DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone here fly a DJI Mavic Mini and if so what range do you get?

Firstly welcome.
To answer your question. Yes I fly a Mavic Mini.
Control range? Anything from 0m to 2km+ (CE version).
They are sensitive to how accurately the controller's antennae are aimed at the drone and also what portion of the drone's antennae the controller's antennae are aimed at.
Overhead, with the controller's antennae 'seeing' the drone's landing feet, mine can loose connection when perhaps 50m high.
No drone likes trees, mountains, or large numbers of building in the line of sight between the controller's and drone's antennae.
Control range also depends of competing interference but generally I would say mine can exceed the range of my eye sight.

Reactions: itsblazy124
MM transmission is quite weak, spots where I used to lose connection after 200 meters with the Mini I can fly without any lag much further with the Mini 3 P. Too bad the RC is not compatible

I don't have a Mini myself, but instead a Mavic Air 1 which have the same transmission system (Enhanced WiFi).

You mainly have 4 thing's to consider when it comes to all DJI transmission systems (including DJI Enhanced WiFi & DJI Occusync) & range.

1. How you point the RC controller antennas. The flat side should always be pointing at the drone, not the tips. So if flying at a distance have them folded vertically, & if flying right above yourself, have them folded horizontally.

2. Choice of transmission frequency & penetration and risk for interference. If you have the possibility to chose between 2,4GHz & 5,8GHz you should know that 2,4 penetrate better & by that theoretically giving more range, but is very sensitive to interference from other WiFi signals. 5,8 penetrate slightly worse & by that gives a shorter range, but is less affected to interference as 5,8 isn't used as much as 2,4.

3. Totally free Line of transmission sight between the controller & drone is required. WiFi doesn't penetrate mountains, hills, houses & trees/forrests, the water in fully leaved trees mainly completely block WiFi signals.

Here a visual pic to show how obstacles, height & range are connected.

1687256170570.png

4. Signal extenders... if just speaking of the cheapest ones that just snaps onto the RC antennas (Yagi-Uda extenders), they make a difference by creating a more directional signal from the controller making you gaining some more range but in return the direction you point the controller will become even more important.

Here how Yagi-Uda looks on a DJI controller similar to what you have for your Mini. The one with long pins is for 2,4GHz & the one with shorter is for 5,8GHz (you don't have one of each on, instead decide which frequency you want to use on the controller & then put on the ones intended for that frequency on both antennas.)

1687256450809.png

I have reached out slightly over 4km with my Mavic Air 1 with Yagi-Uda, on 2,4GHz over a deserted farm land on 100m height... could have flown longer but had to turn depending on the remaining battery.

*EDIT* forgot to mention that the flown distance above with my Mavic Air 1 was done in FCC mode.

Last edited:
I get anywhere from 1/4 mile to 1 mile depending how many people around me are home running in-house items that interfere with signal. Always keep controller pointing at drone. If your drone turns side-ways to your controller your signal weakens also.

4 kilometers over open water.

Firstly welcome.
They are sensitive to how accurately the controller's antennae are aimed at the drone and also what portion of the drone's antennae the controller's antennae are aimed at.
Overhead, with the controller's antennae 'seeing' the drone's landing feet, mine can loose connection when perhaps 50m high.
No drone likes trees, mountains, or large numbers of building in the line of sight between the controller's and drone's antennae.
Control range also depends of competing interference but generally I would say mine can exceed the range of my eye sight.

Firstly welcome.
Thanks for your reply! It’s strange how you lose connection ascending. I can smoothly go the full 500m without dropping signal. But flying out with a clear view leads to FPV dropping after 700m

I don't have a Mini myself, but instead a Mavic Air 1 which have the same transmission system (Enhanced WiFi).

You mainly have 4 thing's to consider when it comes to all DJI transmission systems (including DJI Enhanced WiFi & DJI Occusync) & range.

1. How you point the RC controller antennas. The flat side should always be pointing at the drone, not the tips. So if flying at a distance have them folded vertically, & if flying right above yourself, have them folded horizontally.

2. Choice of transmission frequency & penetration and risk for interference. If you have the possibility to chose between 2,4GHz & 5,8GHz you should know that 2,4 penetrate better & by that theoretically giving more range, but is very sensitive to interference from other WiFi signals. 5,8 penetrate slightly worse & by that gives a shorter range, but is less affected to interference as 5,8 isn't used as much as 2,4.

3. Totally free Line of transmission sight between the controller & drone is required. WiFi doesn't penetrate mountains, hills, houses & trees/forrests, the water in fully leaved trees mainly completely block WiFi signals.

Here a visual pic to show how obstacles, height & range are connected.

View attachment 165388

4. Signal extenders... if just speaking of the cheapest ones that just snaps onto the RC antennas (Yagi-Uda extenders), they make a difference by creating a more directional signal from the controller making you gaining some more range but in return the direction you point the controller will become even more important.

Here how Yagi-Uda looks on a DJI controller similar to what you have for your Mini. The one with long pins is for 2,4GHz & the one with shorter is for 5,8GHz (you don't have one of each on, instead decide which frequency you want to use on the controller & then put on the ones intended for that frequency on both antennas.)

View attachment 165389

I have reached out slightly over 4km with my Mavic Air 1 with Yagi-Uda, on 2,4GHz over a deserted farm land on 100m height... could have flown longer but had to turn depending on the remaining battery.

*EDIT* forgot to mention that the flown distance above with my Mavic Air 1 was done in FCC mode.
Mate, thank you so much for putting your time and effort in to write this and share your information! Very helpful.

Thanks for your reply! It’s strange how you lose connection ascending. I can smoothly go the full 500m without dropping signal. But flying out with a clear view leads to FPV dropping after 700m
Uuum if you are talking about sending the drone up to 500m above the home point then you are almost certainly in violation of Australian law and sending the drone into the airspace intended for manned aircraft, please don't do that.
I would guess Australian law restrict you to 400ft/ 122m AGL, i.e. a string 400ft etc. long tied to the bottom of the drone must be able to touch the ground directly beneath the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661