DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the Air support D-Log?

humptyjumped

Reactions
Hi there - First Post

I have been searching everywhere and cant find if you can shoot D-Log with the Mavic Air. Does anyone know?

Yea, not sure where he's pulling the spec from but he seems to know his drones.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 3.20.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 3.20.07 PM.png
    576.1 KB · Views: 75
I have read Cine-D, yes but D-Log no.

Thats fine. Even if it had Log, i would not use it. I shoot and color grade Log often on my GH5, A7S-II and FS700. These cameras have 12 and 14 stops of dynamic range to handle intense Log curves recording to 4k 10bit ProRes. (GH5+FS700)

The Mavic Air and Pro have very tiny cell phone sensors, they dont have a high signal to noise ratio and have highly compressed 8bit CODECs. Shooting Log on these little guys is just too much stress on an already challanged CODEC. When you normalize this to rec709, you get potentialy heavy banding and more artifacts.

Even with my P4P and its excellent 1inch-type sensor, i still only shoot Cine-D and drop the contrast -1 or -2 with saturation at -1.

Does anybody know if the Air has contrast and saturation controls? They are not on the Spark.

Well I now have a Mavic Air and can confirm unfortunately it does not have D-Log.

Can I send it back?

Why would anybody actually want D-LOG off a tiny 1/2.3 sensor that is fairly noisy? Anybody that shoots D-Log on these things is shooting themselves in the foot. Shooting in Cine-D is plenty flat and captures all the dynamic range these little sensors can put out already. Shooting an even flatter gamma curve with D-Log really brings nothing new to the table....it only adds more stress to this 8bit CODEC when color grading back to rec709 video levels. And again,..what do you get for all that over Cine-D? Nothing. Only more banding and compression artifacts.

Reactions: crnee
Why would anybody actually want D-LOG off a tiny 1/2.3 sensor that is fairly noisy? Anybody that shoots D-Log on these things is shooting themselves in the foot. Shooting in Cine-D is plenty flat and captures all the dynamic range these little sensors can put out already. Shooting an even flatter gamma curve with D-Log really brings nothing new to the table....it only adds more stress to this 8bit CODEC when color grading back to rec709 video levels. And again,..what do you get for all that over Cine-D? Nothing. Only more banding and compression artifacts.

I disagree somewhat. Mavic pro and D-log with correct camera settings and grading produces good result.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_