DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone have Mini2 and Mini3 and could do photo comparison

TRogan42

Reactions
I would love to get my hand on:

Low light photo comparison at ISO 100, 200 ,400, 800, 1600, 3200 of the same roughly scene with manual White balance set to the same value on both drones?

Or at list low light photos at ISO 400, 800, 1600, 3200 to see the grain.

Reactions: DanMumford

Low light photo comparison at ISO 100, 200 ,400, 800, 1600, 3200 of the same roughly scene with manual White balance set to the same value on both drones?

No need for that, it already destroys air2s so difference with mini 2 is even greater
you can look at mini 2 and air2s comparisons and imagine the difference being even greater

When members start getting their hands on the mini 3 I’m sure
someone can give you what you ask for. 👍

Do you have any links to high ISO tests? air2s has 1-inch sensor thats really great news if true.

thanks a lot great video, I higly recommend watching not listening :)

ISO 1600 Mini3 vs Air2s

and another bit with ISO1600

No need for that, it already destroys air2s so difference with mini 2 is even greater
you can look at mini 2 and air2s comparisons and imagine the difference being even greater

I like your posts and you were one of the first to identify the major advantages of the new drone design and out front gimbal. However statements like this hurt your credibility when you say mini 3 “destroys” air 2s. The reality is the images look nearly identical between the two (a major feat for the cheaper and smaller mini!) but in some situations real images look slightly more natural with more dynamic range in the air 2s vs the mini. Further you have less color depth 8bit vs 10bit and some reviews have demonstrated how the d-cinelike mode doesn’t grade nearly as well as a result on the mini 3 causing banding in the results as a result of the less dynamic range and color depth vs the air 2s. Noise levels are much worse at higher ISOs on the Mini.

The real truth? These cameras are SO CLOSE to each that for MOST people they are the same thing and so you have to ask why you are paying significantly more for a much larger drone when you can get the Mini BUT there are some situations where Air 2S remains the superior camera and drone.

For reference I bought the Mini 3 Pro today but it doesn’t “destroy” the Air 2S.

i was speaking about photos, as the OP was asking specifically about that. Where the resolution difference and dynamic range difference is insane. People have confirmation bias because they already own certain drones. However, in general nobody would pick Air2S if the pictures were not labelled. To me that is destroy. Yes they are both good, but one is clearly better.

the fact that we have to bring in 10bit video in a thread asking about photos kind of proves my point I’d say

Reactions: Torque
From the videos above, at ISO 1600 Air2S image quality is better. Bottom line: Air2s has significantly less noise, about 1 stop difference.

In the video author talks about "crisp" image. I will take less noisy image anytime and then work on sharpness if neccessery in post production. "Crispness" might be subjectable due to 48MP size, but noise at 100% is quite visible.

Again situation might look different when using images stratight out of the drone ,mini3pro could have better images straight form the drone, I'm not arguing it.

I'm looking for best image "least noise" that I can use for full photoshop work later on. Sharpness is not that important as it can be very easly achieved in post. less noise = better

Reactions: richandhiscat
From the videos above, at ISO 1600 Air2S image quality is better. Bottom line: Air2s has significantly less noise, about 1 stop difference.

In the video author talks about "crisp" image. I will take less noisy image anytime and then work on sharpness if neccessery in post production. "Crispness" might be subjectable due to 48MP size, but noise at 100% is quite visible.

Again situation might look different when using images stratight out of the drone ,mini3pro could have better images straight form the drone, I'm not arguing it.

I'm looking for best image "least noise" that I can use for full photoshop work later on. Sharpness is not that important as it can be very easly achieved in post. less noise = better
Something to bear in mind is that the Mini 3 Pro has a faster F1.7 lens vs F2.8 on the Air 2S/M2P so while the Mini3 sensor may have more noise at the same iso, in practice it should be able to use a lower iso for the same exposure with a wider aperture. That of course doesn't help with dynamic range which looking at the DNGs from DPreview looks a bit behind the 1in sensors as would be expected given the different sizes although I'll be interested to see the measured DR.

I wasn't interested in the Mini 3 initially but starting to think it may be useful if it maintains the A1 rating in the UK after next January and might let me pack it and a mirrorless camera into a smaller backpack to carry on the bike rather than camera or drone like it is at the moment.

I wasn't interested in the Mini 3 initially but starting to think it may be useful if it maintains the A1 rating in the UK after next January and might let me pack it and a mirrorless camera into a smaller backpack to carry on the bike rather than camera or drone like it is at the moment.
Exactly my thoughts.
And while I am a tourist from continental Europe, it has become so easy, to do another special A2 supervised test for the UK (and other countries with similar regulations outside EU), as I already hold in EASA.

The Mini 3 Pro will be a perfect match for my photo backpack at home and abroad. While I still not consider my M2P to be too big, the regulations are just a pain which are all neatly ironed out with the Mini 3 Pro. :)

Reactions: test2000Anafi
Exactly my thoughts.
And while I am a tourist from continental Europe, it has become so easy, to do another special A2 supervised test for the UK (and other countries with similar regulations outside EU), as I already hold in EASA.

The Mini 3 Pro will be a perfect match for my photo backpack at home and abroad. While I still not consider my M2P to be too big, the regulations are just a pain which are all neatly ironed out with the Mini 3 Pro. :)

Mini3 might be great for nigh shoots, day shoots there will be no difference between Mini2 and Mini3

Mini3 might be great for nigh shoots, day shoots there will be no difference between Mini2 and Mini3
This isn't at all true because the larger sensor in the Mini 3 has a good bit more dynamic range than the Mini 2 which is frequently crucial with drones due to the often dark ground and bright skies. It's the main advantage to me for the bigger 1in sensor in the M2P and why I'd consider the Mini 3, looking at the samples on the DPreview site while the Mini 3's dynamic range can't quite match the bigger 1in sensor it still looks a solid improvement over a 1/2.3in sensor.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661