DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you wish you had gotten the P4P instead?

In my opinion the only other DJI drone if rather have is an inspire 2. The speed and camera quality between the P4P and the mavic is negligible. I love my mavic and it is the only drone I fly on a regular basis. I fly my immersionrc vortex 250 pro when I want speed. I plan on flying my mavic for years to come.
Agree 100%. I would never buy any of the Phantoms. Even if the P4P was 1/2 the price of the Mavic, I'd still save up to buy the Mavic. And if I needed better photo/video quality, then I'd get the Inspire and stick a real camera on it ("real" meaning at least a micro 4/3 sensor).

P4P vs Mavic is just like DSLR vs "pocket camera". (Larger-sensored camera vs smaller-sensored camera.)

The Mavic (or pocket camera) can take "decent / good / very good" images (as judged by a given viewer using a given display device) in the non-demanding situations of:

1) good/bright lighting, and
2) situations where the brightest and darkest regions of an image are not too far apart

(And keeping in mind of course, that a "good" image is almost always more about subject/composition/lighting (in other words the photographer) than the actual equipment being used.)

In other words, a Mavic, in the hands of a skilled photographer, who can work within the limitations of the smaller sensor (see (1) and (2) above), and because he or she will likely have the Mavic with him or her more often, will almost ALWAYS be able to get a good/great shot with the Mavic...esp if the "display device" is Web/Instagram/Facebook/Youtube (as opposed to prints).

HOWEVER...

If that same photographer has access to a larger-sensored camera, in this case, the P4P, in the same situation, and especially if the light is relatively low and/or the dynamic range capability needed is high, that photographer will ALWAYS get an image with the P4P that is noticeably better looking, perhaps even to someone who might otherwise not be concerned with absolute image quality, than with a smaller-sensored camera, in this case, the Mavic.

You want the P4P if:

1) You or your audience will notice, or will demand/desire, the highest quality image.
2) You don't mind the extra weight/bulk.

You want the Mavic if:

1) You or your audience will not notice (or care if they do), that the image/video is not of the very best quality.
2) You want the most portable equipment you can find.

This is the exact same argument when choosing what size land-based camera to use. Lighter / cheaper / decent (depending on viewer), vs heavier / expensive / great, both in relation to what desire/demand/requirement the end viewer wants.

It's also why photographers and videographers typically have a "portfolio" of cameras / lenses...choosing each day which camera or cameras to take with them.

The DSLR to pocket camera comparison is a bit of a stretch. The P4P has a better lens and a better sensor, but they are only slightly better than the Mavic's lens. A better comparison would be a high end point and shoot camera like the Canon PowerShot G9 (1" sensor and bigger lens just like P4P) to a more basic point and shoot camera like the Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 (1/2.3" sensor and smaller lens just like Mavic). In a nutshell, both the P4P and the Mavic have "point and shoot" type lenses and sensors. Neither is anywhere close to the DSLRs.

Even the Inspire 2 with the X5S lens (top DJI lens for Inspire drones) is not quite the DSLR class. Close, but not quite.

I have come into some "found" money, enough to buy a Mavic or P4 Pro. I am trying to decide between the two. To those who bought the Mavic: Do you miss the features of the P4P such as better video quality?
There were lots of discussions early on about out of focus, tilted sensors, watercolor images, and tilted horizons. Have these issues been resolved?
To those who own both, which would you buy now if you could only choose one?

I have not owned both but I've had the FUN of owning both the MP and the P3A. P3A is a surprisingly good quadcopter but the Mavic is something I'm glad to have around when carrying a bulky load is an issue...which is almost always the case.

Well, in spite of the imperfections found in the MP, it's advantages far outweighs the negative. I almost always take my Mavic everywhere, same way as I did with my DSLR.

I still believe...fingers crossed...that DJI would come out with a FW update that would make it a nicer quadcopter to have!

Last edited:
P4P Pros
The P4P definitely has better video. I bought one while my MP was in for warranty service (for soft image on one side).
  • Sharper
  • Better contrast and colour
  • No video rolling shutter distortion due to movement (because of the mechanical shutter) or at least high speed readout from sensor.
  • Aperture control
  • Filter mount
The P4P definitely has better head wind margin, esp. (and obviously) in sport mode.

Endurance. The P4P has a fat battery. Fly it at mid range speeds and you'll be up there a long time. Not sure what my longest flight was (offhand) but definitely over 25 minutes.

I can "eyeball" track the P4P out to 800m (in good light) and even out to 900m if there is a good background contrast (treeline) and it's moving across the scene. 600 - 700 m is more typical.

I've had zero firmware update issues with the P4P, batteries and controller. Works every time, flawlessly and on the first go.

Collision sensors. The P4P has it all over the MP here. Hasn't "saved me" - but nice to know they are there.
P4P Cons
In windy/gusty conditions it's important that the high CofG P4P be facing (or tail to) the wind on takeoff or landing. The soft rubber pads on the skids are really grippy and a gust can easily tip the P4P - even just on initial motor start. In such conditions get it off the ground smartly. On landing: firmly with no delay to stop the motors. No accidents from this, but I've seen the P4P tipped over to 30° or more for a moment or 2.

Video downlink: crap compared to the MP regardless of band used. In some situations 2.4 GHz will out distance the the 5.8 GHz (esp. in rural areas), but in both the video down is pretty bad. Hard to be sure everything really is in focus.

DJI Goggles: The P4P (unless I ever buy the HDMI module and adaptors) is not a great experience.

Controller: heavy and bulky. I have setup a neckstrap to use with it, but even then tend to hold the controller higher in order to continually adjust for reflections or light. Tires the arms out quick.

Packed to go the P4P takes a lot of space in the car. I use the original case. Nice thing is the iPad mini fits in there perfectly.​

MP Pros
The MP has better video downlink by far and I've managed to fly it further away w/o getting signal issues (whether or not the P4P is at 2.4 or 5.8 GHz according to local interference conditions).

The MP is less bulky and quick to setup and pack away - though not as much better as one might expect - compared to the P4P. The P4P carrying case (original) takes a lot of space. An old, small, camera case is all I need for the MP with 2 extra batts and other odds and ends.​

The MP controller is much smaller, lighter and overall better than the P4P. In no small measure due to the primary information on the control display.​

So far, integration of the DJI goggles with the MP is fantastic. Especially when someone else wants to see what the MP sees.

The squat/low CoG MP is pretty immune to gusts on takeoff/landing.​

MP Cons
Video/still quality is very good, but not like the P4P, especially corner sharpness. The MP's warm spot issue is there in almost every video. It's rarely perceptible in the P4P.

Crappy means to mount a filter.

I lose sight of the MP at 400 m or so and often can't see it on return until well under 300 m. If there is background clutter it can disappear until light/clutter improve (usually need to climb up to see it again).

I don't think I've had even a single firmware session with the MP where something didn't go right w/o a second (or third) go.

Gimbal "upsets". I've had occasional gimbal upsets or resets in flight. Not often but I'd hate for a "money shot" to be ruined that way.

Occasional focus issues. Use AF to focus. It gets it and the promptly goes soft again.

Automobile charger: does not work well. It needs a steady 12.6V or higher DC voltage and on my car if the VR drops to not charging, then the voltage from the battery won't keep the charger going. I need to get a DC-DC converter to keep that voltage up (oddly enough heading over to a store that might have such after I post this).

More of a "nit" than a con: The "folding arms" configuration that leads to its fantastic portability also compromise its aerodynamics (power loading fore and aft and airflow impingement on body top in forward flight) and therefore endurance. But, the batteries are pretty high capacity - while I usually fly in the 15-20 minute band I've gone close to 25 minutes a few times.​

Well, that's my list.

I hope, this fall, to make some really nice video with both. I'm betting the P4P video will be better all around.

*Various edits since first posted.

Last edited:
The DSLR to pocket camera comparison is a bit of a stretch. The P4P has a better lens and a better sensor, but they are only slightly better than the Mavic's lens. A better comparison would be a high end point and shoot camera like the Canon PowerShot G9 (1" sensor and bigger lens just like P4P) to a more basic point and shoot camera like the Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 (1/2.3" sensor and smaller lens just like Mavic). In a nutshell, both the P4P and the Mavic have "point and shoot" type lenses and sensors. Neither is anywhere close to the DSLRs.

Even the Inspire 2 with the X5S lens (top DJI lens for Inspire drones) is not quite the DSLR class. Close, but not quite.

You're missing three important features of the P4P camera
  • Aperture setting
  • Mechanical shutter for video (up to 1/2000 shutter speed). (maybe not)
  • Filter mount
The first needs no explanation and the second eliminates object distortion due to camera movement.

And the MP shows a decided warm spot in the middle.

Since these are primarily video camera, comparing the sensors to DSLR is misleading. Even professional news cameras have rather small sensors compared to DSLR's.

Last edited:
Its been all said already, but for me (had a P3S for a week), it makes all the difference in the world to be able to put it all in my everyday backpack and fly at a moments notice.

You're missing three important features of the P4P camera
  • Aperture setting
  • Mechanical shutter for video (up to 1/2000 shutter speed).
  • Filter mount
The first needs no explanation and the second eliminates object distortion due to camera movement.

And the MP shows a decided warm spot in the middle.

Since these are primarily video camera, comparing the sensors to DSLR is misleading. Even professional news cameras have rather small sensors compared to DSLR's.

This is incorrect.

THE P4P has a faster sensor readout, yes, but the mechanical shutter found in the P4P is for stills only.

This is incorrect.

THE P4P has a faster sensor readout, yes, but the mechanical shutter found in the P4P is for stills only.

Could be. I was going on older information that implied a mechanical shutter for video as well. Current searches are ambiguous. A very fast readout sensor would come to (nearly) the same thing.

It certainly is fragile, one direct knock and you'll undoubtedly break something (as I found) but protect it with one of those gimbal shrouds and you should be fine (never use the clear gimbal cover if you want quality photos/video, though). I planted my MP in a tree the other day and the gimbal was fine (shroud on).

can you post a picture of this "shroud "...mni tnx for reply

What the **** are you talking abou

I have a standard P4 and Mavic and the P4 ***** all over the mavic hands down as far as video quality is concerned.
Thankyou.

absolutely, but I was making fun of the physical appearance of the Phantom...tongue in cheek.

I'd go with the Mavic. I think the only advantage the P4 Pro has is the camera performance on paper. In the real world I don't think you or anyone can tell the difference between pictures taken with one vs the other. I believe that pictures or video that I've taken that didn't come out well had little to do with whether I had taken them with a P4, Mavic, or Inspire and that the results would have had been the same on all them. More often than not it's my lack of knowledge about drone photography and video that is the reason for a picture or video that didn't turn out well. I agree with all the other reasons given by others as to why the Mavic is a better choice. Smaller, more Portable, drone and accessories are cheaper. I believe more batteries at a cheaper price to be far more valuable than a camera that performs better on paper. More fly time equals more pictures from different angles, altitudes, camera settings, etc.

Add to all the above the fact that the Mavic is less obtrusive in appearance and makes less noise which adds to the tolerance of the public towards drones...hopefully...

Add to all the above the fact that the Mavic is less obtrusive in appearance and makes less noise which adds to the tolerance of the public towards drones...hopefully...
Maybe... For extreme portability and unobtrusiveness... And don't shoot the messenger...
The Spark??
[emoji1]

I'd go with the Mavic. I think the only advantage the P4 Pro has is the camera performance on paper. In the real world I don't think you or anyone can tell the difference between pictures taken with one vs the other.

Side by side comparisons show the MP camera to be less sharp overall, have video recording artifacts (bandwidth issues) and definitely softer in the corners.

Okay, show a well done video from the MP and the audience won't say, "But, gee, couldn't that have been sharper?"

But to say it's a paper advantage is false.

As to to aperture control, well ... and is that important? Sure - one more tool to help get into the FPS/shutter speed sweet spot needed for smooth looking video.

Also dealing with filters for the MP is a major PITA.

As to me, when I'm done shooting (with both) the P4P video is always better looking.

Maybe... For extreme portability and unobtrusiveness... And don't shoot the messenger...
The Spark??
[emoji1]

I've seen the Spark fly yesterday evening for the first time....a beautiful steady and in sports mode fast little bugger, but the price difference, compared to the Mavic in fly more combo makes it a no brainer for me, I go Mavic..[emoji6]

Thanks all for your comments. I did purchase the Mavic and it arrived yesterday. Spent most of the day reading and calibrating everything. Got in one test flight before dark. Image quality looks good enough. Now I just need to find an Android phone that is large enough and bright enough to see with these old eyes.

I wish Mavic had the same camera capabilities of a P4 or that the P4 folded like the Mavic.

Okay, show a well done video from the MP and the audience won't say, "But, gee, couldn't that have been sharper?"

But to say it's a paper advantage is false...

I love the MP, but wouldn't it be fair to say that it's not just that the specs for the camera are better on paper, but that getting the P4P's output to look crisp is easier? Not having to do lots of tweaking (both in setting up and in post) is worth something. That said, the MP's portability, for many, outweighs this.

After over 300 flights my MP was stolen a few weeks ago and I'm not going to buy either until I see what the next product release from DJI holds, given that it feels like another release can't be too far away. But it's painful waiting.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Thanks all for your comments. I did purchase the Mavic and it arrived yesterday. Spent most of the day reading and calibrating everything. Got in one test flight before dark. Image quality looks good enough. Now I just need to find an Android phone that is large enough and bright enough to see with these old eyes.

I gave up on Android phones for the DJI GO 4 app. Too risky flying business..[emoji6] DJI doesn't seem to care.

I use my Ipad air 2....64gb, with only 12 gb left on memory, full of apps...works flawlessly. Ordered a tablet holder...will be more comfortable.

I've been flying a P4P for a year. I really enjoy it! But... it's kind of big/bulky. I have a "suitcase" for the bird, controller, batteries etc... I'm going to the Dominican Republic in a few weeks. It won't be the end of the world if I don't bring a drone but I kind of want to. The P4P case will be bigger than my regular luggage. So I'm thinking about getting a Mavic. I've always admired how easy it is to carry around. As was been mentioned in this thread, the P4P has a better camera so I'd prefer to use that for the best quality pictures but the average person isn't going to notice. The pictures and videos I've seen from Mavics look great. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to buy a Mavic for the trip then have it sit in my closet or if I buy it, will I want to use it instead of the P4P when I'm home? I'm thinking I'd be more likely to carry it in the car so I'd always have a drone with me.

I currently using my 10.5" iPad Pro. Will this fit in the tablet holder for the controller?

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird