DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone make a “skin” that isn’t just a series of vinyl stickers?

svenmarbles

Reactions
I remember that I had a stretchy silicone “glove” style cover for the Spark. I really liked it.

I want a protective layer for the drone itself and I’m just really not a fan of these sticker packs everyone sells..

Is there anyone out there making anything better?

Here is why you dont want stretchy silicone “glove”

When we first made the Wet Suit for the Phantom 4 Pro we made it out of Silicone and Put a Neoprene top on it , it was beautiful and Catastrophic . it was 4mm thick and it fit tight around the Phantom.

The first problem was that the GPS was affected by the Silicone , as was the communication of the intelligent flight battery .

Not only that no matter how tight we made it fit , air could get under the Silicone and flip the drone into a nose dive.
This is how we lost our first phantom 4 , with the Getterback failing to expand..

Silicone proved to be a very difficult material to work with and had more negative side effect to the drone.

That is when we realized how important it was that the material be thin , really thin 1.5 mm and had to have adhesive to bond to the drone so no wind could get inside or under it.

That is why you will not find many glove like covers on a drone, its bad news.

Because we used such thin Neoprene we were able to cover the drone and the battery without any GPS or Performance issues which became really important as the intelligent batteries have to connect with the Controller. .and keeping the weight of the wet suit under a half an ounce.

So some caution on Silicone .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Drone in the rain and float on water.

Last edited:
I’d listen to Mr Phantomrain .
I get the impression he knows what he is doing with his drone rain jacket ? ‘s .!!
I think he is the guy you should talk too or move to Canada where it never rains !! .

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I can vouch for the wet suit.
Bought mine after getting caught in a rain shower that to be honest wasn't heavy for about 4 minutes
Took battery off and was shocked at the water inside.

Cheers Mel

I’d consider one of the wetsuit covers, not really because I’m concerned with the rain as much, but because they do make for an overall nice “skin”, but they’re just way too expensive.

@phantomrain don’t you think you’d sell a lot more of them at a more reasonable price? I think you’re pricing yourself out a bit....

I’d consider one of the wetsuit covers, not really because I’m concerned with the rain as much, but because they do make for an overall nice “skin”, but they’re just way too expensive.

@phantomrain don’t you think you’d sell a lot more of them at a more reasonable price? I think you’re pricing yourself out a bit....

A good wrap grade is $50 and that is just for 1 color design and zero function.
We give the forum members 4 Color Designs and 3 Battery covers and 3 Power Button seals and discount the Rescue Jackets ;

I think $94.95 is good price for design and function and to be able to switch out color designs when you want something different and protect 3 of your Batteries.

If you just want 1 color design : 1 battery cover we can discount for you :

What design color :
Trauma 1
Orca
Neon Tac
Lunar Purple compliments of { Cody Shoaf } presently posting some astonishing extreme weather pics: @ itsneedtokno
Black

Last edited:
I’d listen to Mr Phantomrain .
I get the impression he knows what he is doing with his drone rain jacket ? ‘s .!!
I think he is the guy you should talk too or move to Canada where it never rains !! .
It never rains in Canada??? Where you getting your info from? Vancouver is considered a rain forest.
We get more rain than Seattle and we're only 2+ hours apart.
What follows 2 days of rain in Vancouver?
Monday.

A good wrap grade is $50 and that is just for 1 color design and zero function.
We give the forum members 4 Color Designs and 3 Battery covers and 3 Power Button seals and discount the Rescue Jackets ;

I think $94.95 is good price for design and function and to be able to switch out color designs when you want something different and protect 3 of your Batteries.

If you just want 1 color design : 1 battery cover we can discount for you :

What design color :
Trauma 1
Orca
Neon Tac
Lunar Purple compliments of { Cody Shoaf } presently posting some astonishing extreme weather pics: @ itsneedtokno
Black

What is the offer to just get the set of 1?

Last edited:

The better way to assess if an entity is “pricing itself out of the market” is to compare the product to other offerings with similar or better performance/features and lower cost.

Can i just say
I bought the wetsuit after water ingress into the battery compartment of my ma2 after a short while flying in a rain shower.
When I received the wetsuit my initial reaction was wow I've totally been ripped off.
You look at it and think definitely not worth the money.
I considered complaining about it but then said to myself don't be doing things like that without trying it first
Honest opinion
Had 2 of the battery covers tear which after speaking to phantomrain were replaced immediately with a plausible explanation as to why they ripped.
The bits for the legs in my opinion are not needed at all and in my case come off the more you use the drone folding the legs.
Have flown in heavier rain that caused water ingress and no water gets past the suit.
A new battery costs about the same as the wetsuit and you can fly it with the certain knowledge that water will not get past the skin
Would I recommend it.
Yed

Not raggin on anyone but personally I would never "intentionally" fly my $1,000+ drone in the rain. Admittedly I did get caught in the rain once shortly after purchasing my MA2 back in mid May 2020. I had flown about 1/2 mile out when the rain hit me. That situation was completely my fault for not paying closer attention to the rain clouds approaching me from behind before taking off. I didn't panic (well, not much) just kicked it into sport mode and hauled booty back to where I took off from. No water got inside the battery area and I used compressed air to blow out any water or moisture from the camera and motor areas. The next day I made a few short distance test flights; all good, so I extended the flight range to 2-miles just to make sure. Again, all good with no problems whatsoever. My MA2 is still flying like a champ but nowadays I pay more attention to the weather and if I see rain clouds coming my way (even from a distance) I pack it up and head home to ensure my drone lives to fly another day but, that's just me and how I roll. ?

Reactions: Bob1956
Has anyone tried painting a Mavic ? I don't think it would work but I'm sure somebody made the attempt.

Not raggin on anyone but personally I would never "intentionally" fly my $1,000+ drone in the rain. Admittedly I did get caught in the rain once shortly after purchasing my MA2 back in mid May 2020. I had flown about 1/2 mile out when the rain hit me. That situation was completely my fault for not paying closer attention to the rain clouds approaching me from behind before taking off. I didn't panic (well, not much) just kicked it into sport mode and hauled booty back to where I took off from. No water got inside the battery area and I used compressed air to blow out any water or moisture from the camera and motor areas. The next day I made a few short distance test flights; all good, so I extended the flight range to 2-miles just to make sure. Again, all good with no problems whatsoever. My MA2 is still flying like a champ but nowadays I pay more attention to the weather and if I see rain clouds coming my way (even from a distance) I pack it up and head home to ensure my drone lives to fly another day but, that's just me and how I roll. ?

The idea behind the Wet Suit is for those who make money with there drone, The number of drones used for every day flying is immense , Thus this is a fantastic tool to fly rain or shine.

There is no denying the videos and pictures that get the most views, are ones related to Nature and Storms .

Having to call and cancel because you see clouds will just not go over well with your clients.
it goes like this , I have to cancel because I would never fly my $1000 drone in rain, Client says : Its not raining. ;)

• Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eastoncrafter