DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone know If the DJI support names are fakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seem like it's going into sensitive territory/topic now. Just because someone is of Asian-descent and have a Western name, it does not mean he/she is being fake or deceptive. I think if you set you location to China and use their online support, their names would be in Chinese characters which you won't know how to pronounce. Not wise to pick a fault when there might not be.
Beside, when I call any business, like my bank or utilities company, 30 seconds into the conversation, I would've forgotten the name of the person I was talking to. I just want my question answered/problem resolved. And then I say "Thank You" before I hang up.

Reactions: deleted member 877
So called "phone names" are common practice in telemarketing, and customer service. As long as they consistently use the same phone name, it shouldn't matter. Some places only use operator ID numbers and dispense with names altogether. My DJI rep used one name on the phone and another in his emails, and ultimately told me the email name was his nickname! I thought I was getting conflicting emails from an assistant of his. Still not sure what to believe, but ultimately, he solved my problem!

Names and name formats vary hugely from culture to culture so trying to shoehorn everything into one (and a western) approach doesn't work.

I live and work in Asia currently where a large chunk of people i deal with are chinese or at least ethnic chinese.
Their name structure is utterly different to ours and due to the language structures themselves (tonal) are hard or impossible for an untrained foreigner to say remotely correctly and certainly not write it down and spell it in a different alphabet with any form of consistency.
As a result they all adopt an English name (in their words). Often this is done when very young and just starting school and they end up keeping this westernised identity for life.
It means they can be referred to accurately and consistently in both spoken and written formats.

To vary further, Arabic style names for example are basically a family tree as opposed to anything else. The various word endings are son of / who was son of xxx, who himself was son of yyyyy etc. Add the religious influence where most first names are taken from a very small pool and you get a lot of people with similar or identical names. The net result is pretty much everyone adopts a nickname, usually based on a job or hobby to distinguish themselves. They use this nickname both with westerners and each other. In fact, usually the only time they'll use the full birth name is on official paperwork.
I spent the best part of 5 years in that region and just as an example i worked with 7 people, all unrelated,all with the same first name. Every one of them had their own chosen nickname and nobody ever referred to their "real" name at all.
Go into an area wanting a specific person such as asking "Hi, has anyone seen Mohammed?" is not going to do anything except give about 40 false positives. Go into the same area and ask for "Barracuda" or whatever and you'll get a lot luckier!

You haven't even got to go that far for it. For example even in Greek (where a large chunk of English originates from) they lack the Ch sound and as a result have no fixed, approved method of writing it down consistently. My official paperwork where they'd transposed my name into greek was different on every document depending on who wrote it.

Note this is different from say call centre operators in India where the people are told they must develop a persona from the country they're fielding calls from and even things like check out the daily weather forecast and latest TV drama plot lines for a friendly conversation with the person the other end.

As someone else wrote above, i don't really care about the name of who im talking to when im talking to a call centre. All i want is (i) my issue resolved and (ii) a case ID number in the event i need to follow it back up.
When i started working in the Caribbean and the main customer base became American all of us British people got told by management we had to start answering the phone by giving our real names in addition to the company name and so on - this was an alien concept to a lot of us (and one we stopped doing immediately after leaving!).

After all that, i still think the DJI support arent people as such. Theres a bot/ai level first response from a script that often misunderstands the key words and posts something irrelevant. If that thread is quoted or replied it gets shifted up to the 2nd tier where a real person takes over the reply to actually formulate a non scripted response.
There are likely a few all out real person accounts but most are just shared script/level 1or 2 support joint accounts.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Again, it matters because the company is hiding their true identity, which shouldnt be the case. If they employ 100% of their workforce from China, I have no problem with that. its the fact that they hide it. Makes me not trust them.

Also, it saddens me that people don't use their 'real' names because of 'company' policy. Makes me not agree with their policy. I would be more than happy to use their real name had I been given that option, if i cannot pronounce, maybe i can learn. I think no one should be forced to lie about their name.

The name itself does not affect the level of service, but in some instances they cannot relate to my experiences as they are not located in North America, or are native english speakers, which is OK... but having a 'Westerner' name gives me the sense that maybe they are.. where as if they didn't I would know they have different customs and experiences, in this case, it does affect how they help out a customer.

My policy is honesty is the best policy. I've often asked them, I'd like to call you by your 'real name' and often they respond by saying they cannot tell me, and then go on to read a scripted line provided by the company.

I strongly believe DJI is deceving customers about their employees.

Again, it matters because the company is hiding their true identity, which shouldnt be the case. If they employ 100% of their workforce from China, I have no problem with that. its the fact that they hide it. Makes me not trust them.

Also, it saddens me that people don't use their 'real' names because of 'company' policy. Makes me not agree with their policy. I would be more than happy to use their real name had I been given that option, if i cannot pronounce, maybe i can learn. I think no one should be forced to lie about their name.

The name itself does not affect the level of service, but in some instances they cannot relate to my experiences as they are not located in North America, or are native english speakers, which is OK... but having a 'Westerner' name gives me the sense that maybe they are.. where as if they didn't I would know they have different customs and experiences, in this case, it does affect how they help out a customer.

My policy is honesty is the best policy. I've often asked them, I'd like to call you by your 'real name' and often they respond by saying they cannot tell me, and then go on to read a scripted line provided by the company.

I strongly believe DJI is deceving customers about their employees.
So now we have the assumption they can't help you because of differences in customs and experiences? Your concerns as articulated to date are that DJI have 100% Chinese workforce (false) and are forcing employees to lie about dentity to hide fact they are 100% Chinese workforce (you have no evidence for this).

You seriously think that because the reps might not be located in North America and might not speak English as a first language they can't help you? That is what you are implying and to that extent it would seem to be demonstrative of an almost astounding level of ridiculousness. Your position here is asinine.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Guys before this gets to heated I am going to close it.dos30bc_8036fb8cf8ced41ca30858df79e7e9af8221ec4f.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak