DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do the smaller drones get attacked by birds more then the phantom series?

My advice, don't tempt fate, if you see birds that might attack or harass your drone, leave the area. The Birds were there first and they OWN the sky.

If you see a bird that is suddenly taking an undue interest in your drone, quickly fly UP… and then skedaddle out of the area.

Birds attack by "swooping" down onto their intended target. They attack with their feet, seagulls have webbed feet… while raptors--eagle, hawks, falcons, etc… use their talons… Seagulls do not consider a Drone a meal so it's not going to bite the drone but just smack it as they fly over it… The Raptor might try to grab the drone but more likely just smack it on it top.

I do not know how one might guestimate the likelihood of a bird attack on a large or smaller drone. It would seems that if the bird consider the drone a threat, it would more likely consider the larger one a threat. I've never seen a large bird chasing off a smaller bird, but plenty of small birds chasing off larger birds…

turf.gif

i applied a orange reflective 1inch wide tape to the top of the drone down the center line ,and when i tried to fly it i was unable to get more that a couple of Sats locked no matter how long i left it ,i thought what could be wrong, as i had flown at the same spot the day before without a problem

Possibly the holographic tapes have a similar reflective layer as orange reflective material.
I guess one could possibly apply the bird scaring silver-ish holographic tape, as the type per my link above post #17, to arms and other non sensitive spots, if it turns out it can affect things above a GPS module location.
Not sure it'd be a problems for a compass, but similar testing could be required.

Geese, pigeons, magpies, hawks or eagles will take your drone down no matter if it's a Mavic or a Phantom... either due to that you by accident scares a flock of birds up or that they are territorial & see your drone as a threat, any kind of color, reflective surface or "angry eye" sticker will not change that.

The only thing that will make any difference is if you don't fly in their airspace... & if you get surprised by them, ascend quickly & then steer off to get away... then fly home & land.
I fly my Mini 2 in the Sonoran Desert where aggressive hawks & curious ravens abound. I always fly with two strobes flashing. 88 desert flights & no bird attacks yet!

I've had some close encounters but the birds have always backed off. I assume that the drone noise startles a bird when it gets close enough

crows are the most aggressive
Crows have made contact with my drone. A single crow will follow close, but once they gather they seem to be emboldened and will attack. Hummingbirds will come so close - I worry about landing and finding bee parts as well as Hummingbird parts on the drone, but so far none have made contact, but man they get so close!

Reactions: LoudThunder
Most states have a registry of known Eagle nest locations. You might check for one in your area. Eagles can spot a small rodent up to 3 miles away so their vision is excellent. If you find there is an Eagle nest within say 2-3 miles, I would be leery of flying. I have a friend that runs a rehab for raptors. He once took his drone over a mile from a nest thinking that would be safe. The Eagles had new Eaglet's and wasted no time protecting them by attacking and crushing his drone over a mile away.
I also take photos of Bald Eagles about an hour from here. And as temping as it may be I will not fly anywhere within a 3 mile radius of their nests. Not about to chance loosing an M3.
Just food for thought.

I have a Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro and these drones do attract hummingbirds. They check it out when I’m establishing my home point 20’ above me. I do have a couple of feeders hanging off my house and I know they’re nesting in nearby trees. They have never attacked my drones…they’re only checking the drone out and then they’re gone. Also, I do not hover more than a minute to avoid being a nuisance. I feel they’re use to this new bird…now down to a fly by if anything.

Other birds of concern are the many bald eagles in my area. You can’t miss their huge nests…so, I just keep a vigilant eye out for them. They seem good so far, but, I would stay clear during the nesting time.

The Snow Geese are heading home now and as far as blanketing the whole sky they were not aggressive…just an obstacle to be careful up there.

We all have to respect these birds and their space. Not to be a nuisance.

🇨🇦👍

I live under a gull 'flight path', timing varies with the tide.
I do not remember them getting interested with a P3 but I have seen the odd one detour as if to 'have a look' at a 'Mini'.
Elsewhere I'd be inclined to send it up to get away from them but here it is often when I have been more or less overhead and coming in for a landing so I have actually sent the drone slightly towards them. My recollection is that this puts them off and they revert to their original course.
I would not be inclined to try this if I was in their territory i.e. feeding or nesting grounds, there I'd "get out of Dodge" as quick as possible.

I have a Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro and these drones do attract hummingbirds. They check it out when I’m establishing my home point 20’ above me. I do have a couple of feeders hanging off my house and I know they’re nesting in nearby trees. They have never attacked my drones…they’re only checking the drone out and then they’re gone. Also, I do not hover more than a minute to avoid being a nuisance. I feel they’re use to this new bird…now down to a fly by if anything.

Other birds of concern are the many bald eagles in my area. You can’t miss their huge nests…so, I just keep a vigilant eye out for them. They seem good so far, but, I would stay clear during the nesting time.

The Snow Geese are heading home now and as far as blanketing the whole sky they were not aggressive…just an obstacle to be careful up there.

We all have to respect these birds and their space. Not to be a nuisance.

🇨🇦👍
I have a half acre landscaped with lots of nectar producing flowers to support both my neighbor's 7 beehives (he keeps me supplied with honey and fresh eggs) and the Anna's Hummingbirds that live year round in my yard. We keep heated feeders up all winter for them.
In late Feb/early March their curiosity turns to aggressive territorial protection, and the males will follow the Mini's until they (the birds) are no longer visible. In April the Rufous Hummingbirds show up and start looking for nesting areas and the whole killer hummingbird scenario repeats. I fly from my front yard during these weeks of breeding aggression.
But living in the Puget Sound area it is nearly impossible to fly in any bird free zones. Crows are abundant everywhere, as well as Bald Eagles which are truly Urban birds here in the Puget Sound. I see them daily in my own backyard and they nest throughout the area. Great Blue Herons are everywhere as well, and near the Sound are all the water fowl to deal with.
I'm hoping to make it north to Skagit Valley this weekend - the fields are white with migrating Snow Geese and both Tundra and Trumpeter Swans. Always a sight to see. The drone stays home.

Yep, based on my 500+ hours of flight time, I'd say smaller drones like the Mini 2 get harassed more frequently by birds than bigger drones like the Air2S/Mavic 3.

If you usually fly in the same area, you'll reach the point that no bird around will care about the drone anymore. Birds in my area can't care less about my drones, and I have lots of them living in my terrain. 🙂

Last edited:
My Mini 2 attracts many crows and ravens when I fly, some try to knock it down.

From flying a Phantom drones for 7 years, I have a good idea of the frequencies of bird attacks. Having just gotten a mini 3 pro, I was wondering about birds attacking it since it is much smaller. I may put some reflective tape on it since it scares away birds.
My mini 3 gets harassed by seagulls all the time. The trick is to quickly gain altitude and turn the tide around by chasing them. It shows them who's the boss somehow, at least it's the quickest way to deal with them.

My mini 3 gets harassed by seagulls all the time. The trick is to quickly gain altitude and turn the tide around by chasing them. It shows them who's the boss somehow, at least it's the quickest way to deal with them.
While I like the idea, for some reason, gulls are protected here and some karen will likely call in on you.

I think that's the same thing I wrote. Lol.

Just found out the pigeons in the yard at work here are quite interested in my Mavic 3. Not a bird in sight on takeoff while doing a short flight through our yard showing my coworkers my new quad and suddenly there were about 10 pigeons all circling around and getting fairly close. It is breeding time here and apparently they are very territorial. Always be careful in spring!

The trick is to quickly gain altitude and turn the tide around by chasing them.
Here is the USA, all gull species, including ring-billed, herring, and great black-backed gull, are protected by Federal and State laws and regulations.

And chasing them with a Drone can get you in a lot of trouble…

Here is the USA, all gull species, including ring-billed, herring, and great black-backed gull, are protected by Federal and State laws and regulations.

And chasing them with a Drone can get you in a lot of trouble…
All native birds are protected. Lol.

Reactions: Torque
...And chasing them with a Drone can get you in a lot of trouble…
Yep... here a shorty from my FPV goggles.

First angry Barn Swallows constantly high speed diving towards my quad, then me making a mistake trying to scare off some Terns but they surprise with scattering into all kinds of directions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan