DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use LiPo bags when flying?

Or maybe not .. not one airline or air travel safety authority suggests you discharge batteries or use LiPo bags.
It's unlikely that any airport security check people know what they are or care.

I think it is more likely to depend on the airport as it's usually their staff doing security screening, not the airline's, and they do currently stipulate that batteries are made safe, just not a specific method of how that needs to be achieved.

In particular, major international airports in first world countries, and especially those that might be considered a terrorism target, are far more likely to have regular training courses and updates for their security staff than those with lower profiles. That was certainly the case at Heathrow when I was working there a few years ago, although I have no idea whether they'd specifically cover things like battery protection options. That said, if you are outsourcing your airport security to rent-a-cops who work for a company that's mostly in it to make money or come in under budget, then all bets are off.

Either way, we *are* flying with potentially hazardous items and, in the unlikely event that anything should go wrong, we're going to be pretty close to it when it does. In that light, spending a little time and money to reduce the odds even further just seems like common sense to me.

Reactions: Ancient Alien
You are largely correct but your comments miss the point. It has been my experience, and presumably yours, that many people don't give a stuff about doing their job properly. Some do; and some can be pedantic or obstructive. My precautions got me quickly through a situation that could have been difficult. Relaying on the slackness of others to be slack ourselves is less than clever. There is also the safety factor. Discharged batteries are safer. Covering them and putting them in protective bags is a recommendation of CASA, the Australian regulator. It is 'best practice'. It may save your life and that of a plane full of people - and it takes so little.

Discharged batteries are safer. Covering them and putting them in protective bags is a recommendation of CASA, the Australian regulator. It is 'best practice'.
Checking the CASA website, I can't find any suggestion that you should discharge batteries (just like all other air safety authorities or airline websites) and no mention of LiPo bags.
They just suggest separate bags (any old plastic bags) as a way to prevent shorts.
The only place you find these recommendations are drone forums.

From the CASA website:
Short-circuiting batteries have been responsible for numerous on-board fires, so it’s important that all spare batteries have their terminals protected properly.
You can do this by:

• Keeping batteries in original retail packaging or
  • Insulating the battery terminals by taping over exposed terminals or
  • Placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch.
Or this image from their video
i-tgbHd5s-M.jpg

Aircraft security is very keen on liquids put in resealable bags and my son having a matchbox car in his pocket (triggering all alarms). 3x 4Ah LiPo batteries are OK and pose no risk for their concern. In my opinion this is a lack of training from their side. I flew with Icelandair last summer and found these restrictions: Lithium batteries
Basically: You don't want to be responsible for a fire at 12 km / 30000 ft altitude, where there is no means of extinguisishing it and the cabin is filling with a chemical, intoxicating smoke.
So buy a LiPo safe bag per battery you carry, the cost outweighs the cost of disaster (and your life) by far. Only take batteries that still perform well. Make sure you LiPo is only half charged when travelling; this is where the internals of the LiPo is safest.
Make sure the battery is not squeezed between something, a LiPo battery must have some room to expand.

Going to be headed back East for thanksgiving and will be taking my M2P. I've never traveled before with my drone, so I wanted to ask if you guys recommend putting the batteries in LiPo bags?

Thanks
I go in and out of Mexico with my drone and batteries in carry-on without a problem. Made it to Germany and Italy as Carry-on with no problem. I don't use special bags or anything like that.

I went to france and England earler this year i used lipo bags, followed all the rules, had the regs printed out packed with the batteries in my carry on. I did not want to have a problem of any kind. With that said i don't think they even looked at my stuff. No problem with anything.

I flew to Italy (from Australia) a few weeks ago with my 4 Mavic Air batteries plus a Blackmagic 4k pocket cinema (6 batteries) and Nikon DSLR (7 batteries) , Feiyu gimble (6 batteries), laptop, tablet, phone, two power banks, video light (2 batteries), plus more (all batteries in carry on). A lot of batteries, but necessary. I expected interest at customs and got some at Abu Dhabi. I got through very quickly without fuss because I was able to say that I had discharged them all, show I had covered the connections and everything was in LiPo bags. It would probably have been a different outcome otherwise, it was the batteries that aroused interest. That aside, batteries are a potential danger and it is our own interest to take the best precautions available. It isn't hard and it isn't expensive. Crashing and burning because of a battery fire could ruin your entire day...
Takes a lot of battery's to fly that far? Wow I better buy more.

Reactions: BD0G and Pietros
I flew with Icelandair last summer and found these restrictions: Lithium batteries
And if you look carefully at the restrictions you quoted, you'll see they are for shipping batteries as air cargo in the cargo hold, not the passenger compartment of the plane.
If you go to Icelandair's web page to see their recommendations for travelling with batteries: Baggage Restrictions, Prohibited Articles | Icelandair
You would find this:
Lithium Battery Restrictions
When carrying spare lithium batteries for laptops and/or any spare fuel cells and cartridges for the powering of electronic devices for cameras, cellphones, laptops and camcorders, items must be carried in carry-on baggage. If your carry-on baggage is removed from the cabin and stowed in the hold you must declare such items before removal.
It is forbidden to carry on board an aircraft damaged, defective or recalled lithium batteries or devices. If a damaged, defective or recalled battery or device is noticed to have been carried inadvertently on board an aircraft, the passenger concerned must keep the battery or device turned off, protect it from accidental activation (also disabling any features that may turn it on), keep it on their person, and not charge it at any time. Immediately inform the cabin crew when a device is damaged, hot, produces smoke, is lost, or falls into the seat structure.

No mention of discharging or LiPo bags there.
Just like every other airline

All airlines lithium battery policies are very similar as they are based on the IATA recommendations (which also make no mention of LiPo bags or discharging):
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

IATA recommendations for cargo is the only place you find mention of SOC (state of charge.
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-update.pdf

So buy a LiPo safe bag per battery you carry, the cost outweighs the cost of disaster (and your life) by far. Only take batteries that still perform well. Make sure you LiPo is only half charged when travelling; this is where the internals of the LiPo is safest.
Do you see the airline suggesting this for all the other lithium batteries on your plane?
For all the people with laptops, iPads, mobile phones, cameras etc?

After seeing a lipo pack catch fire, decided to purchase some lipo bagsfor home storage.
Doesn’t kill me to take them whilst traveling.

Safety first
Hobbyists Rock

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
If you live in a home buy some five dollar Lipo Bags
You could be saving a Home

I have taken all sorts of kit through airport security (cameras, telescopes, tracking mounts) and never had a problem with any of my drones. I always check the current rules especially when taking something new through.

LiPo bags might not be needed, but it does demonstrate that you are a responsible person taking care to play by the rules. The more you do this, the less problems you will have.

In the UK you can't put any batteries in the hold, just carry on luggage and I always use LiPo bags and discharge my batteries before going to the airport. Also I don't have a battery in the aircraft, just in case.

If you have anything slightly unusual, print a copy of the sales brochure or if it has it CAA approval, I do this for the electronics we manufacture.

LiPo bags might not be needed, but it does demonstrate that you are a responsible person taking care to play by the rules. The more you do this, the less problems you will have.

I always use LiPo bags and discharge my batteries before going to the airport.
So rather than playing by the rules, you are talking about doing something that isn't actually in the rules?
Airport security staff have no discretion and are simply looking for anything that's on the list of prohibited items.
They don't care if your batteries are discharged.
They've never heard of any recommendation to discharge batteries since they don't read drone forums.
They wouldn't know what a LiPo bag is.

I realise it might not be able in the rules, all I am trying to do is avoid a situation where an over eager security staff member takes too keen an interest and delays me in security to the point I miss my plane.

I have never had a problem with any of my drones, but have had problems before with ordinary Laptops and phones/pda, I have had everything checked and swabbed before, took ages and there is no point in quoting the rules, that just makes them more determined.

So if you want to spend a long while at the security check go up with your 'rule based' attitude or if like me you want to breeze through, take every precaution and pack wisely.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
So if you want to spend a long while at the security check go up with your 'rule based' attitude or if like me you want to breeze through, take every precaution and pack wisely.
Sorry but I can't see the logic in that.
I travel a lot and breeze right through.
The security staff don't know what a LiPo bag is, they've never heard of discharging a battery to fly.
They let anyone through with a laptop or iPad or mobile phone without a care.
Discharging batteries or packing in Lipo bags won't make any difference to them since they have no idea about your special precautions.
They are more interested in looking for serious safety issues like nail clippers or bottled water.

Love the guy that retreated to the upper left side of the video behind the cubicle wall! Metal Trashcan would have been particularly useful in this scenario. Flip can -slam it over the LiPo . Put rug over burned spot on flooring. Eat some Cheetos and tell your friends about how you nearly escaped death.

Contrary to popular belief the majority of home fires are not started from Electrical Issues (percentage is very low actually) , but instead they are caused by cooking issues. As per the latest data collected from 2017.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
DJI batteries come in plastic case, so are protected all the time. You can buy LIPO batteries in a soft pouch with bare terminals, these would need an additional case and for the terminals to be insulated. but the DJI design protects the terminals. And the hard plastic case prevents damage. I fly with cameras, laptop, drone, spare batteries for all, usb power banks - all in the same case as carry on and never had an issue - sometimes fish it out for a closer look but never even been asked why I have so many batteries. You do not need the bags.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure