If you aren’t flying recreationally then you need to be flying under 107.

I’m not sure the cop knew what he was talking about in re to drone laws in Key West. One extra thing to do is to check the city, Monroe Co., and Florida state codes for additional UAV laws, as there may be additional ones on the books you have to comply with.

As a general recommendation, if you do fly out there, get an ATC clearance from KEYW, restrict operations to Part 107 on the western side of the key and remain clear of NAS Key West’s airspace and the restricted areas to the east of the key. There is quite a bit of military jet activity in those areas.

As a side note, get yourself a proper VFR sectional chart as opposed to these ( Mod Removed ) drone apps. They are a lot more useful
Ok I get it but why can’t the FAA make a version that’s easier to read with a legend or even an interactive version that allows you to click on something to get an explanation of what it is and what it means? It almost feels intentionally difficult to decipher. We live in this technological age where we have the capability to do this and you’d think the FAA, charged with the safety of the National Airspace, would be motivated to make these so it doesn’t require a great deal of knowledge just to read and understand.

If we want the skies to safer, you’d think relaying the information so anybody can understand them would be paramount.

Ok I get it but why can’t the FAA make a version that’s easier to read with a legend or even an interactive version that allows you to click on something to get an explanation of what it is and what it means? It almost feels intentionally difficult to decipher. We live in this technological age where we have the capability to do this and you’d think the FAA, charged with the safety of the National Airspace, would be motivated to make these so it doesn’t require a great deal of knowledge just to read and understand.

If we want the skies to safer, you’d think relaying the information so anybody can understand them would be paramount.

Get ForeFlight for your iPhone or iPad. Or read the inserts on the chart, same as you would on any paper map.

Last edited:
Reactions: brett8883

He stated- "..below 150 feet 4 miles from the airport was no good and they did not care what I had ." Key West has a Naval Station + civilian airport so nothing on that small *** island is going to be 5 miles from any point, if I recall. But from what the LEO stated it sounds more like a rookie cop with a big chest trying to be pushy in his new uniform. "They didn't care what I had" oh really?!?! Get his badge number

He stated- "..below 150 feet 4 miles from the airport was no good and they did not care what I had ." Key West has a Naval Station + civilian airport so nothing on that small *** island is going to be 5 miles from any point, if I recall. But from what the LEO stated it sounds more like a rookie cop with a big chest trying to be pushy in his new uniform. "They didn't care what I had" oh really?!?! Get his badge number

We are still confused if that’s a waiver restriction or a misunderstanding of the 336 rules and limitations.

@Stevenfair id still really like to see the “permit” you had and it would really shed some light on this situation. You can just cover up the parts with your information on it. That would be really helpful here

Again, here, while all you need is an ATC clearance to satisfy the FAA and federal law to operate on the key per Part 101 or 107, there may be local, county, or state laws which prohibit the use of UAS in certain areas. That's the only extra recourse I could recommend here. After that, the cop's contention is baseless.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB