DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the DJI Mavic Air 2 Have whatever Antenna is required to have Remote ID?

Hello, Does the DJI Mavic Air 2 Have whatever Antenna is required to have Remote ID?
It does have a *receive* antenna. That is how it picks up other aircraft in the vicinity. This is the ADSB System.

The Air 2 would have to be modified to also transmit on it. Significant circuitry would have to be added. I do not know what that would take. It is not a trivial thing to achieve.

This is based on my electronics experience and knowledge. I have been an Amateur Radio Operator since 1980. I do currently build and repair surface mount boards.

• Haha
Reactions: rickmurray1989
It does have a *receive* antenna. That is how it picks up other aircraft in the vicinity. This is the ADSB System.

The Air 2 would have to be modified to also transmit on it. Significant circuitry would have to be added. I do not know what that would take. It is not a trivial thing to achieve.

This is based on my electronics experience and knowledge. I have been an Amateur Radio Operator since 1980. I do currently build and repair surface mount boards.
Uh, no. RID is completely different from ADSB. MOST of the information is already transmitted during the communication between the drone and controller.

Hello, Does the DJI Mavic Air 2 Have whatever Antenna is required to have Remote ID?
Yes. Remote ID can be implemented as a custom data packet going over the Wi-Fi frequencies. The hardware is already in place to support that.

The Air 2 will be RID compliant by 12/31/23. We are still waiting on the FAA to determine if compliance enforcement will be delayed.

Last edited:
Uh, no. RID is completely different from ADSB. MOST of the information is already transmitted during the communication between the drone and controller.
The RID *is* trans by/part of ADSB!

The signals ARE on 1090MHZ!

This IS the method for RID by ALL aircraft providing an ID signal that the FAA *CAN* receive and track!

Folks really need to understand exactly what RID means, and WHAT the frequency being used!

The FAA has even required 70s Cessna and Piper aircraft to now transmit ADSB! Even though their altitude is WRONG!!

Been working with transmit and receive electronics since 1980!

I can and HAVE built antennas for this!

The Air 2 will be RID compliant by 12/31/23. We are still waiting on the FAA to determine if compliance enforcement will be delayed.

YES!!

I had given up hope. Last I checked in it looked like it wasn't in the cards for the Air 2.

Was afraid I'd have to shoehorn on some external module.

Reactions: Starz
Would LIKE this to be on the FAA WEBSITE!

At UAV Expo is meaningless!
It's not "meaningless" as it was said by an FAA official there to represent the agency. A clip can bee seen in this video.

An formal announcement with the details of what they're actually doing is expected before the 16th.

And WOAH, you sure like your exclamation points. Every line in your last two posts ends with one. Maybe try decaf? :p

It's not "meaningless" as it was said by an FAA official there to represent the agency. A clip can bee seen in this video.

An formal announcement with the details of what they're actually doing is expected before the 16th.

And WOAH, you sure like your exclamation points. Every line in your last two posts ends with one. Maybe try decaf? :p
What the first couple of minutes, I tend to believe him:

What the first couple of minutes, I tend to believe him:

It's not clear exactly what they're planning as there hasn't been a formal announcement with details.
BUT they're acknowledging the limited supply of RID modules and are going to do something. Just what that is, we will find out.

Reactions: mavic3usa

Decaf is NOT an issue.

Those are MEANT to get attention. Sometimes it MAY take a hammer for folks to get things.

Just a VIDEO won't make it FIRM.

Needs to be ON FAA Website!

It's not clear exactly what they're planning as there hasn't been a formal announcement with details.
BUT they're acknowledging the limited supply of RID modules and are going to do something. Just what that is, we will find out.
The "lack" of clarity IS the issue.

Need the FAA to ISSUE a formal statement on the FAA Website.

Otherwise, it IS meaningless drivel given at an UAV Expo.

Believe what you will, personally I don't go with fairy tales!

Talk is cheap! Takes DOCUMENTATION to have real value.

The "lack" of clarity IS the issue.

Need the FAA to ISSUE a formal statement on the FAA Website.

Otherwise, it IS meaningless drivel given at an UAV Expo.

Believe what you will, personally I don't go with fairy tales!

Talk is cheap! Takes DOCUMENTATION to have real value.
They announced today. It's official! Yay!

They announced today. It's official! Yay!

NOTE *DISCRETIONARY*!

Therefore - NOT supposedly OKAY!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123