DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't be like me - indoor crash after firmware update.

CaminDFW

Reactions
Ok.. don't be like me.. I know this has been said before but - I was hovering inside after the firmware update just to make sure that everything was working well and to reset all of my preferences. I get a few beeps at 30% and I was like ok.. it won't RTH until hits 10% - WRONG.

Due to the reset in preferences; the Mavic shot up, hit my ceiling, then the wall, then the floor.

Damage was all 4 props, cosmetic damage to one motor and the gimbal dampener popped out.

I did have GPS lock inside but what I find odd is - I was directly over my RTH point.. I don't know why it didn't just land.

My first ever crash and it was the lamest way possible.

I was able to take it in to Drones Plus Dallas to be fixed and should be back to flying this afternoon.

Ok.. don't be like me.. I know this has been said before but - I was hovering inside after the firmware update just to make sure that everything was working well and to reset all of my preferences. I get a few beeps at 30% and I was like ok.. it won't RTH until hits 10% - WRONG.

Due to the reset in preferences; the Mavic shot up, hit my ceiling, then the wall, then the floor.

Damage was all 4 props, cosmetic damage to one motor and the gimbal dampener popped out.

I did have GPS lock inside but what I find odd is - I was directly over my RTH point.. I don't know why it didn't just land.

I was able to take it in to Drones Plus Dallas to be fixed and should be back to flying this afternoon.
Looks like someone didn't read my warning thread.

You know you can change settings without actually flying the thing don't you ;-)

Glad its being fixed quickly and thanks for sharing, it did make me laugh!

****. Yeah we all have those moments. Gotta check those setting as FW updates.

Let me clear up.. I believe the default RTH is when battery power is at 10%. After the update I had about 45% battery left. I reset and started to hover for a while.. got the first few beeps and then it shot up to RTH with in what seemed like less than two minutes. Because I was in all of the sub menus - I didn't see the warnings. Like I said... lamest way ever to crash the Mavic..

I don't ever want anything updating without my consent. Be it a Windows 7 update or a Mavic update or whatever.

This is what I do:

Get a tablet just for flying the mavic, (they are cheap these days)
Don't ever connect it to the Internet ever.
Download the DJI Go app directly as a apk package instead of through Google Play, now enjoy the piece of mind of No updates, no forced firmware updates, etc.

(if you must connect it to the Internet, make sure to put your tablet or device in airplane mode each time BEFORE starting the DJI app or any third party apps like Litchi or whatnot; some android devices also let you go into per application setting to deny a particular application from using data etc)

We need to compile a long list of all the stupid ways that people have damaged or destroyed their Mavics on these forums. ;)

My favorite so far is the one where a Mavic was lost in the San Francisco Bay by someone whose friend suddenly got chicken about the idea of hand-launching a Mavic and ended up accidentally throwing it into the Bay.

Ok everyone- After looking at Healthy Drones data- somehow my home point was recorded as outside... No clue how this happened.. It will be a long time before I fly indoors again...

Reactions: adiru
We need to compile a long list of all the stupid ways that people have damaged or destroyed their Mavics on these forums. ;)

My favorite so far is the one where a Mavic was lost in the San Francisco Bay by someone whose friend suddenly got chicken about the idea of hand-launching a Mavic and ended up accidentally throwing it into the Bay.
True that. That one takes the cake.

Reactions: CaminDFW
Ok everyone- After looking at Healthy Drones data- somehow my home point was recorded as outside... No clue how this happened.. It will be a long time before I fly indoors again...
GPS reception indoors is far from being good.
That means you will likely end up with a high uncertainty of the exact position. This is due to the satellite signals being reflected on their way to the receiver. Having the signals delayed from reflection it easily changes the calculation of the position...

Reactions: Robbyg and CaminDFW
GPS reception indoors is far from being good.
That means you will likely end up with a high uncertainty of the exact position. This is due to the satellite signals being reflected on their way to the receiver. Having the signals delayed from reflection it easily changes the calculation of the position...

That is so true. To test it just bring up google maps on your phone while sitting in the living room.
It typically shows me as being outside somewhere on the lawn.:eek:

Why fly on anything but a full battery? As soon as firmware update was done that battery went straight to the recharger and a freshly charged one swaped in. I will learn however from your story. I didn't know it had no sensor for obstacles above.

I also doubt it "shot up". The elevation rate during RTH is not high. You probably could have canceled it right?

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

That is so true. To test it just bring up google maps on your phone while sitting in the living room.
It typically shows me as being outside somewhere on the lawn.:eek:
Phones additionally use a position generated from the phone cell information (depending on which cells it can receive at a certain signal level this triangulation can be pretty good in urban areas). It can also use known WiFi networks to narrow this position further down. These ones are used until GPS is established.

Your Mavic only has the satellite system...

Sorry to hear about your experience; we can all learn from each other.
Drones Plus Dallas has excellent service.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

GPS is inaccurate indoors or with few satellites. If you go from ATTI mode to GPS since there's a shot you'll catch a GPS signal indoors brace yourself. I hand caught my Mavic. **** the thing is powerful. Almost flew out of my hand. All I did was a quick hover and got some drift.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sorry to hear about your experience; we can all learn from each other.
Drones Plus Dallas has excellent service.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The next version of Mavic really needs sensors on top and sides and back. This indoor hitting the roof is not even your problem it is design flaw in the DJI mavic.
there should be a toggle to tell the drone you are in "indoor mode", like a tripod mode, but one that is mapped directly to the controller and doesn't need app to use.
Then in "indoor mode" it can't climb to RTH, it disables RTH altogether, and automatically switches ON tripod mode while switching OFF obstacle detection.

DJI are you listening?

Reactions: niclariv

I dont know why you should blame the firmware update. :/ Sad crash buddy.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661