DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you guys fly with the gimbal cover?

I used this:

In the beginning I flew with the clear plastic cover on to protect the camera, there is a slot in the cover to allow air flow into the MP. Yes there was light glare in the photos caused by the plastic cover. After I felt better about my flying skills I took it off, but got a lens hood like the one below, in order to give the lens some protection, but allow clear view for the camera. I have never had a problem with the MP overheating either with or without the plastic cover, flying or sitting on a table while updating FW or running through my settings.View attachment 31247

With my first flight of the Mavic Pro and its transparent protector, I got glare and consequently removed it for the following flights.

Within a few weeks I'd found the lens hood mentioned above and bought one. However, I've recently tried some shots in the 360 panorama mode and found that the hood infringes on the top edge of some of the top row of images.

Attachments

• DJI_0001.JPG
    DJI_0001.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 36
  • panorama_7308bfe5d60fee80_04.jpg
    panorama_7308bfe5d60fee80_04.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 35
Hasn't this been shown to be not the case at all?

Having said that, I would never fly with it on for other reasons including glare and poor optics.

A DJI rep at the VA store also confirmed that the airflow is reduced and that’s why removing the cover is essential.

For anyone in this thread recommending the gimbal cover be removed in order to prevent airflow restriction issues, can you link us to any known cases where flying with the gimbal cover caused damage to the Mavic? (just curious)

Reactions: radman and DroneDD
For more potentially dangerous flights i would put it on. It did saved the gimbal when crashed once. The crash was with gimbal second to touch the ground, w/o the cover the hit would most likely break the gimbal. Btw, even though there was no contact with the ground the gimbal flex cable broke inside.

For high altitude or area with less objects i would take it off.
For low alt. I will verify the environment or flight mode is the least risk for collision.
For best imagery off course w/o the cover and extra carefulness.

Anyway this is something that should be asked before each and every flight.
There is no one definitive answer that will replace common sense.

Reactions: bvsolutions
Does that model ever show up through the lens, on fast starts or stops? I use one, similar to the one posted further up in this thread, where I've cut away some of the opening - but it still makes an occasional appearance if I slam on the brakes.
I fly with a Polytech lens hood and I can see it if I make fast movements; but I do not make fast movements while recording video. I got it more for it's intended purpose of shielding the lens from the sun than for crash protection. It does give me comfort seeing something around that delicate gimbal setup.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I not only fly with the Camera Cover on, I occasionally fly with the Gimbal Lock on. Just to make sure it’s working properly.
Flying with the gimbal lock on prevents it from working properly. Do you just ignore the gimbal overload messages?

Reactions: maven4336
Flying with the gimbal lock on prevents it from working properly. Do you just ignore the gimbal overload messages?

The Gimbal Overload Messages are an indicator that the Gimbal Lock is working properly.

Because the Gimbal Lock is transparent, it’s sometimes difficult to determine if it’s really in place. For this reason I’ve attached a Yellow Ribbon so the I can determine with a quick glance if properly in place.

The Ribbon says,”Remove Before Flight.”

Last edited:
The Gimbal Overload Messages are an indicator the the Gimbal Lock is working properly.
That's what I'm talking about.
eb5bae17e6af0bfdfc2009b707fd79b3.jpg

Reactions: maven4336
Lol [emoji23]. Never keep on when flying, will over heat reg Mavic and Mavic2pro will burn up gimbal motor. Maybe a spark is more your speed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54