DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you ever feel guilty for spending on a drone but not having anywhere interesting to take pictures/video?

Just curious if this is a common feeling

Like today is really nice out, suns out, winds low, I should be out flying and taking pictures, but my city is pretty boring with nothing to take pictures of, so I feel like I'm not utilizing my purchase well
Yes ! I feel the same way. I’ve been flying less expensive drones for a few years and recently stuck my neck out financially and bought an MA2 when the Fly More package was priced right. To me, it was like buying a high performance car over a beater.
But now I’m wondering if I’m going to waste its potential since I don’t live around endless coastlines or ancient European castles. I guess time will tell.

It is difficult to imagine that you would run out of things to video or photograph in a place as beautiful as Canada if you are willing to travel. And, there is always more to learn about technique. If I lived in a city where I could fly near traffic at twilight I would be trying to master motion lapse. Unfortunately the city where I live is peppered with so many controlled airspace restrictions and other bans that I am compelled to head out of town.

As for guilt, I would think about what you denied yourself or your dependents by spending money on your hobby. There are so many worse ways to spend money than drones. You are entitled to take pleasure in life by learning new skills and don’t need to earn a living from everything you spend. Alternatively you could get a commercial drone ticket so you can justify using this for a few paying or volunteer projects.

Reactions: eva2000
[You and Your are intended as general terms and not as responses to specific persons.]
Is it that your pictures are just boring and you can't find people who compliment you on your pictures or that you just don't enjoy the challenges of flying.
If you want to look at it rationally, who much money do you spend on cable TV? Do you feel guilty for that? Or, how much you spend to take a vacation and spend time in a resort? If it's about the finances then the rational approach would be to eliminate all unnecessary expenses, not just droning.

Last edited:
Reactions: dozzn
Photography has been one of my hobbies for many years. Just a thought: if you feel your surroundings are boring, try looking at them from a different perspective. For example, a dandelion can look like a boring weed. But, captured with light behind it, it takes on a very different look. Try to develop the habit of making the mundane look interesting by changing your perspective. Puff Ball no sig.jpg

I've flown over my high desert home many times. I always shoot video when I do. I rarely share those videos unless there's something unique. The real reason I continue to fly is I'm a frustrated pilot. I'm 77 and have always wished I could have gotten my pilot's license when I was younger, but life and limited financial resources always got in the way. When I fly my Air 2S and watch the screen it's fun to imagine I'm at the controls of a 'real' plane. I love the view from the drone, and I'll keep doing it as it's the closest I'll get to piloting a plane in the time I have left on this earth.

I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia and there is no shortage of location to do photography or video but some of it requires travel. There are mountains, oceans, lakes, shoreline,waterfalls etc. locations. Sometimes I will go to a awesome place and do several shoots until I get everything right including the sky that I want. If you change the camera view you can get interesting photos/video. I have a Mavic 3 and Air 2S with a Mini 3 Pro that should be delivered in the next few weeks.

Question: where in Ontario are you? (I'm assuming GTA, from your picture of the cathedral.)

Durham region has some great areas for combining flying and hiking. I'm quite fond of East Duffins Headwaters.

If you're further west, Mount Nemo can be spectacular. To the north there's always Muskoka.

Come to that, I've seen some nice shots people took around Markham. After seeing your video of Richmond Green I'm going to have to head there and try some morning shots. (With my Mavic Mini, as it's just within 3 nm of Buttonville.)

Depending on your schedule, a hyperlapse of sunrise on the cathedral would be really cool. It just glows in the morning light. If you could manage from just before the sun gilds the golden cross until the mosaics are ablaze that would be amazing. You'd have to be there just after 5 AM, though!

Another possibility is to head down to Lake Ontario (or up to Lake Simcoe) and try some shoreline shots.

Like today is really nice out, suns out, winds low, I should be out flying and taking pictures, but my city is pretty boring with nothing to take pictures of, so I feel like I'm not utilizing my purchase well
I typically travel at least 100mi to film. My last outing was about 350mi from my home where my buddy and I got a hotel for the night, spending a day filming along the way each day. We filmed a train traveling south for a day, driving and leap frogging it for about 250mi before returning. Here is the train video. Maybe get out of town and travel a bit if time/funds allow.... Alaska Railroad

I will add that in addition to making plans for travel, a great deal of practice can be done over boring areas in terms of manually circling something smoothly, practicing night flying and all sorts of other techniques that make your video and imaging better so when you do find the time/ability to get out of town you will be better prepared to make great images. Doing google searches for things in your area that might be interesting that you are unaware of can be useful as is Google Earth for interesting stuff seen from the air.

I will add that in addition to making plans for travel, a great deal of practice can be done over boring areas in terms of manually circling something smoothly, practicing night flying and all sorts of other techniques that make your video and imaging better so when you do find the time/ability to get out of town you will be better prepared to make great images. Doing google searches for things in your area that might be interesting that you are unaware of can be useful as is Google Earth for interesting stuff seen from the air.
Akdrone- Brother, you have flung a big-time cravin' on me. I would love like a Momma loves her baby to take the Alaska Railroad trip- Gorgeous.
I enjoy doing train videos and photos, but your work makes my sort of trains look like freight trains hauling coal- cause that's what they are!

Thank you for the fine work- most enjoyable

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

[You and Your are intended as general terms and not as responses to specific persons.]
Is it that your pictures are just boring and you can't find people who compliment you on your pictures or that you just don't enjoy the challenges of flying.
If you want to look at it rationally, who much money do you spend on cable TV? Do you feel guilty for that? Or, how much you spend to take a vacation and spend time in a resort? If it's about the finances then the rational approach would be to eliminate all unnecessary expenses, not just droning.
Bit of both maybe?

I've been posting my pictures on Instagram, but get like 5-6 likes and it's kind of making me feel like what's the point of capturing all these cool shots if no one cares lol

Hello fellow Canuck!
Indulge me for just a few moments while I tell you a little story. I started with a Phantom 4 Pro four years ago and frequented an online urban planning type forum in Toronto. There was a guy there that used to post all sorts of shots of construction and city skylines and we messaged back and forth since he got a P4P same time I did. The rules subsequently changed in Canada making it very difficult for me to legally fly my P4P in the areas I used to so it sat in the box.

Fast forward to Spring 2020 and covid. Got laid off from work, had a nice tax refund and bought myself a mini. Flew it during the honeymoon phase of having a new toy. Fortunately got called back to work at end of June. I watched the guy on the forum post photos almost every day some from other cities like Montreal and Ottawa but most were literally taken up the street from where I lived and also close to where I would drop by the office.

Life got busy and my wife went back to work after her mat leave a few months later and I permanently starting working from home while looking after our daughter. It was hard. I felt like I had no life since I would work at night and on the weekends and look after the little one during the day. The mini sat on a bookshelf. I continued to look at the photos the guy was posting on the forum and it was a great escape for me.

First weekend of May last year I was literally heading out the door to drop by the office and suddenly decided to take the mini. I charged up the batteries while at work and decided to fly over a transit construction project about a kilometre away simply because it was there.

A couple of days later I noticed no new photos on the forum and a note from the administrator that they were made aware of the guy's passing. He had committed suicide the morning I decided to take out the mini.

After that I decided that life was short, I wasn't going to waste any time and even though I might only have an hour or two a week to fly I am going to take advantage of it when I can. I photograph these two buildings under construction not far from me because they change a lot during the year and day from lighting effects. I post a lot on that forum now since I know that there are many people that like the photos and unique perspective a drone can give.

DJI_0545 (2).JPGDJI_0684.JPGDJI_0922 (2).JPG
The point is to get out and fly - even if it is just to spin up the props. That one or two hour escape keeps me going. There was a period of time in March where I could hardly fly since it seemed every day that I had time it was either too windy or cold or there was precipitation falling. That nearly killed me.

The bonus is that one developer saw some of my photos on the site and bought them. I had more than enough money to buy a new Mini2 FMC.

There is no such thing as a boring city. All cities change, have life and movement to them and change over time. In Canada we have four seasons (some say just two - road construction and winter) so that makes for interesting lighting changes.

Please get out and fly!

Hello fellow Canuck!
Indulge me for just a few moments while I tell you a little story. I started with a Phantom 4 Pro four years ago and frequented an online urban planning type forum in Toronto. There was a guy there that used to post all sorts of shots of construction and city skylines and we messaged back and forth since he got a P4P same time I did. The rules subsequently changed in Canada making it very difficult for me to legally fly my P4P in the areas I used to so it sat in the box.

Fast forward to Spring 2020 and covid. Got laid off from work, had a nice tax refund and bought myself a mini. Flew it during the honeymoon phase of having a new toy. Fortunately got called back to work at end of June. I watched the guy on the forum post photos almost every day some from other cities like Montreal and Ottawa but most were literally taken up the street from where I lived and also close to where I would drop by the office.

Life got busy and my wife went back to work after her mat leave a few months later and I permanently starting working from home while looking after our daughter. It was hard. I felt like I had no life since I would work at night and on the weekends and look after the little one during the day. The mini sat on a bookshelf. I continued to look at the photos the guy was posting on the forum and it was a great escape for me.

First weekend of May last year I was literally heading out the door to drop by the office and suddenly decided to take the mini. I charged up the batteries while at work and decided to fly over a transit construction project about a kilometre away simply because it was there.

A couple of days later I noticed no new photos on the forum and a note from the administrator that they were made aware of the guy's passing. He had committed suicide the morning I decided to take out the mini.

After that I decided that life was short, I wasn't going to waste any time and even though I might only have an hour or two a week to fly I am going to take advantage of it when I can. I photograph these two buildings under construction not far from me because they change a lot during the year and day from lighting effects. I post a lot on that forum now since I know that there are many people that like the photos and unique perspective a drone can give.

View attachment 150686View attachment 150684View attachment 150685
The point is to get out and fly - even if it is just to spin up the props. That one or two hour escape keeps me going. There was a period of time in March where I could hardly fly since it seemed every day that I had time it was either too windy or cold or there was precipitation falling. That nearly killed me.

The bonus is that one developer saw some of my photos on the site and bought them. I had more than enough money to buy a new Mini2 FMC.

There is no such thing as a boring city. All cities change, have life and movement to them and change over time. In Canada we have four seasons (some say just two - road construction and winter) so that makes for interesting lighting changes.

Please get out and fly!

Hey thanks for the thoughtful reply man really appreciate it

Yeah I think for me it's the realization setting in that no one really cares or takes joy in the pictures I take other than myself. I post my pictures on instagram (mkdp.photography) and only get maybe 10-12 likes at most on a picture and mainly that's from my own friends and family who probably feel obligated to liking the pictures hahah

But yeah it just kind of feels like I'm posting my pictures into the void and no one really cares. I think that's what it is for me.

I've also tried to get gigs of people wanting drone photography, hell at this point I'd do it for near free just so I have a reason to fly and be creative, but nothing bites.

Hey thanks for the thoughtful reply man really appreciate it

Yeah I think for me it's the realization setting in that no one really cares or takes joy in the pictures I take other than myself. I post my pictures on instagram (mkdp.photography) and only get maybe 10-12 likes at most on a picture and mainly that's from my own friends and family who probably feel obligated to liking the pictures hahah

But yeah it just kind of feels like I'm posting my pictures into the void and no one really cares. I think that's what it is for me.

I've also tried to get gigs of people wanting drone photography, hell at this point I'd do it for near free just so I have a reason to fly and be creative, but nothing bites.
I can assure you that people do care. They might not hit the like button but there are people out there that get some joy from your images.

And by all means, just post images for yourself.

At the very least, the more you fly the more skilled a pilot you will become.

Keep going!

Hello fellow Canuck!

View attachment 150686View attachment 150684View attachment 150685

Please get out and fly!
Great story with the sad twist, but the photos are what I taking about.
Drone perspective.
The vertical shots looking down the wave of those incredibly interesting buildings 👍

. . . but my city is pretty boring with nothing to take pictures of, so I feel like I'm not utilizing my purchase well
Shadow3467 it may be boring to you but there are many of us that (may) never visit your town. I'm sure I speak for many when I say; we'd love to see your town! The boundaries, the shopping areas, the parks and the overall way of life there. I can't help but to think of the kids movie 'Cars' the the small town of Radiator Springs . . . ;)Thumbswayup!

I'd bet its more interesting then you can possibly imagine . . . at the very least, record it and prove to us its as boring as you claim.

I bought a Mini 2 and A2S about a month apart. I'm not in a real interesting area but I'm using the drones to a) force myself to explore and b) make my area interesting.

I've managed to find places I never knew existed and I've lived here since 1991. I'm also seeing old things in a new light. Use the drone as an opportunity maker.

After that I decided that life was short, I wasn't going to waste any time and even though I might only have an hour or two a week to fly I am going to take advantage of it when I can.
Wow that's certainly a wake up reminder! Nice photos!

Photography has been one of my hobbies for many years. Just a thought: if you feel your surroundings are boring, try looking at them from a different perspective. For example, a dandelion can look like a boring weed. But, captured with light behind it, it takes on a very different look. Try to develop the habit of making the mundane look interesting by changing your perspective. View attachment 150677
This is unique thread with lots of interesting and inspirational material. I agree with you about photography and this is great picture which illustrates your point perfectly. Hard to beat a hobby that involves photography, RC aircraft, electronic gear and technology, and the great outdoors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee