DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the DJI Mavic 2 Pro Have whatever Antenna is required to have Remote ID?

I'm going to say it does but ultimately it's not going to matter to the pilot if DJI obtains approval with the FAA with a DoC.

This should answer your questions.

Reactions: MA2 317
Does the DJI Mavic 2 Pro Have whatever Antenna is required to have Remote ID?
All DJI drones have the required antennas needed to transmit Remote ID data. However, only the drones on this list have been approved by the FAA.

The Mavic 2 Pro is not currently on that list and is not able to transmit Remote ID data. Per the link @mobilehomer shared above, DJI is planning on adding support by December 31, 2023. Once available, that will require you to install the latest firmware on your drone.

Hello, Does the DJI Mavic 2 Pro Have whatever Antenna is required to have Remote ID?
Yes. Remote ID can be implemented as a custom data packet going over the Wi-Fi frequencies. The hardware is already in place to support that.

This should answer your questions.
Extremely Disappointing to see that my Mavic 2 Pro will have Tracking updated to it. Thanks for the help.

Extremely Disappointing to see that my Mavic 2 Pro will have Tracking updated to it
What's disappointing about that? You now won't have to purchase and attach an external RID transmitter.

Extremely Disappointing to see that my Mavic 2 Pro will have Tracking updated to it. Thanks for the help.
I guess you don't have to do the RID firmware update when it comes out. But I don't see it as a bad thing since you won't need to buy an external RID module. I see that as a plus, not a disappointing thing. But that's just me.

Reactions: Jander5212011
I guess you don't have to do the RID firmware update when it comes out. But I don't see it as a bad thing since you won't need to buy an external RID module. I see that as a plus, not a disappointing thing. But that's just me.
I can't speak for the poster but from what I read in other places and from what I've heard thru various YT rants, people who want to continue to fly their drones "anonymously" will stand a better chance to go ahead and fly and ask for forgiveness later if their particular drone does not offer standard RID. I think there are many people who plan to say they looked everywhere and cannot find a [affordable] compatible broadcast module so they at least "made an effort."

Look at it this way, to fly legally your Mavic 2 has to be registered under your [recreational] account. Today, you can click NO in the RID box and keep flying. On September 16, nothing in the database changes for you so technically your registration remains valid. However, when December 31 arrives and standard RID is made available, all recreational Mavic 2 registrations will need to create a new entry in their inventory and apparently will need to be marked YES for RID and include the RID# (standard or broadcast) and remove the old entry.

We don't know for sure if the Mavic 2 will continue to fly on old sw when the new sw is available. If you have the option not to update and you can still fly and do so without broadcast module, technically your [NO] registration is invalid. Flying without a valid registration is risky, flying without RID....not so much. Will the FAA database actually work this way or enforce this effort? Probably not. Rogue flyers are depending on it.

I can't speak for the poster but from what I read in other places and from what I've heard thru various YT rants, people who want to continue to fly their drones "anonymously" will stand a better chance to go ahead and fly and ask for forgiveness later if their particular drone does not offer standard RID. I think there are many people who plan to say they looked everywhere and cannot find a [affordable] compatible broadcast module so they at least "made an effort."

Look at it this way, to fly legally your Mavic 2 has to be registered under your [recreational] account. Today, you can click NO in the RID box and keep flying. On September 16, nothing in the database changes for you so technically your registration remains valid. However, when December 31 arrives and standard RID is made available, all recreational Mavic 2 registrations will need to create a new entry in their inventory and apparently will need to be marked YES for RID and include the RID# (standard or broadcast) and remove the old entry.

We don't know for sure if the Mavic 2 will continue to fly on old sw when the new sw is available. If you have the option not to update and you can still fly and do so without broadcast module, technically your [NO] registration is invalid. Flying without a valid registration is risky, flying without RID....not so much. Will the FAA database actually work this way or enforce this effort? Probably not. Rogue flyers are depending on it.
That's right, I always forget about the tinfoil hat bunch out there that never found a conspiracy theory they couldn't latch onto.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
That's right, I always forget about the tinfoil hat bunch out there that never found a conspiracy theory they couldn't latch onto.

I'm in another batch albeit similar to what you are describing:

I am not going to update my M2Z or M2P because I don't want the current FW updated due to certain "enhancements" both aircraft currently have. I'm not anti-RID but I am anti-FW Update 100% .

Reactions: Starz and AMann
I'm in another batch albeit similar to what you are describing:

I am not going to update my M2Z or M2P because I don't want the current FW updated due to certain "enhancements" both aircraft currently have. I'm not anti-RID but I am anti-FW Update 100% .
Ugh - I'll be happy just sticking to using my DroneTag BS RID module, what if that DJI M2P RID update makes serious FW changes including a new SDK that disables Litchi and other aftermarket control programs? :(

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Ugh - I'll be happy just sticking to using my DroneTag BS RID module, what if that DJI M2P RID update makes serious FW changes including a new SDK that disables Litchi and other aftermarket control programs? :(
Bingo! That's exactly why I'll be using my the Drone Tag Beacon for my UAS operations.

Reactions: AMann
what if that DJI M2P RID update makes serious FW changes including a new SDK that disables Litchi and other aftermarket control programs?
Is that even a thing? The point of the SDK is to allow 3rd parties to access the aircraft hardware. If DJI accidentally did break the functionality though, I don't think Litchi and others would upgrade to that version of the SDK until those bugs have been resolved.

Reactions: AMann
Is that even a thing? The point of the SDK is to allow 3rd parties to access the aircraft hardware. If DJI accidentally did break the functionality though, I don't think Litchi and others would upgrade to that version of the SDK until those bugs have been resolved.
Yeah but look what they did with the Mavic 3 SDK’s…. All locked up unless you want an enterprise version.

Hello, Does the DJI Mavic 2 Pro Have whatever Antenna is required to have Remote ID?
QueenAng,
The FAA list is pretty dynamic and the list of current compliance for drones is constantly changing. The list will show compliant drones with built in RID as well as certified add on compliance devices. You can find the document in the following link to FAA site. You can search your aircraft by MFG. If it's not here it's NOT compliant. UAS Declaration of Compliance
I'm not one to trust websites so I go to source. You will also need this RID serial number to do next step which is register / update registration with FAA . I hope that helps. However, if your less than 250grams there are some exceptions to RID depending on if you registered.

QueenAng,
The FAA list is pretty dynamic and the list of current compliance for drones is constantly changing. The list will show compliant drones with built in RID as well as certified add on compliance devices. You can find the document in the following link to FAA site. You can search your aircraft by MFG. If it's not here it's NOT compliant. UAS Declaration of Compliance
I'm not one to trust websites so I go to source. You will also need this RID serial number to do next step which is register / update registration with FAA . I hope that helps. However, if your less than 250grams there are some exceptions to RID depending on if you registered.
Unfortunately I can no longer point anyone to the government list since it is not correct and inaccurate. I think if something happens to show up on the list then it is likely true but just because your drone or your S/N cannot be found in the list doesn't mean it doesn't have RID.

For example, there is no DoC for the Air 3 but we all know the Air 3 has everything needed for standard RID. The Mavic 3 Pro is listed and the date of the DoC precedes the launch date so why is the Air 3 so late? My DJI FPV won't lift-off without my phone attached, says Remote ID error, and the sw release notes point out RID but where is the DoC? It has the update for month now and DJI promised Aug 31 so they were early, why no DoC? Because the DoC is probably maintained by interns and it's sloppy and parts of it are broken. The serial number ID lookup does not work because nobody can figure out what a valid serial number is supposed to look like. Even if you take the serial numbers listed in the DoC and plug them in, they results in "Serial Number 1581F4QW000000000000 was not located in the database. Please try another serial number." These are internet database issues that have been confronted and resolved by companies for decades now but apparently still new to the government.

The DoC might contain a bunch of valid RID modules but who know if those are actually really complaint because the government hasn't really tested them. If it's listed, you can fly legally, but don't be surprised if it gets rescinded. I wouldn't worry though because not only will they not test the module but also I don't think they are not much interested in maintaining an accurate database.

My Nano is in the list, it has a DoC....but nobody has that Autel software in their drone. Imagine that, a 250g Autel drone with RID dated 6/30/2023. The Evo Lite is listed twice with 2 docs. The Evo 2 range is inaccurate because it depends on the serial number.

Unfortunately I can no longer point anyone to the government list since it is not correct and inaccurate
Is it truly inaccurate? Or is there maybe some kind of manual filing process involving people on both sides (DJI & FAA) that might cause some delays for newly released aircraft to get added?

As for the list in general, I don't think it matters if the drone is on that list as long as it's capable of transmitting RID data.

Is it truly inaccurate? Or is there maybe some kind of manual filing process involving people on both sides (DJI & FAA) that might cause some delays for newly released aircraft to get added?

As for the list in general, I don't think it matters if the drone is on that list as long as it's capable of transmitting RID data.
It's inaccurate from the standpoint that the users (the public) cannot use the information they need from it. We deserve an accurate list even if that means "Pending" status is added. There could be someone standing at a register in Best Buy trying to make an Air 3 purchase decision.

The Mavic 3 Pro has launched recently and had a timely DoC.
I think we all know the Air 3 just launched but how does the general public know that?
Timing could be an issue but my guess is it's more than that because there are too many other issues.

As I mentioned, I think you are still legal to fly even if you cannot find a DoC but let's keep it honest, if I can fly my drone without a DoC then I expect not to be held accountable when my broadcast module has no DoC, too. Deal? ;)

It's inaccurate from the standpoint that the users (the public) cannot use the information they need from it. We deserve an accurate list even if that means "Pending" status is added.
So, did the FAA drop the ball or did DJI maybe not file the necessary paperwork to get on that list? Whatever the case, I don't think it's the FAA's job to hunt down all drone manufacturers and figure out which models are missing from their list.

I think we all know the Air 3 just launched but how does the general public know that?
Agreed. And I don't think the general public knows RID is a thing and the FAA maintains that list either. And if they did, they could Google "is the dji air 3 rid compliant" and find that answer in several seconds.

There could be someone standing at a register in Best Buy trying to make an Air 3 purchase decision
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for DJI to print that on the exterior of the Air 3 box. They don't seem to mention it anywhere... not even in the Air 3 manual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_