DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you ever feel guilty for spending on a drone but not having anywhere interesting to take pictures/video?

shadow3467

Reactions
Just curious if this is a common feeling

Like today is really nice out, suns out, winds low, I should be out flying and taking pictures, but my city is pretty boring with nothing to take pictures of, so I feel like I'm not utilizing my purchase well

Like today is really nice out, suns out, winds low, I should be out flying and taking pictures, but my city is pretty boring with nothing to take pictures of, so I feel like I'm not utilizing my purchase well
Yes, when I bought the drone, I was flying it 6 times every day, but now that I recorded and posted everything around me on YouTube I don't fly it as much.

Good morning to all-
Well, Brother, I can truthfully say that I rarely feel guilty about anything- just not my way of thinking.
Anyway, I'd say just send her up, fly the bird, and take videos and pics and see what you got flying over your boring town. I am willing to bet that you'll see something that you've never seen before- maybe even learn something- it could happen.
Seeing a boring place from a different point of view is a good way to discover things.

you all be safe and keep well-Ed

I have a similar situation where I live… all country settings, Class G airspace. I’ve recorded most of the area around my region.
May I suggest to enhance your motivation to fly, try coming up with either videos or pictures that challenge your flying skills, is in general have a high degree of difficulty and illicit a response of “how’d he do that?” For myself I have generated videos that feature long period transitions (winter to summer), time lapse panoramas converted into videos, flying and filming two drones with my wife (insanely difficult), and even music videos that require no temporal order of B roll. Do something that nobody else does because it’s hard.

Reactions: Burt and Ex Coelis
Well somewhat but not really
I use it to make friends when I'm too shy to do it myself

I feel like that too. I recently had my MA2 listed in the classifieds but took it down and decided to keep it. It's not that I don't want to go out and fly, I generally don't have time to fly because I take care of an elderly person 24/7.

I feel like that too. I recently had my MA2 listed in the classifieds but took it down and decided to keep it. It's not that I don't want to go out and fly, I generally don't have time to fly because I take care of an elderly person 24/7.
Is good you take care of your own. But sometimes you need to
take a break to keep your sanity.

Is good you take care of your own. But sometimes you need to
take a break to keep your sanity.
Unfortunately there are no resources for anyone to give me a break so I do what I have to do. And sanity? Heck, I lost that a long long time ago.

Unfortunately there are no resources for anyone to give me a break so I do what I have to do. And sanity? Heck, I lost that a long long time ago.
Bless ya 👍

New Mini 2 owner so in the honeymoon period so no guilt LOL. But I get what you're saying. I live in an area on the border of a control tower airport so limited range for flying and even my sister's place in sydney and Sydney Park are also in no fly area due to being near control tower air port too LOL. Same with my DSLR camera rarely used these days. But as comfort, I believe it's better to have than not to have :D

I have a perfectly good air and I just ordered a mini3 pro. why I dont know. With the price of gas I'm not gonna go out and search new places to fly, so why am i spending a K that I really cant afford on a drone that Im not gonna fly much smack me in th e head:p

I have a perfectly good air and I just ordered a mini3 pro. why I dont know. With the price of gas I'm not gonna go out and search new places to fly, so why am i spending a K that I really cant afford on a drone that Im not gonna fly much smack me in th e head:p
I feel the same man, gas prices are such a bummer. I'm starting to think my life isn't exciting enough for a drone hahah

I just 'go places' to fly, rarely do I fly around home, but go to interesting places that are new, or places I fly regularly to catch a different sunset etc.

It's a shame (and I understand) if people can't travel to somewhere interesting, but it is really amazing how many urban places / items of infrastructure, markings on the ground, can look really cool from height.

Most notably from dead above looking straight down on them . . . I've seen photos of gravel pits that had a cool perspective like that.

Yeah @Daytona500 for sure fuel costs here are getting crazy (worldwide upward spiral).
The trend is goes up a lot, drop a little, up a lot, drop a little, over and over for the past 2 months.

For interest sakes regular ULP here is varying between AU$2.00 and AU$2.30 a litre, which is US$7.56 to US$8.70 a US gallon.
What's a gallon where you live in your US$ ?

i don't feel guilty about my passion for my hobby ,or the costs involved,in any hobby as time goes on ,things evolve within that hobby, and prices generally rise ,governed by world events
i think that doubts begin, if because of the cost of fuel ,as has already be highlighted to get to different places ,impacts on your commitments that your income has to cover
fuel here in the UK is hitting the £2 a litre mark and is expected to rise even more
even with all this going on, its still nice to just go to one of several local flying spots within a 10 mile radius of home and fly when the chance arises ,you dont even have to take pics or video
just being out in the fresh air is great ,and even better is when you meet up with other flyers ,and fly together
i fully understand where you are coming from,issues we have no control over ,can and do impact,on our lives ,but please dont feel guilty ,feel grateful that you have the your drones and are able to enjoy them ,even if not as much as you would like

No I live in Wales part of the U.K. and in Wales within 30 min of wher I live I have lots of castles , Brecon Beacons and cliff side walks. I feel that Wales is one of the most picturesque Countries in the world , even our old industrial sites photographed by drone are usually very interesting, please try to come for a visit and bring your sun 250g drone and see for yourself, cheers Len

fuel here in the UK is hitting the £2 a litre mark

Ouch !
That's AU$3.53/lt, but be thankful you have a small country !!

main-qimg-d08e1fee023fab63f4dda845897db0dd-pjlq

That's a good day drive top to bottom, or at the widest point 1/2 a day.
That is if you can manage a decent 100km/hr through probable higher density townships etc.

If I drive Adelaide (South Australia) to Brisbane (Queensland), as I used to a LOT, that's a 4200km round trip.
Certainly I fly now as airfares are cheap as chips compared to fuel and vehicle wear & tear.

From what I know and see of Canada it’s a stunning country, but You may think your surroundings are boring but non Canadians could find it interesting, I always try to encourage visitors to my country of Wales, cheers Len

If you have a car, head into the countryside and get shots of fields. Get up early and shoot a 360° pano of a city park. Try some quickshots of historic buildings (again, best done early, both for light and to minimize bystanders).

I've orbited every water tower, cell tower, the courthouse and one smoke stack in my home town.

Plus a few from the neighboring towns.

Not much to look at but it is good practice to hone the skills of flying and getting "the shot" when / if the time comes.

Sunrise on the weekends are the best for me to capture stuff.

Calm and peaceful. ☮️

Get out there and see your world from a different point of view. 😊

Don't know if you are a morning person or not, but sunrises from different parts of town are always changing, as are the seasons. Sunsets behind different landmarks are always a no-brainer as well. Most people have never seen a sunset from above their home. I also love photographing cloud formations of approaching storms. Mother Nature has an unlimited palette. 220503-M3vid-Storm 2.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dond40127