DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you wish you had gotten the P4P instead?

I have a friend that has a P4 Pro and I have a mavic. For me it's a mavic hands down. We cannot find much difference in picture quality. My friend is thinking about selling his p4pro and buying a mavic. Because of size portability and does not look like your typical drone.

Wow. I feel better about owning my Mavic :)

The size of the Mavic makes it practical. It's quick to deploy and easy to transport. It's hard to believe that something so small could be so powerful. It's the drone with features that I've always wanted.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
For me, if its portability the mavic wins. If its image or video quality the P4P wins by a huge margin.

I move around a lot so theres no point having a drone with great image quality if its too bulky to actually take anywhere. So the Mavic wins.
If i wasnt moving and living out of cases and backpacks id get the P4P as the camera setup is far superior.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
I yearned for the P4P when I first got my MP. I figured after lugging around a 36mp full frame dslr I wouldn't be able to go back to a substantially lower mp camera.

However, after having just got back from Europe and taking quite a bit of photos with the MP I think I made the right decision. I was able to deploy the MP get the shots I wanted and get everything back in my backpack without much fuss. When I wasn't able to get close enough I could still crop the photo to the image I wanted just fine. Ive printed out a few of the images to largest size my printer will do (13x19) and it looks great.

I think I would've felt a bit silly walking around with a Phantom sized backpack. I used a set of the semi-rigid cases from eBay along with my Goruck GR1 backpack and still had plenty of room for my full frame dslr with 24-70mm lens with hood attached.

I'm on the fence...... I want the Phantom 4 Pro There louder and Prouder then Mavic
or wait for the next Latest greatest Drone in a few months....
I'm holding My Mavic keep honing my skills..... I just want More camera.
Video is OK.
But camera is So,so on mavic...NEED Better camera
..........C

I'm on the fence...... I want the Phantom 4 Pro There louder and Prouder then Mavic
or wait for the next Latest greatest Drone in a few months....
I'm holding My Mavic keep honing my skills..... I just want More camera.
Video is OK.
But camera is So,so on mavic...NEED Better camera
..........C

I agree! I think the perfect situation is to have one of each. P4P is the one cannot be without though

i use the phantoms and mavics for training at school. When it came to purchasing my own bird, i went the Mavic. If I need better quality pics i drag out my inspire, but to be honest, the Mavic is just so easy and 9 times out of 10 the quality is more than enough. What other cameras are you flying in your fleet? will this new buy be the top of the line?

Then I would have to explain to the lovely wife why I need two new drones when I already have a large fleet (7.)
If you already have 7, why bother? She won't notice the Spark for the selfies, the P4P for the tight corners where you need the obstacle avoidance, the Mavic Pro to keep in the trunk, the Inspire 2 for the better videos and the M600 to carry the Hasselblad... [emoji41]

For me, if its portability the mavic wins. If its image or video quality the P4P wins by a huge margin.

I move around a lot so theres no point having a drone with great image quality if its too bulky to actually take anywhere. So the Mavic wins.
If i wasnt moving and living out of cases and backpacks id get the P4P as the camera setup is far superior.
one reason being it is (PH4) more stable in the air /therefore better focus. However as you say small wins by far.

You say you are very picky about qaulity then say you spend more time with your DSLR at home and carrying a pocket camera.

same applies to the mavic and P4P right so i guess eventually you will be less picky in that department and sack the P4P for the Mavic as you become less inclined to carry the extra weight and size.

If you are not as picky as you think you are then take the Mavic. Any truly serious photographer who is very picky would rarely choose a pocket camera over a full frame DSLR shooting at 36mp (assuming a D810 body). Unless they are prepared to make the compromise on portability.

I have a Mavic and a DSLR in the car all the time and just decide on ground shooting or aerial and take what i need.
i am assuming you use post which will edge up the Mavic video and stills.

so really with that in mind how picky are you?

One thing i have notices re: Mavic vs P4P: The Phantom is much better at low light shooting, not surprising; the bigger the lens the more light it can take in. Just food for thought.

It just has to be the Mavic for me, no question.

Ask the same question on the phantom forum!

Reactions: charliesRig
One thing i have notices re: Mavic vs P4P: The Phantom is much better at low light shooting, not surprising; the bigger the lens the more light it can take in. Just food for thought.

Phantom has a bigger sensor, with far less noise, more dynamic range and a variable aperture. All of which are massive improvements on the Mavic. It also does 100mbps bit rate for 4k meaning the quality is actually acceptable vs the mavics flickering 60mbps attempts.

Reactions: royalhghnss
Mavic owner here. Very satisfied with its flying capabilities and its portability but not with its image quality.

After having read all answers in this thread, somebody would choose Mavic for its portability or Phantom 4Pro if portability is not a priority and he is looking for a a much better image quality.

I guess, if Mavic 2 comes out with a superior camera, it will be another big success for DJI.

I'm a photographer and would love to have the camera quality the P4P has. But I came to the Mavic from a Phantom 3 and don't think I could go back to the Phantom family because of the size. It's just so much easier to take the Mavic with me and get it into the air quickly. I use it far more than I ever would a P4P.
We made the switch from a P3P and I agree - unless the camera on the P4 was WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY better than the Mavic (and I could tell the difference), I'd never consider it. The Phantom series seems huge, obnoxious, and clunky compared to the new kid on the block. I look for DJI to scale Phantom production way back in the future for these newer, smaller designs.

Reactions: Mavic 57

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming