DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone successfully use a Portable Generator to charge their Mavic 2 batteries in the field ?

Presumably the Jackery and Goal Zero type solutions, will not charge the drone batteries simultaneously. (When I do the calcuations, this has a big impact on how many missions I can run back to back)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the brilliant answers -I learnt such a lot here: the potential solutions and the pros and cons of each. Now time to head to the hire shop to see, test and trial some.

Settled for charging one at a time, largely as per the tips in this thread🙂 Charging simultaneously proved to be thwart with problems or significantly higher expense, or both! 😖

When you are passing the $350 in a solution for the field let me thinking is much better get an inverter.

An inexpensive one:

Another excellent option with good quality and quiet. Honda EU1000i 1000W

When you are passing the $350 in a solution for the field let me thinking is much better get an inverter.

An inexpensive one:

Another excellent option with good quality and quiet. Honda EU1000i 1000W
Using an inverter is wasting energy. There is no reason to go from 12vdc to 110vac and back to your drone battery voltage. Using a DC charger is much more efficient.

Mike

Using an inverter is wasting energy. There is no reason to go from 12vdc to 110vac and back to your drone battery voltage. Using a DC charger is much more efficient.

Mike
Those are inverter generators, not 12 V power inverters. There is no 12 V supply involved - they generate 110 VAC and then you use a regular 110 V DJI or third-party charger.

Reactions: zeusfl
I use one of the Honda EU2200i (2200W) with an iCHARGER DUO 4010 for charge my Mikado XXTreme 800 helicopter that has 2 7S 5500 mah batteries on the field. So powerful that kick a regular 15A 125V house fuse if I charge at full power. I had to use a minimum of 20A fuse. The inverter companion model has 30A.

But for drones batteries that is not a problem.

I have a Honda EU2200i and a Yamaha EF2000iS, either of which will comfortably feed my CDC PRCS 4-battery parallel charger, which pulls around 700 W with 4 batteries fast charging simultaneously. Obviously you could also power a regular DJI charger with either of those generators.

Those generators each weigh just under 50 lbs, so not really suitable for hiking though.
Same here. My Honda 2200 powers the chargers and any external lighting I may require

I raise this as a new thread, because the similar threads are about suggestions of possible solutions, but Amazon feedback frequently shows that the possibly suitable generators, turn out to be unsuitable for one technical reason or another. Hence the question, does any one ACTUALLY use portable generator to successfully charge their Mavic 2 batteries in the field? and if so - which generator do you use please? Thanks
I've used my Honda EU2000i for a/c power out in the field on occasions when the site I'm shooting is either abandoned or totally off-grid. This is for charging purposes - batteries / laptop / tablet flight screens. I can also make sure I'm properly topped up with fresh espresso as well. As already mentioned, make sure it is an INVERTER genny that outputs pure sine wave... stepped will damage delicate electronics. Better to plug a 5/6 way quality surge protector extension lead direct to the a/c output and then plug all the kit you want to use into the extension lead. Belt & braces with a/c.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS