DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do Sea Gulls really hate drones ?

Seagulls are federally protected & I have read they are "endangered" which is hogwash (maybe a certain species is endangered). Personally after seeing what their do-do does to my car's finish, I would personally use them for 'skeet' practice as often as I could. They are nasty birds of which we would be happier with a smaller population of! Living in AZ, I no longer have to put up with their po-po & other nasty habits... IMHO...

Maybe so?
Seagulls were Trained to Defecate on German U-Boat Periscopes:
Admiral Sir Frederick Inglefield conceived of the idea of training seagulls to defecate on U-Boat periscopes, thus rendering the subs unable to see without rising to the surface, where they could be more easily spotted and attacked.
Couldn't they just lower the periscope below water and let the saltwater wash off the debris?

Seagulls are federally protected & I have read they are "endangered" which is hogwash (maybe a certain species is endangered). Personally after seeing what their do-do does to my car's finish, I would personally use them for 'skeet' practice as often as I could. They are nasty birds of which we would be happier with a smaller population of! Living in AZ, I no longer have to put up with their po-po & other nasty habits... IMHO...
I don't really know about seagulls but suspect that they are not protected as endangered as opposed to possibly migratory. I believe pelicans, maybe only brown pelicans are protected?

But you can practice on my squirrels!

Reactions: Drgnfli
I’ve seen some videos of gulls harassing an Alta 8 on ThePatWeir’s Instagram Page. There is something to it.

I had some kind of raptor get really aggressive with my Mavic 2 Pro. I sent it straight up once and this thing appeared out of nowhere and went into stoop towards my drone. I had to fly evasively in Sport Mode to get away after it pursued.

Very dangerous in nesting season, I use a spotter to warn when one starts to get too close, they don't seem to attack before doing a few close passes so you get a chance to get away but they can be persistant.

Very dangerous in nesting season, I use a spotter to warn when one starts to get too close, they don't seem to attack before doing a few close passes so you get a chance to get away but they can be persistant.
I think that depends on the region. Yes, as I described, Japanese seagulls look aggressiv, they are flying sometimes fake attacks (or are they only courious?) but they never made real attacks to my birds regardless of the saison. But they are nice to photograph...

I've had Marsh and Red-tailed hawks circle me but never get all that close. I am well inland so not many sea birds around unless we are ploughing the fields...

Here in Portugal they are a bloody menace.

I was quite curious and anxious about my last flights in Portugal at the coast around Lisbon.
But it was fine with the M2P basic colour, all birds, including gulls, stayed away - presumably by the noise. That said, I however avoided larger crowds of the feathered friends.

Ahh, my biggest fear of flying my drone further than 1k-2k ft is crashing into a bird and losing my drone lmaoo, it's like a mental block that I'll never overcome.

I was quite curious and anxious about my last flights in Portugal at the coast around Lisbon.
But it was fine with the M2P basic colour, all birds, including gulls, stayed away - presumably by the noise. That said, I however avoided larger crowds of the feathered friends.

I think they breed the buggers differently up here in Porto. The gulls around here are fearless; when its nesting season they are very aggressive even attacking people and dogs in the parks by dive bombing and crapping. If you find a quiet area and start flying it will only take a couple of minutes before you get mobbed by them.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom