DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you wish you had gotten the P4P instead?

Nope, saving for an Inspire. a real camera , adjustable aperture and different focal length lens. The software I currently have will work with it.

I won't be using it professionally. I am a serious photographer and rather picky about quality. Having said that, I am more likely to take my pocket camera and leave my DSLR and bag of lenses at home as I do more travel and hiking these days since retiring. No one has answered my questions about the early issues reported about the Mavic. Have these been resolved?

With all that you say, it sounds to me as though a Mavic is a pretty clear winner.

Bought Mavic rather than a Phantom for two main reasons, the Mavic is easy to transport due to its size, the Mavic is less conspicuous than the white Phantom.

I went with a MP because my other drone is a Q500 4K. Taking the Q500 along is like packing for a extra person! LOL! It takes great pictures,but is a PITA to setup/tear down each time you use it.

I also think that phantom is not as aesthetically pleasing to eye, for me anyway.

I have come into some "found" money, enough to buy a Mavic or P4 Pro. I am trying to decide between the two. To those who bought the Mavic: Do you miss the features of the P4P such as better video quality?
There were lots of discussions early on about out of focus, tilted sensors, watercolor images, and tilted horizons. Have these issues been resolved?
To those who own both, which would you buy now if you could only choose one?
I struggled for months on what to buy and I finally decided on the Mavic Pro. Best decision I have ever made and I would buy another Mavic before I buy a P4P. Not that I hate the P4P but I just love my Mavic Pro!

I love my Mavic. Best investment I've made in years. I'm going to love my new P4P+ when it arrives on Monday. It has a purpose to serve for me: wanting more and more of the best.

Well, the pocket camera is a Sony RX100 with a 1" sensor and 20 Mp.
still the same quality for portability that is the compromise u make with the mavic

also edited to say your one inch sensor is not a one inch sensor, as a proffesional you should know that one inch sensors do not actually exist on any compact. it is a fallacy that relies on a 50 year old conversion measure, your 13 x 8 sensor is way short of a true one inch sensor aka a DSLR even a crop frame DSLR is running a true one inch sensor at 23 x 16 let alone a full frame. and with a sensor that size and a limitation of iso low light shooting will be so far away from your full frame and with plenty of noise except for facebook size imaging. DSLR noise reduction is top of the tree yet still shows at 6400 which is your max on your pocket.

so as said quality for portability still stands

Last edited:
If you already have 7, why bother? She won't notice the Spark for the selfies, the P4P for the tight corners where you need the obstacle avoidance, the Mavic Pro to keep in the trunk, the Inspire 2 for the better videos and the M600 to carry the Hasselblad... [emoji41]
I have already made a small fortune with my drone hobby. Just ask me how.

I;ve only had my Mavic pro for a couple of weeks, but it has grown on me. I said in another post, My sons laughing at me heading out to fly, a massive back pack (P3A) on my back, & a purse on my belt with Mavic & 2 batteries!
As mentioned above, I don't think twice about grabbing the Mavic on my way out the door, portablitiy does win out.
Does anyone else find their Mavic being harassed by allot more birds than the P series?
I do!

I think everyone covered it well.

My first real drone experience (something other than a $20 toy) was the P4P. After a week of using it, I still wasn't happy with it. Everything felt cumbersome. Then I saw my friend's Mavic. Instant love. And jealousy. Returned the P4P and bought the Mavic. No regret.

I'm a pervert. So the mavic wins hands down.
I can climb trees and palm launch without getting noticed.
Its much more quieter and Its stealth in colour. Even the remote is hard to spot.
The controller is smaller and the screen is strategically mounted to make it easier to climb trees compared to the Phantom's cumbersome white top screen mounted controller.
And you can tell who has a phantom by the big bulky backpack. The mavic folds up into a small bag. This is great as you can blend back into the crowds if you are getting followed by the police.

I'm very happy with the Mavic. And for the things I can't do with the Mavic (very rare) I have an Inspire 2. Only other drone I'm considering is a Typhoon H520

The Mavic is easy to transport and takes excellent pictures. I bought a P3P when it was new, but I haven't used it or missed it since I got the Mavic.

Many of the Mavic's early issues have been resolved with the firmware updates.

Its focusing is still a bit iffy, but only because it's sometimes unclear whether it is auto-focusing or if you have to tap the screen. So I double-check it each time by tapping. The pictures are sharp.

Here's a recent shot from above Atlanta's Piedmont Park (yes, they allow it!). It's actually 5 shots merged with Photoshop's automerge feature. I added the slight dark gradation at the bottom of the picture with Adobe Bridge; it's not a camera flaw.

Panorama1_20170731Web.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut