DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you ever feel guilty for spending on a drone but not having anywhere interesting to take pictures/video?

Hello fellow Canuck!
Indulge me for just a few moments while I tell you a little story. I started with a Phantom 4 Pro four years ago and frequented an online urban planning type forum in Toronto. There was a guy there that used to post all sorts of shots of construction and city skylines and we messaged back and forth since he got a P4P same time I did. The rules subsequently changed in Canada making it very difficult for me to legally fly my P4P in the areas I used to so it sat in the box.

Fast forward to Spring 2020 and covid. Got laid off from work, had a nice tax refund and bought myself a mini. Flew it during the honeymoon phase of having a new toy. Fortunately got called back to work at end of June. I watched the guy on the forum post photos almost every day some from other cities like Montreal and Ottawa but most were literally taken up the street from where I lived and also close to where I would drop by the office.

Life got busy and my wife went back to work after her mat leave a few months later and I permanently starting working from home while looking after our daughter. It was hard. I felt like I had no life since I would work at night and on the weekends and look after the little one during the day. The mini sat on a bookshelf. I continued to look at the photos the guy was posting on the forum and it was a great escape for me.

First weekend of May last year I was literally heading out the door to drop by the office and suddenly decided to take the mini. I charged up the batteries while at work and decided to fly over a transit construction project about a kilometre away simply because it was there.

A couple of days later I noticed no new photos on the forum and a note from the administrator that they were made aware of the guy's passing. He had committed suicide the morning I decided to take out the mini.

After that I decided that life was short, I wasn't going to waste any time and even though I might only have an hour or two a week to fly I am going to take advantage of it when I can. I photograph these two buildings under construction not far from me because they change a lot during the year and day from lighting effects. I post a lot on that forum now since I know that there are many people that like the photos and unique perspective a drone can give.

View attachment 150686View attachment 150684View attachment 150685
The point is to get out and fly - even if it is just to spin up the props. That one or two hour escape keeps me going. There was a period of time in March where I could hardly fly since it seemed every day that I had time it was either too windy or cold or there was precipitation falling. That nearly killed me.

The bonus is that one developer saw some of my photos on the site and bought them. I had more than enough money to buy a new Mini2 FMC.

There is no such thing as a boring city. All cities change, have life and movement to them and change over time. In Canada we have four seasons (some say just two - road construction and winter) so that makes for interesting lighting changes.

Please get out and fly!
Very well written and great message.

Reactions: timinator
This is unique thread with lots of interesting and inspirational material. I agree with you about photography and this is great picture which illustrates your point perfectly. Hard to beat a hobby that involves photography, RC aircraft, electronic gear and technology, and the great outdoors.
For half the year my droning is done from the great indoors as I have to fly from inside my car at -20...30...40...50...but I still fly (well maybe not at -40 and -50... ) ;0)

Reactions: Chip
You need to diversify what your capturing . I have too covered most of my local areas to death . Try getting litchi , and using way points , capture the same areas - woodland , fields etc at different times of the year . Fly in a forest , and thru gaps in the foliage of fallen tree over paths . Fly in and around old ruins if you have them . Do slow motion shots ,waterfalls waves and stuff , do some hyperlapses , get on your bike or car and have the drone track you down some crazy hill or path . Get a 360 camera for your drone , give yourself another perspective to work with . Try flying under bridges or thru old disused building or tunnels .
I said before , any noob , even my wife could put my drone up 300 feet and capture great footage . The trick I find to keep the hobby interesting is to try new things to do with your drone other than 300 feet up , flying around look down. Sometimes the best footage can be achieved flying 5-10 feet off the ground . Enjoy the hobby for what it can do , not for the likes you get from sharing the results online . Appreciate it for the opportunity it gives you to get off the couch and out in the fresh air

Hey thanks for the thoughtful reply man really appreciate it

Yeah I think for me it's the realization setting in that no one really cares or takes joy in the pictures I take other than myself. I post my pictures on instagram (mkdp.photography) and only get maybe 10-12 likes at most on a picture and mainly that's from my own friends and family who probably feel obligated to liking the pictures hahah

But yeah it just kind of feels like I'm posting my pictures into the void and no one really cares. I think that's what it is for me.

I've also tried to get gigs of people wanting drone photography, hell at this point I'd do it for near free just so I have a reason to fly and be creative, but nothing bites.
For a while I would post on YoiTube and get 10-15 views, but as my skills improved I found a few people subscribing and for reasons I couldn’t fathom would occasionally get >2000 views. Just stick with it, chose an Interesting title, a good thumbnail image, improve your technique and the viewers will come.

I live within a half-hour drive of a national forest & can get to some scenic sites within an hours drive (less than 30 miles from home). I got a drone specifically to fly there. I love the challenges of drone piloting there, like uneven terrain, random power lines or finding a suitable launch/landing area. It always feels like an adventure flying there, but I'm also fascinated by urban drone pilots and what they see up there & how creative their photos & video are.

Don't know if you are a morning person or not, but sunrises from different parts of town are always changing, as are the seasons. Sunsets behind different landmarks are always a no-brainer as well. Most people have never seen a sunset from above their home. I also love photographing cloud formations of approaching storms. Mother Nature has an unlimited palette. View attachment 150676
Beautiful shot ,

Just curious if this is a common feeling

Like today is really nice out, suns out, winds low, I should be out flying and taking pictures, but my city is pretty boring with nothing to take pictures of, so I feel like I'm not utilizing my purchase well
Boring Sunny white skies, led me to flying into the Storms, and things went from the Mundane tower spin to an amazing Adventure , and the skies would swirl with amazing opportunities .

DJI_0042-Edit-1-1.jpg

I also realized that anyone , can take almost any picture no matter how ugly and flip it as you can with any video.

My outlook changed after this and not just with the Drone , but the Camera in general.

Once you take your first shot of something and change it to something pleasing , its very addicting. The same goes with Video.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Capture something Really UGLY>.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hermey

Yeah I think for me it's the realization setting in that no one really cares or takes joy in the pictures I take other than myself. I post my pictures on instagram (mkdp.photography) and only get maybe 10-12 likes at most on a picture and mainly that's from my own friends and family who probably feel obligated to liking the pictures hahah

But yeah it just kind of feels like I'm posting my pictures into the void and no one really cares. I think that's what it is for me.

I've also tried to get gigs of people wanting drone photography, hell at this point I'd do it for near free just so I have a reason to fly and be creative, but nothing bites.
There are drone pilots out there that post the most boring video or photos on IG of the most boring farmland from 400ft altitude in the middle of the day & they get hundreds of likes. Go figure.

Reactions: eva2000

Just buy followers & likes for IG like the Influencers do!!! I have about 1300 'followers' on IG. All but 30-40 seem to be bots or scammers.

Like today is really nice out, suns out, winds low, I should be out flying and taking pictures, but my city is pretty boring with nothing to take pictures of, so I feel like I'm not utilizing my purchase well
FPV.

I have a perfectly good air and I just ordered a mini3 pro. why I dont know. With the price of gas I'm not gonna go out and search new places to fly, so why am i spending a K that I really cant afford on a drone that Im not gonna fly much smack me in th e head:p
Return it and get an FPV. Really.

If you bought the drone to take pictures and video, after the initial excitement it's going to sit on the shelf until you have a reason to take pictures and shoot video.

If you like to fly for it's own sake, this thread doesn't exist.

I can fly at the same location over and over and over and never get bored with flying.

I can only take so many pictures of the same place before it gets pretty pointless.

Reactions: eva2000

I totally feel you on this. I live in the beautiful state of North Carolina however I’m in Raleigh. Though beauty is subjective there’s hardly any beauty in raleigh. I’d have to go to the coast or to the mountains which is so frustrating.

I have never had the chance to fly in a City, but I am pretty sure I am going to be like Spider man landing on the buildings an than scaling them and do my best to Capture a storm with the city in the background.

I also think I will add the sounds of a city to give it some atmosphere, Gun shots/ screaming , yep for sure.

Update: Yes I am making the Spider logo now for the Wet Suit in case i do fly in city somewhere .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm and be Like Spiderman with my drone.

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon

I bought my camera drone as an extension to my DSLR equipment which enables me to grab a image from a unique view. An interesting image can even come from the graffiti on the side of a railway car and an overhead shot can make the difference. I don't shoot city scenes much but I've seen some great processed pictures of the larger cities that are worthy of viewing. Even Google Street View for example can produce some interesting inner city images. A lot of people buy a drone to go out with the idea every picture is going to be a winner and it often doesn't happen. It's like a telescope; you can't expect every look through the eyepiece will be a wonderful view of some distant celestial oddity. A sunset shot of busy traffic and a good foreground subject could be worth the effort when using a drone. In my small city, I often find a spot I feel is promising, launch and simply go straight up to capture what might be a winner. Go out and experiment.

When I ordered the drone, I knew I'd be kinda restricted on where I could fly based on where I live. I just didn't realise how restrictive. It's kinda sucky having to drive as far as I have to for 30 minutes of flight time.

but my city is pretty boring

Back to your original point…

Assuming you're in Markham (or close to it), here are some things that are on my list of places to photograph:
  • Cathedral of the Transfiguration
  • Bond Lake
  • Philips Lake
  • the streams of Milne Dam and Toogood Pond
  • the fields north of Major Mackenzie, before they get turned into more housing tracts
  • David Dunlap observatory
  • St. Mary & St. Joseph Coptic Church on Yonge just north of Elgin Mills
A bit more of a drive, but still doable:
  • the Thomas Foster Memorial near Uxbridge
  • the ghost canal in Newmarket
  • the Sharon Temple in East Gwillimbury

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members