DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you ever feel guilty for spending on a drone but not having anywhere interesting to take pictures/video?

Back to your original point…

Assuming you're in Markham (or close to it), here are some things that are on my list of places to photograph:
  • Cathedral of the Transfiguration
  • Bond Lake
  • Philips Lake
  • the streams of Milne Dam and Toogood Pond
  • the fields north of Major Mackenzie, before they get turned into more housing tracts
  • David Dunlap observatory
  • St. Mary & St. Joseph Coptic Church on Yonge just north of Elgin Mills
A bit more of a drive, but still doable:
  • the Thomas Foster Memorial near Uxbridge
  • the ghost canal in Newmarket
  • the Sharon Temple in East Gwillimbury
Thanks for these @Robert Prior
I am going to check them out as well since I am just to the west of these locations.

Thanks for these @Robert Prior
I am going to check them out as well since I am just to the west of these locations.

Where are you? I'm in Richmond Hill.

Ghost Canal:

Temple of Sharon:

Interesting structures near Holland River, which I haven't checked out yet but want to:

Thomas Foster Memorial:

In autumn, virtually anywhere! :) But I'm fond of East Duffins Headwaters near Claremont. Kilometres of trails,varied forest,open areas (former gravel pits) to launch from…

My pictures:

Last edited:
And the badlands are either closed or by appointment only now (I can't remember which). I have some great land shots from 1987 when I was there on a high school trip as well as some more recent shots in 2010.

And the badlands are either closed or by appointment only now (I can't remember which). I have some great land shots from 1987 when I was there on a high school trip as well as some more recent shots in 2010.
I was thinking you could fly over, launching from further away. They are not listed as a no-fly zone by Transport Canada, and I haven't found any NOTAMs applicable to them.

Had my Mini 2 for 2 weeks now and only flown 4 times as it's full on raining every day nearly so no opportunity to fly right now. No guilt though - just disappointment. Though given the flooding in Australia in some areas right, I'm lucky and don't have much to complain about!

Reactions: LoudThunder
I never am bored as to where to fly. Like every one else, have video of my area, so we plan to go to other states to capture landscape from the Skycam. Just got back from Michigan, did some flying, over the cabin we stayed at.
And, the beach, the Michigan Dunes, not boring at all.

No I live in Wales part of the U.K. and in Wales within 30 min of wher I live I have lots of castles , Brecon Beacons and cliff side walks. I feel that Wales is one of the most picturesque Countries in the world , even our old industrial sites photographed by drone are usually very interesting, please try to come for a visit and bring your sun 250g drone and see for yourself, cheers Len
Thanks for the invite. I’ll make it point to visit.

I have noticed, in many types of hobbies and endeavors, that limitations can lead to increased creativity. We can learn to come up with something new based on the parameters we have.
For instance...I've done a few flights where the drone never went above 10 ft elevation. I've realized that there can be a fascinating or unique perspective even on ordinary objects and scenes, especially if viewed at the right time of day. Indeed if you study art, (painting) you may find that there are several painters who specialized in painting "ordinary" things in a new way, eg Giorgio Morandi.

Also, I've realized that drone piloting is similar to geocaching in that it is a hobby that can take us to new places we might never have visited otherwise. Geocaching is a "treasure hunting" game where you use a GPS device to find hidden containers with logbooks in them to sign. Geocaching has taken me to many parks I'd not have realized existed, except that I looked at the geocaching map and saw geocaches there. Similarly, when looking for places to fly a drone, you might stumble upon places that offer unique sights that you hadn't realized were there --- until you "looked" from the drone's perspective. Eg what about industrial areas of town, interesting old ruins seen from above, etc. The photos shown in this post are spectacular examples of the unexpected beauty in "ordinary" places.

I also don't necessarily see drone piloting as something to do nearby my home all the time. I think of it as something to do on short to longer day trips.

I also don't necessarily see drone piloting as something to do nearby my home all the time. I think of it as something to do on short to longer day trips.
Nearby home is a good place to practice both piloting and photography/videography techniques.

I was out today to take advantage of the beautiful weather, and flew my Mini to get some practice in. Three batteries and a 14 km walk later I've had a chance to try some shots I want to take on a longer day trip next week.

Reactions: eva2000
Yes I do feel "guilty" as in "a Guilty Pleasure when I eat Chocolate…" And the only thing I wonder is, will I feel just as guilty or twice as guilty, if I buy a second drone when I upgrade…

As they say, "Guilty as Charged…" and I hope I am sentenced to a long life of Droning…

There is always something to shoot. My wife never gives me grief because it's not like I'm out hootching it up. This is one of those fun things that gets me out exploring a little bit.

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
Just curious if this is a common feeling

Like today is really nice out, suns out, winds low, I should be out flying and taking pictures, but my city is pretty boring with nothing to take pictures of, so I feel like I'm not utilizing my purchase well

I have a really hard time believing that there is "nothing" to take pictures of. I have never experienced such a place, especially with a drone. Just one suggestion ... have you tried pointing the camera straight down at gazebos, water, empty playgrounds, tennis courts, etc. etc. etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roland Brian