DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't drink & Drone in Jersey ..

Racin8de

Reactions
Has anyone heard of a pilot getting busted for Flying a drone while under some type of influence? I heard of 1 person and that was the man from D.C who flew a Phantom on the White House grounds. I'm not for any NEW laws whatsoever Period.

I have never heard of anyone being caught flying a drone under the influence, but in the UK it could be construed as Reckless Flying and could be the basis of prosecution, I can imagine the US can conjure up some law that you have broken if under the influence.
Fortunately there are very few prosecutions in the UK, not because we are all saints, the Police are more interested in other things.

Reactions: Racin8de
Drone flying does attract attention by onlookers/ spectators and I could see if someone approached the drone flyer and they reeked of alcohol that it could present a problem.

It appears the if Flying Commercially with Part 107 the FAA has laws against it. If flying as a hobbyist then it falls under Flying in a Reckless Manner and can still be prosecuted.

Current Laws can be found at the link below.

Don't Drink and Drone - FAA Regulations on Drones & Alcohol -

Reactions: Racin8de
New Jersey is weird. But that makes sense. They dont even allow citizens to pump their own gas I just heard. That is still wigging me out! Must be a union gig this gas pumping thing. OR NJ people are dumb. :D

New Jersey is weird. But that makes sense. They dont even allow citizens to pump their own gas I just heard. That is still wigging me out! Must be a union gig this gas pumping thing. OR NJ people are dumb. :D

I think it was a "Safety" issue thing. Oregon is the same way.

I think it was a "Safety" issue thing. Oregon is the same way.
So NJ people must have accidentally put the nozzle in their mouth when left to do it them selves? OR they started spraying gas all over before they put the nozzle in the car? (Zoolander comes to mind here :D)
I am just saying, usually laws are made because someone screwed up a few times...

Reactions: TowerGuy100
So NJ people must have accidentally put the nozzle in their mouth when left to do it them selves? OR they started spraying gas all over before they put the nozzle in the car? (Zoolander comes to mind here :D)
I am just saying, usually laws are made because someone screwed up a few times...
I say, let Darwin sort it out :eek:...

Reactions: colinfowler
From FAA Part 107 study guide:

FAA-G-8082-22
Remote Pilot – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide

Chapter 9:
Physiological Factors (Including Drugs and Alcohol) Affecting Pilot Performance

Introduction

14 CFR part 107 does not allow operation of small UA if the remote PIC, the person manipulating the controls, or Visual Observer (VO) is unable to safely carry out his or her responsibilities. It is the remote PIC’s responsibility to ensure all crewmembers are not participating in the operation while impaired. While drug and alcohol use are known to impair judgment, certain over-the-counter (OTC) medications and medical conditions could also affect the ability to safely operate a small UA. For example, certain antihistamines and decongestants may cause drowsiness. We also emphasize that part 107 prohibits a person from serving as a remote PIC, person manipulating the controls, VO, or other crewmember if he or she:

• Has consumed any alcoholic beverage within the preceding 8 hours

• Is under the influence of alcohol

• Has a blood alcohol concentration of .04 percent or greater

• Is using a drug that affects the person’s mental or physical capabilities.

There are certain medical conditions, such as epilepsy, may also create a risk to operations. It is the remote PIC’s responsibility to determine that their medical condition is under control and they can safely conduct a small UA operation.

Physiological/Medical Factors that Affect Pilot Performance

Important medical factors that a pilot should be aware of include the following:
  • hyperventilation

• stress

• fatigue

• dehydration

• heatstroke

• the effects of alcohol and drugs

I like being dumb - especially when it's 10F with frozen precip pelting down while my nice warm fat butt is inside waiting for the poor fool pumping my 30 gallon Avalanche to get done.......... :)

Jake

For some reason I had a feeling the article would get some rattled up....;)
Actually the only reason for this bill is a popularity stab from one of the sponsors. The representative mentioned is from Elizabeth, NJ. If you use B4Ufly or UAV Forecast you'll see that Elizabeth is between Newark and Linden and is deeply within the 5 mile limit between both airports, therefore the chances of a drone dropping on her constituents is about zero.

I'm all for responsibility, but this seems like more of a local power grab away from the FAA's jurisdiction. (I know the FAA can't be prosecuting all local infractions, but look at the limitations we're faced with already regarding cities and towns restricting areas of flight). If we are going to have a national set of rules and top it off with local ones the confusion will be total, and the only ones benefiting will be lawyers.

Jake

I know I would fly differently after a good dinner with a lot of wine.
A lot of fatal drone flights happen after such dinners.

Has anyone heard of a pilot getting busted for Flying a drone while under some type of influence? I heard of 1 person and that was the man from D.C who flew a Phantom on the White House grounds. I'm not for any NEW laws whatsoever Period.

And that drunk guy turned out to be an off duty secret service agent.

This was one of 109 bills Christie signed yesterday.......what a swan song.

Guess I'll have to drink my beer through a long straw so I can keep both hands on the sticks.................;)

Jake

Reactions: rfc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy