DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not fly any drone in Key West

I don't think you would say that if you knew anything about FAA Compliance Philosophy. A drone is first and foremost an aircraft - the fact that it may also be a camera platform is irrelevant in regard to airspace regulations.

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/2016/media/SE_Topic_16-10.pdf

Pete, I agree that is the way it is, but certainly not the way it should be. Just because a government agency makes up rules and regulations doesn’t make them right or needed. Also I think you have it backwards. A Mavic or Phantom is a camera platform first and foremost and it’s irrelevant that it’s classified as an aircraft in regards to airspace regulations.
Model RC planes and helicopters along with kites and balloons have been around for a long time. Technically they are aircraft. They’ve never had regulations in the past, but for the model RC hobbyists they do now.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think all these regulations are ridiculous and unnecessary. But then again maybe we should start checking a child’s certifications before handing them a balloon or a kite.

Just because a government agency makes up rules and regulations doesn’t make them right or needed.

It does not matter one iota what be believe - we're living in the real world so we just have to suck it up! Don't be one of those guys who wants to make up his own rules - you will only end up being a big loser.

A Mavic or Phantom is a camera platform first and foremost and it’s irrelevant that it’s classified as an aircraft in regards to airspace regulations.

But the thing still FLIES, right? So that is precisely why the FAA and all other airspace regulators are involved. SIMPLE !!

I think the next step for you is to buy your own island, declare it to be an independent Country, and then crown yourself King.

Wow. The story and "opinion" changes with every post. Once proven wrong you just move on to another issue to pick on.

Again making assumptions with no basis in truth. For your information I am indeed a licensed pilot for fixed wing aircraft. So not only can I consider myself a pilot but I am in fact a pilot. That gives me the perspective from that side as well. Pilots have very busy workloads in the cockpit, especially at takeoff and landing. They surely do not need to start worrying about drones on final approach getting sucked into an engine or hitting the windscreen. It is people like you who feel you can just fly a drone wherever you like that can and will cause issues.

Again wow. If that were true then there would never be a case of someone crashing a drone, losing a drone, or even having to ask others for help. These forums are the perfect example to prove you wrong.

Really? So in your mind the only purpose for a drone is to take pictures and video? If you are not trained in doing so then there is no point in owning one? How about power line inspections, land and roof mapping, search and rescue, product delivery, and countless other uses that do not require the skills of a professional photographer/videographer?

Again just making stuff up as you go along. Nothing in my statement was egotistical. Just a statement of fact that if you put the time and effort in to learn about the NAS, weather, and proper flying techniques, you will be a better pilot than someone who has no training. In your mind putting in the time and effort to learn about photography makes you a better photographer, but the same does not apply to flying a drone. Very interesting.

Well in fact I did, since I already had my pilot's license before ever buying a drone. I did not have my Part 107 license but I had all the requisite knowledge since flying an airplane requires that knowledge. However, I still did not just unpack a Phantom and start flying around the neighborhood. I had the mental acuity to realize that I needed to learn more. I first bought a "toy drone" and flew it exclusively in the house to get the feel for a quad copter. I then read a lot and watched a lot of videos before ever purchasing my first DJI drone. I read the Phantom 3 Pro (my first drone) manual cover to cover many times before ever powering it on. When I did take that first flight, I felt comfortable knowing that I was doing it in a safe fashion.
You know what that got me? That got me to the point of never once crashing or losing a drone. Never once getting into trouble with the FAA, neighbors, police, or anyone else.

Again your one-dimensional view of what a drone is good for. They can do so much more than just take pictures and video.

First of all it's "waving" and not "waiving". I have no allusions of being a master photographer and I never said I was. So you can be proud of your photography skills and others can be proud of their drone skills (whatever they may be). Of course in your world, the rest of us "non-photographers" have no skills to be proud of. Who has the ego now? Hmmmmm

I think you have enough of an ego to surpass all of us here. You are the master photographer. Drones are good for nothing else. The rest of us "non-pilots" have no skills worth mentioning and we have no reason to be flying a drone at all. Oh yes, you are always right and no other opinions matter. Sure, I'm the one with the ego. You can keep thinking that.

And now we sink to attacking the person and not the issue. I don’t know how many times I stated this was “JUST MY OPINION”, but since it’s different from yours it must be attacked. In contrast to you I never mentioned my skills. In fact I suck at photography and taking videos, but I have fun trying.

I imagine you must have really big mirrors in your home. Try deflating your chest a little, relax, and not take life so serious.

• Haha
Reactions: PhantomFandom
Can this discussion be done already? Seems like we’ve crossed into ‘private message’ territory. We’ve all stated our positions, and it’s clear none of us are moving to the others’ side.

Nothing’s getting accomplished, and still no one has tried to fly KW since this discussion started. :)

Can this discussion be done already? Seems like we’ve crossed into ‘private message’ territory. We’ve all stated our positions, and it’s clear none of us are moving to the others’ side.

Nothing’s getting accomplished, and still no one has tried to fly KW since this discussion started. :)

Thank you! ? Truth be told, I don’t always know when to shut up.

Reactions: sar104 and Order66
I agree with you in some sense about the lack of need for some of the rules but on the other hand it goes both ways.

Because the FAA considers UAVs to be aircraft it allows us to fly practically anywhere not in spite of (relatively speaking) with the rules being fairly standardized from place to place (some exceptions obviously.)

If it wasn’t that way every locality could have their own rules and enforcement which would make it much more difficult to follow the rules.

Because the FAA has taken charge of them in the situation where someone tells you to stop flying you can politely tell them “I have fulfilled all the necessary FAA requirements to fly here. If you’d like to complain here’s my FAA# and you are welcome to contact the FAA but I’m not doing anything wrong. Have a nice day!”
After which you get a court date or post bail most likely.

Reactions: Paulf10
I’m not talking about police. Obey LE commands. I’m talking about civilians

The other side of the coin (and it's been mentioned elsewhere on this forum) is that the civilians who you choose to "educate" are likely to go out of their way to lobby their local politicians in an effort to have drone flying activities even more heavily restricted than they are at present.

A better course of action may be to say "Yes Sir, No Sir" and come back another day, especially at the moment whilst the FAA is finalising its UAS Regulations related proposal before being voted on and then passed into law. Just sayin'.

The other side of the coin (and it's been mentioned elsewhere on this forum) is that the civilians who you choose to "educate" are likely to go out of their way to lobby their local politicians in an effort to have drone flying activities even more heavily restricted than they are at present.

A better course of action may be to say "Yes Sir, No Sir" and come back another day, especially at the moment whilst the FAA is finalising its UAS Regulations related proposal before being voted on and then passed into law. Just sayin'.
Pete if I took that advice I’d never be able to do anything. People here aren’t nice here like they are in Australia. If you give em an inch they’ll want your house and first born child.

Not meaning to take beef out here. But scared me. I fly million dollar aircraft and am a stickler for the rules because they keep us safe but.....

Key West PD has had their moments like any other PD. But this makes. No sense. The airspace down by KEYW or KNDZ is run by key west approach control most of the time. Even though eyw and ndz are 2 class Delta’s separated by the bridge / water way into key west from boca (Navy Base) . So with notifications to both towers as they are like roughly 2 miles apart a call to key west approach should not be required.
Now the rule of flying over a military base will get you as the Navy, Coast Guard and Army have areas there. But if you were flying on the beach side over water you should have been ok.

Need more info on this one as stated by others. But what do I know I was only an Air Traffic Controller Stationed in Key West and not 107 Certed YET

I was flying from just behind the aquarium toward sunset key over the water at 7:30 in the morning. I only done video early in the morning not to bother people on vacation. I only went as far and the boats that were tied up out in the water off of wisteria island and never about 75 feet

C’mon, man. Still illegal if you didn’t have authorization. You can mitigate it with whatever reasoning you like, but it’s a 0 ft area, no-fly without permission. 71036

Everything around KW is a no go. I am going down in June to the Keys and wanted to do a commercial shoot from Miami all the way down to KW and it has been a pain in the rear trying to get any permits between NPS, NAS and FAA. I finally gave up and decided to just fly in spaces I didn't need a waiver and then the rest I am going to do from the ground.

@brett8883 -
Per FAA UAS you can't fly anywhere in KeyWest due it being restricted airspace and this came right from Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Customer support.

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

Drones and other unmanned aircraft are not allowed to fly anywhere in Key West. This includes model airplanes, quadcopters, etc.
It does not get any more black and white then that lads and drone pilots.....

@brett8883 -
Per FAA UAS you can't fly anywhere in KeyWest due it being restricted airspace and this came right from Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Customer support.

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

Drones and other unmanned aircraft are not allowed to fly anywhere in Key West. This includes model airplanes, quadcopters, etc.
It does not get any more black and white then that lads and drone pilots.....

Are you quite sure they told you that? Because it's certainly black and white, but it's also wrong. The entire area is controlled airspace (surface Class D):

and it has three DoD UAS restricted areas (red) that don't even remotely cover all of Key West, Boca Chica, Trumbo Point and Truman Annex:

To fly inside the restricted areas would require authorization from the DoD facilities. To fly Part 107 outside the restricted areas would require FAA authorization. To fly recreationally outside the restricted areas would require notification to the airports. Flight operations would also need to be in compliance with any local ordinances that might restrict take off or landing.

Reactions: FLPilotshark
Hefty fines if you get caught. Some of these Drone pilots just think that they know it all and can fly anywhere.

FYI, YOU CANT FLY ANYWHERE IN KEY WEST FL

Right out of the Key West city ordinances:

Sec. 26-302. - Prohibitions.

No person may operate a drone, whether or not it has the capability of capturing or transmitting audio, video, or still images within or over the City of Key West, unless the drone operator possesses either a certificate of authorization, a letter of exemption lawfully issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, or unless the operator is using a drone strictly for recreational purposes pursuant to the Federal Aviation Administration Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft cited as 14 CFR Part 91 and attached as Exhibit A.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom