DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

does someone have the right to shoot down a drone in CA?

bandti7

Reactions
I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm not able to find a answer for my specific questions. So basically There is a mountain I want to look at with my drone. Now I figured I shouldn't fly it into someone's yard because people get hissy pissy about that kind of stuff. So I thought to my self all just take off from the street and do my best to keep it over the street as I fly really high. I turn it on and some guy yells out "you launch that drone someone will shoot it down. I raise my hands in the air like come on man... I was about say something and he says again in a more frustrated tone as he starts to walk closer to me in his yard. "You launch that drone someone is going to shoot it down. I raise my hands in the air again and just say ok man. He raises his hands in the air and said well you didn't say anything! I said I tried to the first time but you wouldn't let me! So I pick my drone up off the street and leave. Honestly I believe he had no right. Because the way he was acting. Again I never planned on flying over yards... I don't even have a SD card in the drone xP so it's not like I'm going to take photos or videos.

You can’t discharge a firearm, gun, in and around houses. I’d call the police!

I believe the law is the home owner has right to air space eighty feet above his home.

Reactions: Underpressure
The effective range of a 12 gauge shotgun is around fifty horizontal yards at best you add moving, shooting vertical and I’d say hitting a Drone drops to 0% at say 400 feet. A rifle hitting a moving target shooting vertically 5%. I’d say go for it!!!

[emoji106][emoji41]

Reactions: Thwyllo and Porky
The only people who MIGHT have authority to shoot it down would me military or law enforcement in certain (extreme) conditions. You are operating an AIRCRAFT and shooting it down is a federal offense

what law is that and where?

Read the article on eighty feet on this site. It involved a home owner shooting at RC aircraft over his home. Great research project for you! I never fly that low myself. Being a hobbyist in a rural setting I fly from 500 - 1600 feet

Read the article on eighty feet on this site. It involved a home owner shooting at RC aircraft over his home. Great research project for you! I never fly that low myself. Being a hobbyist in a rural setting I fly from 500 - 1600 feet
Thanks dad :rolleyes:
YOU mentioned the law, is it that difficult to actually explain yourself or link to what you're talking about? I have more important things to do than search around on this site looking for opinions from armchair lawyers or find whatever article you're referencing on these forums. The condescension is also unnecessary.

From the little bit of searching I've done online it seems like you better have a darn good reason for shooting a drone out of the sky whether it's over your property or not.
To Shoot or Not to Shoot? The Legality of Downing a Drone | News & Resources | Dorsey

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby Brown
Threads like this will always “opens up a can of warms” with different opinions on the subject.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bobby Brown
Thanks dad :rolleyes:
YOU mentioned the law, is it that difficult to actually explain yourself or link to what you're talking about? I have more important things to do than search around on this site looking for opinions from armchair lawyers or find whatever article you're referencing on these forums. The condescension is also unnecessary.

From the little bit of searching I've done online it seems like you better have a darn good reason for shooting a drone out of the sky whether it's over your property or not.
To Shoot or Not to Shoot? The Legality of Downing a Drone | News & Resources | Dorsey

Be nice. Son you can be too critical!

Dad

if a fool shoots at or brings down a drone with a gun. said shooter better pray there is no video of the crime. fed, state, and local laws apply here.
It Is A Federal Crime To Shoot Down A Drone, Says FAA
18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities

and NO a street cop. will never have the right, or authority to shoot down a drone. (see above).
taking pictures and video is legal, as long as done from a respectable distance as to not get in the way or endanger anyone.
find out the pilot and detain him/her. Yes.
arrest if said drone was interfering with them.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM